all posts post new thread

Less is More

Up 7:00, train 8:40
Extended relaxation warm up

Trained for the time standard.
There was a bit of soreness and stiffness, but I feel great after.

Two Hand Shadow Swing:
16 x 10 x 10
Done in 5:00 (5 normal breaths rest)
  • The ultra light shadow swings are useful. You must focus intensely.
  • The heavier weight pulls and pushes you into the right grooves. The baby bell offers no such assistance.
1:00 rest

TGU:
16k, 5x1
Done in 10:00 (20 normal breaths rest)
  • Something I could do a much better job of here is tying the glute/waist/oblique/lat together on the loaded side for the 'roll to elbow'.
  • This could be a contributing factor to the extreme back soreness I was experiencing.

Overall a pleasing session.

Up 7:00, train 8:40

Trained for the time standard. I need to remember to throw these timed training sessions in once a week to maintain my conditioning.

Two Hand Shadow Swing:
24 x 10 x 10
Done in 5:00

TGU:
16k, 5x1
Done in 10:00

No more lingering back soreness. Should be good to return to regularly scheduled programming tomorrow!

Up 6:00 AM, train 7:15

OHS:
24x10
24x10
32x10
32x10
32x10
15 breaths between sets
  • Foci:
    1. Sitting back into the hips hard on the loaded side
    2. Keeping the lat tight on the unloaded side (the weight keeps the loaded side tight)
    3. Staying tall
TGU:
24k,5x1
20 breaths between sets
These first few reps were actually a bit shaky on the left side. My body was so adapted to the abnormally tight/sore left back muscles that it had a bit of relearning to do now that that's gone. After that, these felt better than ever.
  • Foci:
    1. Connecting the glute/oblique/lat
    2. Keeping tension on the loaded glute
    3. Connecting the upper body to the lower via the low abs/groin
It felt amazing to be back in the saddle again!
I need to remember to do the THS/TGU 5:00/1:00/10:00 time standard once a week. It always makes the strength days easier because I only have to focus on form and strength, not conditioning.

Up 4:30, train 6:00

Man, I was so out of it this morning for some reason. Serious zombie brain. Took an off-day.

Two Hand Shadow Swing:
16 x 10 x 10
Done in 5:00 (5 normal breaths rest)

TGU:
16k, 5x1
Done in 10:00 (20 normal breaths rest)

Up 5:30 AM, train 7:15

OHS:
24x10
24x10
32x10
32x10
32x10
15 breaths between sets
  • Foci:
    1. Moving smooth
    2. Letting bell hang, and begin it's descent before I even think of unlocking the hips
    3. Staying tall
TGU:
24k,5x1
20 breaths between sets

• Foci:
    1. Keeping the unloaded leg straight up to and including the situp
    • I wasn't doing this somehow before! Made a massive difference and took a load of bad stress off my back
Very excited to learn something about the TGU today! The QL straddle really helps with the TGU.

Very excited to learn something about the TGU today! The QL straddle really helps with the TGU.

That's great! Yes, the straight leg does help, even more so if you push out through the heel.

Something to experiment with, maybe unloaded first, or with light weight -- try in the tall sit position, having both sit bones in contact with the floor; hips level. (They may be already, but usually the working side is slightly up.) This seems to me to be a QL stretch in itself. I've been playing with it lately to find the optimum position...

Overslept this morning.
This early fall weather dropping into the 50's at night makes for delicious sleeping weather. Grabbing a couple extra hours sleep proved beyond my ability to resist.

No S&S today, but will do the warm up moves when I get home from workin' for the man to stay limber.

Up 6:30 AM, train 8:20

OHS:
24x10
32x10 !
32x10
32x10
32x10
20 breaths between sets
  • Foci:
    1. Staying tall via keeping the shoulders over the ankles
    • I noticed as my QL Straddle gets better, I'm able to keep the shoulders above the ankles in the goblet squat while getting the hips back more.
    • This transfers nicely to the swing! Really took the whole lift up a notch.
TGU:
16k,5x1
20 breaths between sets
  • Foci:
    1. Keeping the unloaded leg straight up to and including the tall sit
    2. Pushing out through the straight leg's heel
    3. Putting both sit bones on the ground in the tall sit
      • These GREATLY aided the low sweep: took pressure off the wrists, elbows, shoulders, hips, everything
      • And it reduces the felt range of motion (to let the sweep clear the body) by half.
@Anna C gives good advices !

Up 6:30 AM, train 8:50

OHS:
24x10
32x10
32x10
32x10
32x10

20 breaths between sets
Focus:
  • Staying tall via keeping the shoulders over the ankle
  • Getting a solid hike back to start the first rep
TGU:
24k,5x1
20 breaths between sets
Foci:
  • Keeping the unloaded leg straight up to and including the tall sit
  • Pushing out through the straight leg's heel
  • Putting both sit bones on the ground in the tall sit
  • Keeping a tall spine at all times

The TGUs went smoother than I thought they would. I anticipated they would be shaky after adding another set of 32k OHSs. But to my pleasant surprise, they were rock solid. I am incredibly pleased with this weekend's training, and grateful for the progress.

:)

No training today. Going to take one to two days off a week while I break ground with the 32k during this high stress work project. It helped a lot last week. Will still stretch in the evening and hit several 20 minute walks through the day to boost recovery and stay limber.

Sounds like a good plan.

I thought of another good QL stretch you might like, the Reverse Cossack. A good description and image is provided in this article. If you need it, it will feel amazing....

Thanks for the input @Anna C.

I was so excited to try that stretch I did my stretching right after work instead of in the later evening.
Wow!
My right and left hip both popped with a huge release the first time I tried it. And I couldn't even get that low; I don't have a chair that sturdy so I had to use the arm of my couch. It's kinda weird, having all the weight on your leg on the ground, you'd think it'd bother the knee but nope! The way it releases all those muscles it actually had my knees feeling great after despite sitting at a desk 10 hours today. It loosed up crap in my right hip from old injuries in just a few tries that I had resigned to just dealing with as part of life.

Thanks! If you lived near me I'd give you a kiss! Instead, you'll have to settle for a silly smiley :D

Great! I'll take the smiley. :)

Up 5:00 AM, train 6:35

OHS:
24x10
32x10
32x10
32x10
32x10

20 breaths between sets
Foci:
  1. Staying tall via keeping the shoulders over the ankle
  2. Getting a solid hike back to start the first rep
  3. Keeping the knees tracking properly
TGU:
16,5x1
20 breaths between sets
Foci:
  4. Keeping a tall spine at all times
The reason putting both sit bones on the ground in the TGU works so well is that it helps me find the right placement for the KB. It pulls it back and around so it's resting much more solidly in the lats. And lat engagement makes everything easier. Resting the bell in the lats is what makes the sweep feel trivial.

The reason putting both sit bones on the ground in the TGU works so well is that it helps me find the right placement for the KB. It pulls it back and around so it's resting much more solidly in the lats. And lat engagement makes everything easier. Resting the bell in the lats is what makes the sweep feel trivial.

Hmmm... good observation. It does load the lats better. I do like this squared up position, especially when the weight is light, and it feels good on the QL. But I suspect that when the weight is heavier, there is a mechanical advantage to having the working side up a bit. In both the elbow position and the tall sit, the two arms form a column of strength, so that if someone was to push down on your fist (without kettlebell), the column of strength is strongest with packed shoulders, locked elbows where applicable, straight wrist on working side, etc. More of a straight vertical line helps this column of support as well, which does put the working side a little higher than the support side. So, maybe there is some trade-off... and an optimum in-between to be found.

But I suspect that when the weight is heavier, there is a mechanical advantage to having the working side up a bit.

When I practiced the TGU 24k Sunday, I noted that "they were rock solid" with these new techniques. I'll try to remember to squeeze in a set or two tomorrow with the 32k to feel it out with a heavier weight.

Up 5:00 AM, train 7:00

OHS:
24x10
32x10
32x10
32x10
32x10

20 breaths between sets
Foci:
  1. Staying tall via keeping the shoulders over the ankle
  2. Getting a solid hike back to start the first rep
  3. Keeping the knees tracking properly
TGU:
24 x 1
32 x 1 !
32 x 1 !

24 x 1
24 x 2

20-30 breaths between sets
Foci:
  4. Keeping a tall spine at all times
@Anna C, the sets with the challenge weight in the TGU were smooth and controlled. The added stability of extra load in the lats was a godsend. I do need to do some tuning for the 'get down', as I noticed I was slightly rounding the back when I got into the tall sit. I'm confident some little shifts here and there will remedy that.

Incredibly pleased and grateful with the progress I've made. And, for people who lend a hand!

My medical benefits cost is quadrupling next year, and maximum out of pocket costs are going up as well.
It is more important than ever that a Man harden his body with physical training and implement dietary strategies like intermittent fasting.
American Men rarely have to physically fight, but a Man simply can not afford to be sick these days.

Up 6:00 AM
Taking two training days off during the week has made a huge difference in the quality of my sleep. Despite work stressors, I feel incredibly well rested when I wake up.

Today:
Day off. Walking & stretching only.

Back
Top Bottom