all posts post new thread

David Goggins of Strength Training

Mentally Touch

Yes, the Seals program is to determine the individual are mentally tough enough to endure and not give up.

Some indivuals may be more physically fit. However, unable to grind it out.Goggins has stated quite a few times that his approach is to overcome mental barriers and reach goals rather than systematic performance training. ...you can train despite fatigue, injury, wear and tear, etc

Chroinic OverTraining

Training with this approach ensure chronic fatigue, ensure wear and tear, tirdness, etc.

Periodization Training Cycles

A well forumlated Periodization Training Cycle will include pushing youself to the limit or close to it at time, into OverReaching.

To Reiterate, following it with a New Training Cycle that something light and easly, allows the body to adapt and become stronger.

OverReaching develops some ability to learn to gut it out.

Good Point

Into Thin Air

This book examines how "Eight climbers die on Mount Everest during a storm on May 10, 1996. It was the worst loss of life ever on the mountain on a single day.:

One of the lesser conditioned memeber of the climb was Dr Beck Weathers. Weather survived due to his mental toughness and deteremination, while other fitter individual gave up and died.

DNA

Mental Toughness and dive is essential in some individual DNA.

Dr Jason Curtis

In 2012 at the Albuuquerque Strength Training Clinic (sanction the National Strength and Conditioning Association), Dr Jason Curtis' presentation, post on this forum, examimed "Winning The Challenge" Weight Loss Contest hosted by Define Gym, a local gym with multiple locations.

Curtis did a psychological profile of three goups.

Curtis determined the most successful individual were self driven; essentially it was in their DNA.

With that said, some individual can develop mental touchness over time.

Other will stop when the going get tough.

CrossFit

Overall, the metality of CrossFit of constantly pushing to failure is determental. It is more about determining who is the toughest rather than eliciting effective training results.

Generally, studies have shown that Crossfit people are more likely to get injured than in other sports. Overall, the injury rate is about 20%. https://sportdoctorlondon.com/crossfit-injuries/
An outfitter in Alaska once told me his least favorite clients are military. Rather than turn around, they try and "tough it out." They are all toughness and that leads to poor decision making, especially in the cold, that often costs lives.

Being tough is great... some folks need to "toughen up" ... others need to "wise up."

But the term recovery means something different from person to person, depending on but not limited to your overall resilience and output level.

Take a 5 mile jog for example:

For a Ultramarathon runner, this may very well be a recovery day while for an untrained individual, this may be a exhausting workout.
AutoRegulate

The key to training revolves around AutoRegulating.

On days if it going well, an individual can push it.

On days, when it not going well or it needs to be a recovery day, back off.

Chip McCain

Chip McCain was one of the great Powerlifter in the 1970s and 1980s.

I interviewed McCain on his Deadlift Training.

He alternated Heavy Weeks with Light Recovery Weeks.

1) Light Week

Light 475 lbs X 2

2) Heavy Week Deadlift

675 lb Deadlif X 2 Reps

3) Light Week That Followed

Light 525 lbs X 2

3) Heavy Week

725 x 2

4) Light Week That Followed

550 X 2

5) Heavy Week

800 X 2

McCain AutoRegulated on the Training Load dependent on how each set felt; before the term AutoRegulating exhisted.

The poundage on Light Days were chosen based on how hard it felt. Once it begain to feel heavy, he stopped; saving it for his heavy day.

I quizzed him on why he went to 800 lbs in his final week. His previous Heavy Progression Deadlifter were 50 lbs. Going to 800 lbs was a 75 lb jump.

McCain stated, he knew that he could based on how easy the Warm Up Sets were.

McCain stated, he knew that he could based on how easy the Warm Up Sets were.

5 Mile Run For Ultramarathoner

It may or may not be a light day. It depends on a number of factors.

Last edited:
From, Never Finished: chap. 6

All I know is this: I am David Goggins. I exist: therefore , I complete what I start.
I take pride in my effort and in my performance in all phases of life. Just because I am here!
If I'm lost, I will find myself. As long as I'm on planet Earth, I will not half-a#@ it.
Anywhere I lack, I will improve because I exist and I am willing.

So lately I went down the rabbit hole of David Goggins again, I'm sure he doesn't need an introduction on here.
I'm especially impressed by his seemingly never ending workouts:
Running at least 7 miles (11.2km) every single day, 4x per week calisthenics + weights, daily 2 hours of stretching ...
It reminded me of Jocko Willinks similar workout routine (cycling push, pull, hinge and squat in the morning and BJJ/surfing in the evening, every single day.)
Both famously only RARELY take rest days, Goggins probably never.

I'm currently on @Tim Almond 's double kettlebell C&P plan and really enjoying it and 1-2x per week BJJ, but after fixing my diet recently and adding some supplements, I have more energy than ever before and don't know where to put it.
I'd like to go to the gym more and work on hypertrophy (mainly legs and abs) but don't really know how to program that, so it doesn't interfere with my other training.

What are some ways you could integrate a similar mindset/work ethic?

I actually have no idea who he is

An outfitter in Alaska once told me his least favorite clients are military. Rather than turn around, they try and "tough it out." They are all toughness and that leads to poor decision making, especially in the cold, that often costs lives.

Being tough is great... some folks need to "toughen up" ... others need to "wise up."

If you or the outfitter are interested,

Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonzales

is an interesting read. It validates your point. The ability to stop and think and not panic and respect nature are the key factors. Some training without experience can cause dangerous overconfidence as you said.

Air Force guy who became a seal. Lost a ton of weight to do it. Now he talks about self improvement and self discipline and stuff.
Little more than that.
He's also an Army Ranger and Air Force SF, not just an Air Force guy.
Famously did 3 hell weeks, one on fractured shins.
Set the world pull-up record 4.030 in 17 hours along many different ultra marathon records.
I might be mistaken here but I believe he once ran 3 Ultramarathons in 3 or 4 weeks

Little more than that.
He's also an Army Ranger and Air Force SF, not just an Air Force guy.
Famously did 3 hell weeks, one on fractured shins.
Set the world pull-up record 4.030 in 17 hours along many different ultra marathon records.
I might be mistaken here but I believe he once ran 3 Ultramarathons in 3 or 4 weeks
I'm familiar with what he's done. If he inspires you, great.

If you or the outfitter are interested,

Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonzales

is an interesting read. It validates your point. The ability to stop and think and not panic and respect nature are the key factors. Some training without experience can cause dangerous overconfidence as you said.
Yeah, this thread made me think of that book and the dangers of being too tough - there's a piece in there as I recall about a special forces guy who just laughs when warned about tubing some rapids and then doesn't make it.

From a psychological point I think Goggins is interesting. Brene Brown and her theory of vulnerability seem to be saying exactly the opposite of Goggins. Goggins has a book with the name of You can't hurt me. And I am thinking of course someone can hurt you or anyone else. That is what is called being a human being. You accept things like bad luck, bad parents, tragedy, vulnerability and all these things. You write about it in your diary, or your write a book about it and you speak about it to your friends. That is called bonding.

In terms of training Pavel often says: We don't care about your feelings, you should.... But actually the whole way of StrongFirst is a lot of caring. The teaching teaches you to care about your longterm health, your short-term health, your sleep and your emotionally well-being. As the saying goes: Too much pain, no gain.

David Goggins seems to be preaching more of a war-mentality where you train and train and you heavily rely on your self-discipline and your work-ethic. War mentality is good for people who are living in an extremely difficult situation, chaos, war or maybe inside a dangerous prison, but for most of us, we have peaceful lives, with peaceful partners and we like to have peaceful training regimes. If this is so I think the Strongfirst A+A and similar theories are much more sustainable both in terms of physical and mental health.

Goggins and Jocko have found their niche and are profiting. Good for them. Neither are my cup of tea. Goggins is the Crossfit version of inspirational influencers. It might work fantastic for some people. But for most, you're going to get hurt fighting through the pain. Jocko's 4 AM BS is just that BS. Sleep is so important for recovery. I don't need to take a picture of my watch at 4:22 after taking a leak and start my day. I go back to bed for 2 more hours. Sleep until you have to get up and hopefully that's naturally. If not go to bed earlier if possible.

I truly believe the world has gotten soft with too many things to list here. However, what's the point of killing yourself? Leave some in the tank.

Same with the 75 Hard Program, which I like. But Monday here in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. we got 4 inches of rain and the wind's blowing at 50 MPH. Trees falling on power lines everywhere. I didn't see one person outside walking or working out. I get it, "conditions aren't always perfect." But there is a difference between being tough and disciplined and being a knucklehead.

Goggins and Jocko have found their niche and are profiting. Good for them. Neither are my cup of tea. Goggins is the Crossfit version of inspirational influencers. It might work fantastic for some people. But for most, you're going to get hurt fighting through the pain. Jocko's 4 AM BS is just that BS. Sleep is so important for recovery. I don't need to take a picture of my watch at 4:22 after taking a leak and start my day. I go back to bed for 2 more hours. Sleep until you have to get up and hopefully that's naturally. If not go to bed earlier if possible.

I truly believe the world has gotten soft with too many things to list here. However, what's the point of killing yourself? Leave some in the tank.

Same with the 75 Hard Program, which I like. But Monday here in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. we got 4 inches of rain and the wind's blowing at 50 MPH. Trees falling on power lines everywhere. I didn't see one person outside walking or working out. I get it, "conditions aren't always perfect." But there is a difference between being tough and disciplined and being a knucklehead.
As I have said several times here when these topics arise…

There‘s often a fine line between bada$$ and dumba$$

I respect special operations and tough individuals a lot but we have to be careful not to fetishize or make these people seem infallible. We only see what they choose to show.... We don't see what REALLY goes on behind the scenes. Could be steroids, use hot water in the shower instead of cold water or Jocko could literally wake up at 10 am daily for all we know.

Just because a special operator or MMA fighter uses kettlebells doesn't make you like them. Wearing tan khakis, sunglasses and driving a lifted Tacoma doesn't make you hardcore.

Back
Top Bottom