all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Lazy Endurance" swing protocol - how it went

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
Completed 6 weeks today.
4 session per week.
Up to 60 minutes per session.
1H swings, HEAVY. (32kg for me).
Post-tests to be completed next week (10 min snatch test for reps, 10 min run for distance).

Observations thus far: Lower resting HR. Arm and back muscles greatly advanced in strength, resilience, definition, and ability. Skills increased: power in the swing, recovery breathing, grip.

Interested to hear what others report. We had quite a lively group in the A+A forum!

Here is one of my final sets of swings from this morning -- slow-mo video:

Last edited:
Superb! You improved your form another time (neck positioning). Beautiful, explosive swings with a heavy weight.

I just realized what I wrote there -- Skills increased - grip. That's not how one would usually put it. But yes, I do think that was it. I learned the skill of correctly gripping the bell for heavy swings. I'm sure my grip strength and grip endurance also increased, but it was the intensity of the long sessions that made it essential to attend to the details of the grip and get ahead of its effects.

And yes, as I mentioned in my training log, "Six Weeks to Tougher Hands" could be another name for this protocol. :)

Thanks, Henningb and Harald!

By curiosity as I have progressed 10 weeks into S&S same bell but a transition from weak 2 handers to a more explosive 1 hander.

Have a feeling of overcoming weak links in my body one by one. First out was ankles and lower back, then abs sides as switched to 1 hander and now lower neck and shoulders as I go more explosive.

Is this progress similar to yours?

Have a feeling of overcoming weak links in my body one by one.

You have it right there. Everyone's progress is different because of the weak links that exist. Kind of like life in general... it's a matter of attending to the weak links, but also capitalizing on the strengths to propel the whole thing forward in a continuous improvement. Continue your practice, and you will continue to reap the rewards...

Well done, Anna! My hands are cramping just watching you swing that 32kg bell. I like the "overcoming weak links in my body one by one" quote by Henningb, that's a great way of describing S&S. That's probably why my hands are cramping watching Anna, I think my grip is a weak link though I never would have thought that before.

Every time I need a boost to start up a days training session, all I have to do is peruse this board and I usually find something that gives me a boot in the behind. Thanks Anna!

Massive float on that swing Anna.

I'm a couple of sessions behind you but I would agree with your observations (haven't measured resting HR for a while though).

In terms of grip strength I am within a whisker of closing a COC number 1 gripper - I was nowhere near 6 weeks ago and I have done no gripper training. I can also bottom-up clean a 20 kg bell routinely now.

I feel like my hip hinge has got stronger - cleans for 28 kg bell I am using for cleans and presses are now effortless.

I'll be interested to see the final test results - I havent run a step in 6 weeks so how the 10 minute run goes will be anyone's guess.

This protocol was the first time I have used a timer and done swings every minute on the minute, I love the focus of it and the efficiency - you know exactly how long a session will last.

I just realized what I wrote there -- Skills increased - grip. That's not how one would usually put it. But yes, I do think that was it. I learned the skill of correctly gripping the bell for heavy swings.

Nice Job Anna! Looking strong with that 32! Anything you can describe on your grip insights or something you have to feel? I'm about half way through a SF snatch protocol with the 32 and I've definitly learned that I need to learn about grip :p It's definitely my weak link at the moment. I figured out when I popped a callus off that I'm relying on the skin of my palm to keep the bell in my hand much the way you can use a wrap. It's like the job of pressing the handle into my palm and relying on the palm skin to absorb some of the downward force is much easier than taking all the force on the fingers... at least until you skin gives in... not pleasant.

This looks like a superb program for anyone wanting to ramp-up conditioning. For anyone wanting to cut weight, I bet it is brilliant at that, too.

@S. G. Mason , as with anything else, it is only brilliant at cutting weight if you attend to your diet! I gained 2-3 pounds in 6 weeks. I'd be willing to say that 1 pound might be muscle, but I also tend to eat a bit too much this time of year, and I have been a bit lax with the diet qualities/quantities in general. Will take care of this after New Year's.

@TravisDirks I think the lessons of the swing grip will help with the snatch grip, but the snatch requires even more technique. I've reached the level of "adequate" with my snatch grip, but not "expert" as it now feels with the swing. I think the best advice is from S&S (page 35): "Do not overgrip the bell in swings. Hook the handle with your fingers and try not to pinch the callusses at the bases of the fingers. As you get more skilled, you will find ways to rest the grip in certain phases of the swing, and regrip on the fly." That feels like what happened with me as I progressed. Two other things: A VERY careful set-up grip before the initial hike -- solid contact with all fingers hooked around the handle -- and, letting the 4 fingers share the load equally throughout the swing.

Also worth emphaizing (also page 35) "If it feels like a calluse or blister is about to go, stop to swing another day." For swings, snatches, and anything else. I tore only one during the 6 weeks - fortunately it was the middle of my ring finger, and was fairly easy to band-aid/tape for subsequent sessions. Palms are not so easy. Complete healing after one rips off completely takes several weeks. It's just not worth it.

@krg Great job with your sessions, almost to the end! I also really enjoyed the "on the minute" aspect of the protocol. Can't wait to see your results.

Last edited:
My data and results from the Lazy Endurance swing protocol, 6 week program:

PRE-TESTS
10 min run test: 1.30 miles in 10 min
10 min 12kg snatch test: 218 reps in 10 min w/ 12kg

SWING SESSIONS
6 weeks, 4 sessions per week, performed as prescribed, all 1H w/ 32kg

POST-TESTS
10 min run test: 1.30 miles in 10 min
10 min 12 kg snatch test: 245 reps in 10 min w/ 12kg, 12% improvement over pre-test

As many reported with the post-test, the effort felt much better. I was able to keep up a high intensity throughout the effort, and felt fine afterwards. The run time did not increase, but I was happy with that result even so, because I had been running prior to the pre-test and had not run at all during the 6-week protocol. I had improved my run time while doing the 102 protocol over the summer, and have maintained that through both of these tests -- this speed is, by the way, faster than I've even run in my life for > 1 mile, and I'm 48 years old and not exactly light on my feet, at just over 160 lb!! And I used to be a lot more of a regular runner than I am now! I can definitely say that in my experience, kettlebell swings do amazing things for running abilities. As for the snatch test improvement, I'm definitely happy with that, and I think it may have been even better than that if I can improve some of my snatch technique points. In the near future I plan on working specifically on snatching and work up to being able to do a good 10 min test with my regular snatch-test bell of 16kg.

Observations on body changes after the 6-week protocol:
-- hands are stronger and tougher
-- arms are really solidly built muscle, but not any bulkier
-- upper back has a lot more solid muscle between shoulder blades
-- not any noticeable changes in the legs, but hips and hip flexors feel very solid and strong, glutes definitely stronger
-- shoulder posture/position feels a bit better
-- seems to have maintained strength in movements such as press, pull-up, deadlift, squat without specifically training them
-- running, bike riding, and snatch test at or around lactate threshold feels different; less of that burning feeling, able to keep going longer at high intensity
-- average resting HR down at least 3 bpm; two days had reading about 6 bpm lower than normal

Observations on the protocol:
-- Nicely designed sessions. All works well and allows focus on technique, recovery, etc. rather than heart rate.
-- Heavy 1H swings with plenty of recovery is a superior way to advance the swing, IF one is ready for heavy 1H swings, aware of what to work towards (maximum explosiveness while maintaining all swing standards), and dilligent about pursuing improvement every session.
-- Progression was tough, but realistic and do-able.
-- Did not interfere with other life activities or introduce too much fatigue. Felt good after all sessions.
-- A good program for those who enjoy S&S and want to advance the swing technique and power while stimulating the system to adapt aerobically at the same time.

If anyone is considering giving it a try, I hope this helps give you some idea what you may gain from the experience. It is a great opportunity to participate in the development of new StrongFirst traning programs, and attain a lot of progress and learning for yourself at the same time.

Last edited:
Anna, thanks for the detailed reports. Your dedication and progress is inspiring.

One question -- how are you measuring your resting heart rate? I have and love my Polar heart rate monitor which I use with my Android phone (no watch). If my resting heart rate is the lowest rate when I first get up, by the time I've attached myself to the sensor and checked my heart rate on the phone it wouldn't be a resting rate any more. Or, are you sitting quietly for a couple of minutes after hooking yourself up and then checking the heart rate?

Thanks, Sol. On the resting HR, I agree with what you describe. Mine may not be the maximum "low" either, I just try to be very consistent with my measuring. So after a brief 3-5 min of minimal activity after waking up, and before I drink any coffee, I sit down at the computer with the HR strap on, wait for HR to settle (maybe 20 sec), then tell the Elite HRV to "start". It measures for 2.5 minutes and comes up with it's interpretation of the HR measurement. Whether that's a straight average over the 2.5 minutes, I'm not sure.

Thanks, Anna.

@Steve Freides and @aciampa I do wish that the forums for the special protocols weren't hidden from those not doing those protocols. It would be nice to engage with Anna and others re their protocols rather than just reading a summary at the end. And, it's a bit lonely in the "Serious Endurance - Plan 102" forum. :(

Thanks, Anna.

@Steve Freides and @aciampa I do wish that the forums for the special protocols weren't hidden from those not doing those protocols. It would be nice to engage with Anna and others re their protocols rather than just reading a summary at the end. And, it's a bit lonely in the "Serious Endurance - Plan 102" forum. :(
@slnm, duly noted. We did consider that option, and have elected to handle the way we are handling it after careful consideration, you may rest assured. One concession we are making is that, once you have completed a particular protocol, you will continue to have access to it, so you can eventually do them all and then see them all. But completing the protocol, including pre- and post-testing, is a requirement for retaining access to a specific protocol and its area on the forum.

Thanks very much.

-S-

@Steve Freides Ok. I respect your decision. Hopefully, some more folks will want to try out Serious Endurance. It's a great protocol and I'd love the company!

Last edited:
I thought there was at least one other person doing your protocol, and I think more folks just signed up.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom