all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell AXE - general discussion

So how exactly would the "hypertrophy all the way" program look like? 100 reps per training day or more? And what would guide the rests (I assume "longer" means "longer than in S&S proper" and thus "longer than indicated by the talk test")? Would such training, since it would produce much more acid, still result in undesirable metabolic adaptations similar to those induced by typical HIIT/metcon training?

Thank you for answering so many question in this thread. Reading it has been illuminating.

Here is a swing+MP plan from 2015. Sets of 25 swings with three minutes of rest, 3x a week.

3 Quick Total Body Workouts Recommended by the Pros

Here is a swing+MP plan from 2015. Sets of 25 swings with three minutes of rest, 3x a week.

3 Quick Total Body Workouts Recommended by the Pros
Nice one! The adjacent interview covers the basics of AXE and glycolytic power repeats (back in 2015):

@Pavel: Thanks again for all your answers and claryfing things before they get lost in interpretation :)

Reading a second time through AXE, I found that the Easy Interval Method (for endurance training) by Klaas Lok sounds a lot like those AGT protocols for swimmers you mention. Shorter bouts above the threshold (or longer bouts around the threshold), with easy aerobic recovery, usually of equal distance + a few seconds of walking before and after.

Timothy, ~100 reps is right, 5-10min rest, 2/week with one hard and one easy day. At Strong Endurance I explain how it works and how it is different from metcons.
Thank you very much for expanding on this, Pavel.

Thanks, I haven't encountered neither that nor the Pavel interview on the same site before.

Hey Pavel great book, i improved siginficant in my Swings. today i did 20x5 with the 44 kg. Last week i worked on the fourths to the end.

My Question: Can i do three days of Axe and on the days between S&S get ups?

pS : The Axe completes my pull ups as well. I do every morning 3 to 5 Sets of them. With the Axe i can do now 15 Reps. I was able to jump over my Plateau on 12 reps

Hi everyone.

It's been quite some time since I've posted. I have two little girls at home now and haven't prioritized my fitness as much. I'd like to start working on that and have a long and decently grueling hike penciled in next year that's been on my bucket list for years (Half Dome). I picked up Kettlebell Axe yesterday and would like to use it to help build my base. I also really enjoy olympic lifting and would to work that in as well. I'm thinking about working out on Mon/Wed/Fri; AXE, lifting, lifting. Does this seem like a good basic framework?

My lifting tends to be moderate. I often do 5 sets of snatch doubles followed by five C&J singles, or 3-5 sets of a C&J/Squat/Squat complex, followed by three sets of Sn/OHS/OHS.

Hi everyone.

It's been quite some time since I've posted. I have two little girls at home now and haven't prioritized my fitness as much. I'd like to start working on that and have a long and decently grueling hike penciled in next year that's been on my bucket list for years (Half Dome). I picked up Kettlebell Axe yesterday and would like to use it to help build my base. I also really enjoy olympic lifting and would to work that in as well. I'm thinking about working out on Mon/Wed/Fri; AXE, lifting, lifting. Does this seem like a good basic framework?

My lifting tends to be moderate. I often do 5 sets of snatch doubles followed by five C&J singles, or 3-5 sets of a C&J/Squat/Squat complex, followed by three sets of Sn/OHS/OHS.

Good to see you back, @JamesO !

All Terrain Conditioning protocols would be great for Half Dome hiking prep. For starters, follow Derek Toshner and Kenneth Bolyard on IG.

hike penciled in next year that's been on my bucket list for years (Half Dome).
AXE will certainly help. In my opinion however, you might consider spending as much time as you can doing actual locomotive trail work. i.e. Lots of hiking and trail running.
I assume you mean the ‘cable route’. I also assume that you know that you (apparently) require reservations and permits these days. I remember coming down that trail in the late 70’s after a climb of Half Dome…

Is excessive heat production an indication of glycolysis?
From section re acid "An AXE to Grind with HIIT"; "mitochondria... ...wasting energy as heat..."
Heat dissipation is a function of the ambient atmospheric conditions as well as the individual's physiology.
I've noticed some sessions, e.g. BTS and 3 rep LCCJ, cause me to overheat more. In contrast I can walk or lightly jog and not break a sweat.
I'm interested, Is it just a sign of the additional work being undertaken or an indicator for the energy pathway be used?

Hey Pavel great book, i improved siginficant in my Swings. today i did 20x5 with the 44 kg. Last week i worked on the fourths to the end.
Mmabjj, thank you.
My Question: Can i do three days of Axe and on the days between S&S get ups?
Yes. If you find it too much, scale back on one or the other.
pS : The Axe completes my pull ups as well. I do every morning 3 to 5 Sets of them. With the Axe i can do now 15 Reps. I was able to jump over my Plateau on 12 reps
How exactly do you program the pullups?

Hi everyone.

James, given the low volume of your WL training, you can do AXE swings right after.

Is excessive heat production an indication of glycolysis?
From section re acid "An AXE to Grind with HIIT"; "mitochondria... ...wasting energy as heat..."
Heat dissipation is a function of the ambient atmospheric conditions as well as the individual's physiology.
I've noticed some sessions, e.g. BTS and 3 rep LCCJ, cause me to overheat more. In contrast I can walk or lightly jog and not break a sweat.
I'm interested, Is it just a sign of the additional work being undertaken or an indicator for the energy pathway be used?
Pete, maybe yes and maybe not. I am not aware of any way of answering this question outside a lab.

Now that the latest book has been released I'm hoping that there are more books in the pipeline. Another epic works like Naked Warrior. My favourite Pavel title. Another bodyweight flavored book would be welcome.

Back
Top Bottom