all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Glycolytic power repeats programming

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Zuluando

First Post
Hi everyone,
In Pavel's article on The Best All-Around Training Method Ever, someone asked about how that program could be optimized for hypertrophy. Pavel's responded to include some glycolytic power repeats in combination with the regular program, and made reference to a specific newsletter (9/15/20 issue). I guess it would be something in the line with glycolytic power efforts (20-50sec) done with extra long, 10-30min rest periods. But I wouldn't know how to program a full block of this type of training. I would like to know if anyone has a copy of this newsletter or could advise me on the type of training mentioned. Thank you so much

Hi everyone,
In Pavel's article on The Best All-Around Training Method Ever, someone asked about how that program could be optimized for hypertrophy. Pavel's responded to include some glycolytic power repeats in combination with the regular program, and made reference to a specific newsletter (9/15/20 issue). I guess it would be something in the line with glycolytic power efforts (20-50sec) done with extra long, 10-30min rest periods. But I wouldn't know how to program a full block of this type of training. I would like to know if anyone has a copy of this newsletter or could advise me on the type of training mentioned. Thank you so much
I have asked a similar question on the forum.
@Adachi gave some valuable answers:
He also links his own thread with additional info.

And here are Pavel's answers from the forum:
To go for hypertrophy all the way, you would do sets of 20-25 with longer rests. To go AXE all the way, lower reps (4-6) and more sets.
Timothy, ~100 reps is right, 5-10min rest, 2/week with one hard and one easy day. At Strong Endurance I explain how it works and how it is different from metcons.

And here is Pavel's description from a Gear Patrol interview:
One version of glycolytic training we have been very successful with at my organization involves “repeats” rather than “intervals”. Do three to five all-out sets of 15 to 25 reps of a quick-lift kettlebell snatch, jerk or swing — for, with long recovery, about five minutes, between them. Recovery must be active: walk around, shake the tension out of your muscles, do breathing exercises. This protocol produces impressive body composition changes and performance — “what the hell effects”.

And here is @Adachi's most recent description, including lessons learned:

Lessons were learned
Two days a week was just right. A light day and a heavy day.

I think now that the range of 25 to 30 reps is something for lighter bells. An S-minus sized bell, as it were.

15-20 reps work for a so-called S-Weight or an S-plus-weight.

Conclusion
Here is my finalized recommendation.
Swings and Pushups ( or other quick lifts )
8-12 weeks.
2 days per week, a heavy day and a light day.

Proposed Hypertrophy Cycle
WeekLightHeavy
115/215/2
215/215/3
315/215/4
415/215/5
515/215/6
620/220/2
720/220/3
820/220/4
Notes:

• Repeat week 8 for 4 weeks or more.
  • Substitute 15/2 if you are feeling down.
  • Upgrade your heavy day to 20/5 if you are feeling powerful.
  • Introduce a heavier bell +4~8kg on a light day, to get a taste of the higher intensity.
  • After 12 or more weeks consider starting again with a heavier bell altogether. +4~8kg
  • Move on to other training when you are ready.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer @Bauer. I have found this other Pavel’s routine.

Abrir pdfcoffee.com_building-muscle-with-kettle-bells-pavel-pdf-free.png
It's in a 2007 article that I don't know where it comes from because I don't see the brand of either SF or RKC. The differences I see is that the reps never go up from 10, in addition to the fact that it includes grinds and complexes. I don't know if it could continue to be categorized as a “glycolitic power repeats” routine. In addition, being from that year, I suppose that some aspects have become obsolete or can be improved. In my case I have a physically demanding job and I think that the shorter sets could help reduce fatigue. I guess they would still be enough to gain muscle. The rests suggested by Pavel are one and two minutes, but he already refers to longer rests of 5,10,30 and 60 mins. Anyway, I would like to know your opinion on this.

Thank you @korcun and @Roland Roppelt! When I had some down time at work a few years ago, I actually started saving posts (from others) in a Word document and I still draw from that. I try to add to it here and there.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer @Bauer. I have found this other Pavel’s routine.

View attachment 23096
It's in a 2007 article that I don't know where it comes from because I don't see the brand of either SF or RKC. The differences I see is that the reps never go up from 10, in addition to the fact that it includes grinds and complexes. I don't know if it could continue to be categorized as a “glycolitic power repeats” routine. In addition, being from that year, I suppose that some aspects have become obsolete or can be improved. In my case I have a physically demanding job and I think that the shorter sets could help reduce fatigue. I guess they would still be enough to gain muscle. The rests suggested by Pavel are one and two minutes, but he already refers to longer rests of 5,10,30 and 60 mins. Anyway, I would like to know your opinion on this.
I would not use that one, especially if you want to tweak it anyway.

This one is based on Glycolytic Power Repeats as well:

What are your goals right now? What is your intention for this thread?

The StrongFirst Training App might have some options for you, like the Swing Sandwich, for example.

My goal is to gain some extra muscle and the goal of this thread is to find a suitable routine for it. I am currently training with two alternating 6-week cycles with Iron cardio and Pavel's kettlebell strongfirst (C&J routine), both with a pair of 32 kg kettlebells. Since Pavel mentioned including a Glycolitic power repeats routine, I wanted to include one of those. I wouldn't mind including a hypertrophy routine that included grinds and not just power movements. Sorry if there was missing details from the beginning. I like the Braking muscle routine but I don't have enough kettlebells to make the intensity adjustments. I was looking for something simpler, with a double kettlebell fixed weight for example.

My goal is to gain some extra muscle and the goal of this thread is to find a suitable routine for it. I am currently training with two alternating 6-week cycles with Iron cardio and Pavel's kettlebell strongfirst (C&J routine), both with a pair of 32 kg kettlebells. Since Pavel mentioned including a Glycolitic power repeats routine, I wanted to include one of those. I wouldn't mind including a hypertrophy routine that included grinds and not just power movements. Sorry if there was missing details from the beginning. I like the Braking muscle routine but I don't have enough kettlebells to make the intensity adjustments. I was looking for something simpler, with a double kettlebell fixed weight for example.
Ok, good to know.

Geoff Neupert's plans might be something for you then. Easy Muscle can be run with Double C&P and Front Squats. The Giant with Dbl C&P. No ballistics, though.

You could also do Glycolytic Power Repeats, 2x per week + 1x Iron Cardio.

Or try Swings and Power Pushups - especially with Plan 015 ("Victor") from the Quick and the Dead.

-

And then there are two plans with ladders that might work well for 6 week blocks:

Both plans with 3 exercises (PUSH, PULL, SQUAT), 10 RM exercises

2-4-6 Ladders
2x(2,4,6) --> 5x(2,4,6)
Alternate days with 10RM and one bell lighter
Repeat each session once

Built Strong Die Roll
Ladders of (4,6) with 10RM
Independent rolls per exercise

Possibly tweak the ladder if the RM is different than 10 (ladder of 4-5 with a 9 RM etc).

Very valuable information @Bauer. I think I'm going to start combining Glycolytic Power Repeats, 2x per week + 1x Iron Cardio. It may be just what I need. Thanks for your time and your help!

Back
Top Bottom