all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Dry fighting weight is another option that ticks all my boxes. Full body, low reps, heavy. DFW, iron cardio, armour building all seem to be closely related permutations of a theme. Maybe there is a little magic in the exact way DFW is laid out, but I am going to guess that any combination of C+P, squat, snatch, maybe swing, 3 times per week, 20-45 minutes, 5 reps and under per set, pushing for some evidence of progressive overload will cut it.

Last edited:
I just finished week 3 of Giant 1.2 with double 20s! Here are my numbers for this week (30:00) of work:

W3D1: 70 Reps
W3D2: 63 Reps
W3D3: 72 Reps

I am very happy that I finished the hardest week of Giant 1.2 and also because I had done 1.0 - 2.0 - 1.1 Prior to this. Next week is gonna be deload week and after that I am probably gonna test my RM with double 24s just to know that number although I am thinking of doing KSK after just to change things a bit and keep them exciting.

Hey yall. I am new to lifting and working out (injured deadlifting a decade ago when i started lifting, havent lifted since) working through shoulder

I just finished week 3 of Giant 1.2 with double 20s! Here are my numbers for this week (30:00) of work:

W3D1: 70 Reps
W3D2: 63 Reps
W3D3: 72 Reps

I am very happy that I finished the hardest week of Giant 1.2 and also because I had done 1.0 - 2.0 - 1.1 Prior to this. Next week is gonna be deload week and after that I am probably gonna test my RM with double 24s just to know that number although I am thinking of doing KSK after just to change things a bit and keep them exciting.
You’re catching me up! nice work.
I’m having to take some time out from training due to not feeling well.

Hey yall. I am new to lifting and working out (injured deadlifting a decade ago when i started lifting, havent lifted since) working through shoulder
Not sure why this got cut off. Anyways…

….working through a shoulder rehab routine from my orthopedic guy, I have been pressing my wife’s 10lb as the pain has been decreasing. I bought 2 20lb bells and did 3 sets of 7 (plus random reps to work on my technique) yesterday and don’t have any pain today. Could have done sets of 10. My question is: would it be worth me doing the giant since I can only use 20 pounders right now? I started swinging a 16 and a 24 a couple weeks back. I purchased the giant already but with such light weight I don’t know if it’s worth it yet or if I should do sets x reps until I can press the 16. I am too afraid to try the 16 yet and set myself back 2 years. But the 20lb ones appear to be fine.

Not sure why this got cut off. Anyways…

….working through a shoulder rehab routine from my orthopedic guy, I have been pressing my wife’s 10lb as the pain has been decreasing. I bought 2 20lb bells and did 3 sets of 7 (plus random reps to work on my technique) yesterday and don’t have any pain today. Could have done sets of 10. My question is: would it be worth me doing the giant since I can only use 20 pounders right now? I started swinging a 16 and a 24 a couple weeks back. I purchased the giant already but with such light weight I don’t know if it’s worth it yet or if I should do sets x reps until I can press the 16. I am too afraid to try the 16 yet and set myself back 2 years. But the 20lb ones appear to be fine.

You said two important things: 1. You are new to KBs. 2. You are new to lifting.

In my opinion your two goals at this point should be to develop proper kettlebell technique and develop strength.

To accomplish these goals, pick an entry level program such as Pavel's famous Simple & Sinister. Simple & Sinister can take you from brand new with KBs to an advanced KB practioner if you stay with the program through the Sinister goal.

The Giant and double kettlebell programs in general are intermediate to advanced programs.

My advice is to begin with Simple & Sinister. You will learn about you, your body, proper KB technique, build strength and, most importantly, stay injury free.

Accomplish at least the Timeless Simple standard and then decide if you're going to stay and complete the Timed Simple standard or try another program. This would be the time to learn doubles and try the Giant.

Hey thank you. Right now I am doing around 450 swings a week between 1 and 2H with 16 and 24. My PT includes presses (floor press) but was thinking of swapping to overhead since I’m making progress there. I was even thinking 3.0 to keep numbers low.

At what point in the Giant 1.x process is the RM retest?

I don't see it mentioned in the Giant pdf.
I was planning on doing a RM test on December 31st when I finish the OG Giant cycle.

I finish 2.0 this week and start 1.1 on Monday. I will finish 1.2 during the Holidays on December 29th (I have some travel coming up. )

I plan to begin Strong! with 32s on January 1st.

At what point in the Giant 1.x process is the RM retest?

I don't see it mentioned in the Giant pdf.
Any time you are curious. I test only at beginning of a new cycle, and only if unsure about what weight to use. I call it “set 1”, then do 3-5 sets more of the high rep day and call it, week1, day1.

For whatever its worth, I only really tested after I got all four phases (2.0, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2). Used the same weight from start to finish.
It was interesting to see how the "tough 10 RM" weights (meaning probably a 9 RM with a lousy tenth rep) was eventually done in multiple sets of 9!

For whatever its worth, I only really tested after I got all four phases (2.0, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2). Used the same weight from start to finish.
It was interesting to see how the "tough 10 RM" weights (meaning probably a 9 RM with a lousy tenth rep) was eventually done in multiple sets of 9!
I always thought of Giant as a 16-week cycle that had been divided up into 4 blocks. Take a couple days off at the end and test (an imaginary 17th week).

Back
Top Bottom