all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

I find myself losing count of reps during these longer sets. Any recommendations for the 8-9 rep sets?

(The 33% jump from 1.0 to 1.1 is no joke!)
One option is to just do your best but video your session as well, then count reps after. Or time how long a set takes and then set a timer for that period. Not exact of course, otherwise like Pete mentions above, counting down seems easier to keep track of somehow

Are you losing count of your reps during a lift?

Or....

Are you losing count of the number of sets during a session?

If you're losing count of your reps during a lift, I have no advice beyond concentrate on counting your reps during the lift.

If you're having trouble remembering the sets during a session, there are number of ways to remember your count. The simplest solution is the old hash/tally marks on a piece of scrap paper.

I use a children's version of the abacus to keep track of my sets.

Are you losing count of your reps during a lift?

Or....

Are you losing count of the number of sets during a session?

If you're losing count of your reps during a lift, I have no advice beyond concentrate in counting your reps during the lift.

If you're having trouble remembering the sets during a session, there are number of ways to remember your count. The simplest solution is the old hash/tally marks on a piece of scrap paper.

I use a children's version of the abacus to keep track of my sets.
Losing count of reps in sets. I'm pretty sure I did a couple sets of 9 by accident.. I have a notebook I've been marking down sets for a long time now.

I can't see it.
It was just an Amazon link to a 10x10 children's abacus

Giant 1.2 completed this week (recap , that's 1.0,1.1 and 1.2 in a row).
Every time I started a block of Giant I have felt the reps look too hard, then I find they are doable, by the end of the block I feel comfortable with those reps. Just shows the program works.
For 1.2 I've been trying to eat in calorie surplus with a bias towards protein (new for me). I've gained some size around my upper torso, chest, back, shoulders. I wouldn't say I've gain much in my legs, but there has been some shape change to the front of my thighs, although that my also be from spin class once a week, or maybe a combination of the two.
I have no measurements or before/after photos, but T shirts are tighter. My waist has gained a little too, but I think that's a trade off of eating extra for four weeks (admittedly I've not been too careful and have eaten a few too many biscuits at work, work in progress).
What next? Well 2.0 seems logical. I am starting to miss other lifts, but 2.0 is only another four weeks, so I plan to continue and stay in calorie surplus.
As an observation, I have found it considerably easier working out in calorie surplus than when at maintenance or calorie deficit.

Hello everyone
I am very happy that I just completed week 2 of Giant 1.2 with double 20s. This week is 25:00 of work and here are my numbers:
W2D1: 56 Reps
W2D2: 54 Reps
W2D3: 56 Reps

I am very happy with my numbers because prior to starting this phase I was worried the rep ranges were a lot but I am very satisfied that I could do them with confidence. I am also excited because next week is gonna be the hardest week with 30:00 of work!

That certainly can work but don't underestimate the need for a weekly "deload" of sorts.
Those singles days were typically my hardest days where I got the most reps... I think last singles day I did with Easy Muscle with a barbell this summer, I was doing a single every 30s. It was exhausting - very close to being out of breath and dripping sweat.

Those singles days were typically my hardest days where I got the most reps... I think last singles day I did with Easy Muscle with a barbell this summer, I was doing a single every 30s. It was exhausting - very close to being out of breath and dripping sweat.
that was my recollection of last week of Giant 3.0. It was like running a 5k.

Same here, completely counter intuitive. I would have guessed that on Giant 3, I would get most reps on triples day, then doubles day, then singles. I a going to attempt to explain that doing singles keeps the heart rate from spiking, ou get a fairly even heart rate throughout. This is like running a 5k with an even pace - i.e a good strategy as compared to a series of intervals and rests which will not be quite so fast. The fact that I was getting a good rep count on singles day contributed to me incorporating a heavier bell for some of the reps. I plan on doing all reps of week four of Giant 3 on singles day with the heavier bell. I would not say this was necessarily a better strategy but I like the stimulus of the variety. Giant 3 has been my first attempt at The Giant. It is good and have no complaints, but I doubt I will stick with it, I feel lower body is not hit enough. I dont really fancy going for the high rep versions either. Geoff recently sent out an email praising low rep heavy lifting and it is my preference too. I am thinking going forward something like Iron Cardio/armour building will be better for me. Clean, press, squat. 3x per week. Likely on off days do the rowing machine for the Zone 2 benefits. For me this "polarised" training is where I feel comfortable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom