all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Apigenin - You Should Take It

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Biphasic sleep theory. Speculative because we can’t go back and prove what people did, but a reasonable hypothesis. Also, there’s a good argument that preindustrial sleep averages were more like 9-10 hours per day.

Based on experiences in my longest backpacking trips, hiking in places where campfires weren’t allowed, both the biphasic sleep and 9-10 hours seems pretty plausible.
I am fascinated that there are TWO traditional forms of biphasic sleep.
Cold climates tended to have the form being discussed - a period of wakefulness in the middle of the night
Hot climates had (and sometimes still have) the tradition of siestas.
The fact that both exist makes it seem even more likely that this is our natural way of sleeping.

I think the amazing sleep when camping is partly from the lack of artificial light, but more to do with the abundant exposure to natural light.

The bleakest cloudy day has a light level of about 1000 lux. The brightest super moon is about 0.3 lux. So in nature the dullest day is about 3000 times brighter than the brightest night. Our body clocks are left in no doubt about what is going on.

In contrast our indoor spaces are constantly at a light level that we would normally only experience around dawn and dusk.
Eg where I am it is about midday. It is a sunny day. I have two large windows near me and a sky light above me. As indoor spaces go it is VERY bright - but still only about 750lux * - less than the outdoor light on a day that we would call bleak. And even a badly lit room in the evening is probably going to reach 30 lux - 100 times as bright as a full moon. So basically if we are indoors, our body clocks are getting very confused messages about what time of day it is, and whether we should be awake or asleep.

* measured on the light meter app on my phone which I installed entirely because I am such a big nerd about this topic.

A second post from me on this but from a different perspective.

I've read several articles over the last few years suggesting that, a few hundred years ago, people didn't expect to sleep through the night and often considered being awake in the middle of the night a time of creativity. I'll see if I can find some links later today and post them. I mention this because I've also read articles that talk about how people seem to feel they don't sleep as well as they get older, and one reason given is that we need less sleep as we get older - my personal feeling is that it's OK not to sleep as "solidly", whatever that may mean, as we age - it's normal and hasn't adversely effected me to the best of my knowledge.
Up until gas\electric lighting humans slept biphasically. This is where the first and second watch comes from. The practice is thought to have evolved as a defence against night predators a long time ago. Industrialisation has meant that people go to bed later and have to get up to go to work. Many people don't get enough sleep... quality of sleep is another problem as well. Older people who have retired and can self regulate there hours more often return to the biphasic pattern and will say they don't need as much sleep as they wake up in the middle of the night.

Sleep phases (REM, deep etc) add complexity to this as older people who are stressed and less active tend to have substantially reduced deep sleep but may sleep a similar duration although it may revert to biphasic sleep.

Sleep at night and stress management by being calm and at ease during the day are both needed. By spending 2-3 times for 10 mins or so in deep mental relaxation in which the mind stills one can learn to allow the relaxation to carry onwards into the rest of the day.

If you get into the old literature written during those times it seems that the waking time in the middle of the night was hypnoidal in nature and similar to the experience of the calm of mental stillness during the day. Mental stillness is also a hypnoidal state.

Hot climates had (and sometimes still have) the tradition of siestas.
Siesta is akin to an informal meditation session in which mental activity slows down as the individual relaxes and mental stillness may occur. It is hypnoidal. Although, sleep will occur if the siesta taking person is short on sleep or gets into a comfortable bed or similar. Otherwise, in a relatively uncomfortable position it involves relaxation towards and sometimes into mental stillness.

The ideas I am mentioning are based on data and are also consistent with the "atavistic regression theory of mental homeostasis" which I am confident that few if any of the readers will be familiar with.

It is easier to identify these things if one has practiced relaxation so the mind slows down and stills. Effortless relaxation in the presence of slight transendable discomfort, as in Dr Ainslie Meares' method.

I think the amazing sleep when camping is partly from the lack of artificial light, but more to do with the abundant exposure to natural light.

The bleakest cloudy day has a light level of about 1000 lux. The brightest super moon is about 0.3 lux. So in nature the dullest day is about 3000 times brighter than the brightest night. Our body clocks are left in no doubt about what is going on.

In contrast our indoor spaces are constantly at a light level that we would normally only experience around dawn and dusk.
Eg where I am it is about midday. It is a sunny day. I have two large windows near me and a sky light above me. As indoor spaces go it is VERY bright - but still only about 750lux * - less than the outdoor light on a day that we would call bleak. And even a badly lit room in the evening is probably going to reach 30 lux - 100 times as bright as a full moon. So basically if we are indoors, our body clocks are getting very confused messages about what time of day it is, and whether we should be awake or asleep.

* measured on the light meter app on my phone which I installed entirely because I am such a big nerd about this topic.
Your light measurements are fairly accurate. Artifical light, like so much else in technology, has had a profound effect on human health and culture as in the biphasic sleep I mentioned in an earlier post in the thread. Also the colour temperature of the light varies during the day and night. Sunlight is high eg 5000K with a lot of blue light and natural night light from the heavens and fires etc has far more red light. Artificial lights vary somewhat.

It's cheap.

It helps you sleep.

It may improve cognitive function.

It reduces stress.

It helps fight cancer.

I've had good results with no side effects.
What's the therapeutic dose? You know, where the magic happens

Can you give a link to that product watchnerd?
Here's one. There are several, amazon etc.

That IS cheap. Ordered.
I've a bag of this arriving tomorrow, will give a heat ck. for 2 weeks ( splitting the bag with a client ), recommended by Bill Lets.
Then will heat ck. the Hav. Apigenin.

Note also, their bread and butter is their proprietary perfect amino and they will claim the ratio of other amino acids can't be overlooked. I take magnesium and large doses of melatonin simultaneously with no problems but I don't add any taurine or glycine or anything else already on the label with it.

@Denys Carthusian Regarding post #35 above
With the exception of the proprietary amino acid blend, you could easily self assemble this as your own stack.

Wow !! Never thought of that but just did a quick reality check, all of those things are available in various sized bags mail order, and buy 2 bags of each all in one place and post free.

Whats the name of this concoction ? ie whats on the front of the black tub am keen to compare prices

Back
Top Bottom