all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell AXE - general discussion

Pavel, now I only have access to one kettlebell, is it possible to do a kettlebell Axe with a dead stop swing as a more complicated progression, say 3-4 OTM? Thank you!

Good to see you back, @JamesO !

All Terrain Conditioning protocols would be great for Half Dome hiking prep. For starters, follow Derek Toshner and Kenneth Bolyard on IG.
Thanks, Anna! It was exciting to see you mentioned in the book, and I'm looking forward to looking through your training log to see how you organize what you do. I'll def check out those references.
AXE will certainly help. In my opinion however, you might consider spending as much time as you can doing actual locomotive trail work. i.e. Lots of hiking and trail running.
I assume you mean the ‘cable route’. I also assume that you know that you (apparently) require reservations and permits these days. I remember coming down that trail in the late 70’s after a climb of Half Dome…
Agree. Time on the trails is def in the plans, and I was thinking about ordering a sled for sled-pulls to mimic some hills.

And yes, the cables. I hate that the variable we can't control (the permits) might be the most important one!

Hit my 4th session post test today... Will hit 1 more light session this Sat, I'm doing x6 OTM, tested @14NR

Tonight was easiest session yet, easily a 5-6 RPE. Will hit 2HSW Sat and GTG before I push to a new standard Mon

Hopefully will hit the 20+NR next time I reset my step

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-11-19-43-45-990.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-11-19-43-45-990.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 25
Serjetto, yes. Start with a rep every 30sec, after owning 40min of such work, every 20sec, then 15sec (which might be too much).
Pavel, just out of curiosity... How would you progress the swing protocol from the newsletter? 1 swing E:20

Once you build up to 40min would you reset and start mixing 2 reps E:20? Something like 2-1-1 -> 2-2-1 -> 2-2-2 add weight

I think it's awesome you're active on the forum! Hope all is well & love the work SF puts out

Pavel, just out of curiosity... How would you progress the swing protocol from the newsletter? 1 swing E:20

Once you build up to 40min would you reset and start mixing 2 reps E:20? Something like 2-1-1 -> 2-2-1 -> 2-2-2 add weight

I think it's awesome you're active on the forum! Hope all is well & love the work SF puts out
Really wish to know that as well.
Done the protocol for a few weeks. Feels absolutely wonderful!

Dear Pavel, kudos on another interesting program! Hits at the right time here, shifting gears to shorter sessions over the next 6 months..

Any trouble running a 20rep squat set in the evening after axe in the morning 3x week on the same days? Choose weight, warm up and then hit one good set. The idea is to add a press and a third movement that addresses weakness or supports gpp. Would you rather press after axe or squats?

Aim of building the legs, furthering mitochondria development and bullet proofing my shoulders. Timeless S&S accomplished. Well, as written in 2.0 on the 3' and 1'. Definitely don't mean to monkey with the works, just would like to continue building the legs for the next year and stay all around fit.

I made an offhand comment to Pavel (vis a vis “Flow”)which made it into the book.
“But what if the kettlebell swing bores you out of your skull?
Randy Hauer, former StrongFirst Certified Team Leader, makes a no-holds-barred observation: ‘Boring resides within the individual, not in the activity itself.’
Learn to love the swing.”

Did my 66th Birthday workout this a.m. a few days early (just in case I don’t make it to next Monday) to show that I do walk the talk to some degree. 66 min (min per year) H2H swings, 330L+330R =660 total. (The active recovery got me 5k steps fwi. Went w/ 16kg bell because I am old, weak and pathetic with two artificial hips. But feeling pretty good regardless.)

Last edited:
I made an offhand comment to Pavel which made it into the book.
“But what if the kettlebell swing bores you out of your skull?
Randy Hauer, former StrongFirst Certified Team Leader, makes a no-holds-barred observation: ‘Boring resides within the individual, not in the activity itself.’
Learn to love the swing.”

Did my 66th Birthday workout this a.m. a few days early (just in case I don’t make it to next Monday) to show that I do walk the talk to some degree. 66 min (min per year) H2H swings, 330L+330R =660 total. (The active recovery got me 5k steps fwi. Went w/ 16kg bell because I am old, weak and pathetic with two artificial hips. But feeling pretty good regardless.)

If I were 66, I would be happy with this. Well done!

AXE has improved my yoga practice(?!)

I find that my inhale and exhale are much longer and calmer, which allows me to go far deeper into the poses.

A nice WTHE indeed.

Thanks, Anna! It was exciting to see you mentioned in the book, and I'm looking forward to looking through your training log to see how you organize what you do. I'll def check out those references.

Agree. Time on the trails is def in the plans, and I was thinking about ordering a sled for sled-pulls to mimic some hills.

And yes, the cables. I hate that the variable we can't control (the permits) might be the most important one!
Weighted Ruck Step Ups

I live in WA and I an in the mountains weekly. I did some private training with Derek. One of the most helpful things we did was weighted ruck step ups. I attached a link and I highly recommend this for hiking/climbing. I also recommend doing this in front of the TV or while listening to a podcast, as they can be boring. But crazy effective!

James, that is one option but you are unlikely to make it to RPM 6 with a heavy bell.

Thank you!

Dear Pavel, kudos on another interesting program! Hits at the right time here, shifting gears to shorter sessions over the next 6 months..
Thank you, Aziatik.

Any trouble running a 20rep squat set in the evening after axe in the morning 3x week on the same days? Choose weight, warm up and then hit one good set. The idea is to add a press and a third movement that addresses weakness or supports gpp. Would you rather press after axe or squats?
20 rep SQs are the opposite of AGT and kill mitochondria. I would save AXE for a time when you are not doing them.
Aim of building the legs, furthering mitochondria development and bullet proofing my shoulders. Timeless S&S accomplished.
Excellent.
Well, as written in 2.0 on the 3' and 1'. Definitely don't mean to monkey with the works, just would like to continue building the legs for the next year and stay all around fit.
Pardon me, I do not understand the question.

Serjetto, yes. Start with a rep every 30sec, after owning 40min of such work, every 20sec, then 15sec (which might be too much).
A small handful of us unofficially and not organized at all did this very thing using different lifts and it was a handful! Swings weren't too bad but snatches were a different story all together. Same with heavy goblet squats. Two hand cleaning a 48kg bell and then doing a deep and controlled goblet squat every 30 seconds took it out of me quick. I think I made it ten minutes.

I really enjoy kettlebell axe, but I'm finding the hand of hand swings with a 32 kg kettlebell to be not challenging at all My heart rate isn't really up, I'm not really breathing heavy and I'm not saying any of the other signs that the kettlebell is challenging. Should I switch to a snatching or or is there any other way I can make it more challenging where am I at the appropriate challenge rating?

I really enjoy kettlebell axe, but I'm finding the hand of hand swings with a 32 kg kettlebell to be not challenging at all My heart rate isn't really up, I'm not really breathing heavy and I'm not saying any of the other signs that the kettlebell is challenging. Should I switch to a snatching or or is there any other way I can make it more challenging where am I at the appropriate challenge rating?
Have you completed the test? Starting with x4 OTM & trying to land btw 10-20 sets? Have you bumped the reps up to x6 OTM? Heavier weight?

Snatches are definitely an option though

Back
Top Bottom