all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Why Hypertrophy?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
@Joel the Savage, how does training for hypertrophy help with Diabetes Type 2? Everything I read is about losing weight, not gaining it, and I don't find mention of it improving diabetes, just mentions of it being better for body composition which is, in turn, better for diabetes, but we know that there are many ways of improving body composition that don't require hypertrophy beyond simple restoring a normally good amount of muscle mass.

-S-
Lean muscle mass acts as a glucose sink and helps make it easier to clear it out of the bloodstream.

This is going to be a weird question but is eating for hypertrophy even ethical if it's not needed? Shoveling in food you don't need just to be bigger than the guy next door or to impress someone at the beach.

Whether it's fat or muscle mass, you're consuming more than your fair share.

Well, I pay more than the average burden in taxes.

So let's call it ethically even.

Last edited:
If they bought it, it’s theirs?
Seems like a shallow position though. If I take it to some more absurd lengths (but stop short of the obvious human trafficking example), if I buy a dog and beat it, is that ethical? Or if I buy a well and dump poison down it, poisoning the groundwater is that ethical?

If my actions affect others, the ethics of those actions should be considered as a general part of living an examined life.

"most important determining factor"?

Ahead of not smoking, not having substance abuse issues, not having a chronic disease, etc?

It's important, but let's not get carried away.
The IG fitfluencers have been on the “if you smoke but exercise you are better off than the people who don’t smoke but don’t exercise” bandwagon lately.

That's just asinine.
That’s only because you didn’t buy their course/book/pdf to learn why. they have secret knowledge they attained from visiting old libraries and hiring translators to translate forgotten texts about longevity and exercise. The truth has been hidden by the “Big No Smoking” lobbies.

special discount when you use the code “Silveraw” at checkout. Only for valued readers of my posts.

#ad

That’s only because you didn’t buy their course/book/pdf to learn why. they have secret knowledge they attained from visiting old libraries and hiring translators to translate forgotten texts about longevity and exercise. The truth has been hidden by the “Big No Smoking” lobbies.

special discount when you use the code “Silveraw” at checkout. Only for valued readers of my posts.

#ad

Oh and you must buy organic loose leaf tobacco and roll your own with recycled papers.

Well, I pay more than the average burden in taxes.

So let's call it ethically even.
With all due respect, someone starving in the DRC or Libya have nothing to do with your tax burden, aside maybe for the portion that goes toward US foreign policy. In that case the effect would be largely negative anyway.

Our (not) hypothetical starving resident of the DRC might wonder how the Coltan they dug with hand tools made it into your (everyone's) cell phone but failed to put food in their stomach. The starving Libyan might wonder how R2P unleashed billions of $ worth of weapons on their civilian infrastructure but a fraction of that cost in food aid is nowhere to be found. Etc etc.

Not trying to sound holier than thou, I drink a cold one knowing these same people could have eaten bread baked from the barley in my beer. Most of us are largely powerless bit players, more liable to be scammed than help even if we were determined to try via direct action. And I need to keep in shape for my physical job, and for as long as I am able, pass the gravy please.

That’s not quite accurate.

Being too small shortens lifespan quite a bit.

Must be referring to outliers like dudes under 5'8 or something. I suppose a tiny physique might indicate some issues with organs or something, perhaps other abnormalities become more common. It's an interesting topic.

With all due respect, someone starving in the DRC or Libya have nothing to do with your tax burden, aside maybe for the portion that goes toward US foreign policy. In that case the effect would be largely negative anyway.

Our (not) hypothetical starving resident of the DRC might wonder how the Coltan they dug with hand tools made it into your (everyone's) cell phone but failed to put food in their stomach. The starving Libyan might wonder how R2P unleashed billions of $ worth of weapons on their civilian infrastructure but a fraction of that cost in food aid is nowhere to be found. Etc etc.

Not trying to sound holier than thou, I drink a cold one knowing these same people could have eaten bread baked from the barley in my beer. Most of us are largely powerless bit players, more liable to be scammed than help even if we were determined to try via direct action. And I need to keep in shape for my physical job, and for as long as I am able, pass the gravy please.

Solving starvation (or any other problem) in DRC is way outside the moral playing field on which I feel I can have any impact.

It's beyond the scope of any decision tree I have.

I'll happily watch their weightlifters, though.

This is going to be a weird question but is eating for hypertrophy even ethical if it's not needed? Shoveling in food you don't need just to be bigger than the guy next door or to impress someone at the beach.

Whether it's fat or muscle mass, you're consuming more than your fair share.
Dilbert-Thats-not-fair.gif

Back
Top Bottom