32x10
32x10
32x10
15 breaths between sets
  • Focused on sitting back into the hips hard

TGU:
24k,5x1
20 breaths between sets
  • Shoulders were noisy today during the roll to elbow, despite my best efforts to keep the packed in. No pain, just popping.
Overall another satisfying session!

Up 5:00, train 7:00
Extended relaxation warm up

OHS:
24x10x10
10 breaths between sets
  • Mastering the shoulder packing makes the lift harder - my body is so much tighter that the weight moves close to the speed of light.
TGU:
16k, 5x1
20 breaths between sets
  • Learned a good internal cue for shoulder packing - keep the ears and shoulders far apart, like two Alpha Male Generals who need to work together. They can work together well, but don't do so well in close proximity to one another.
  • So new cue - Keep The Generals Apart!

It is posts like this that keep me coming back and reading different sections. Great information, sharing this will teach me and others from your workout. Thank you @The Nail!

I'm glad it helps @Michael Scott !

For my warm up...
I basically alternate between 1) laying on my stomach with my head on a pillow and 2) laying on my back.
I relax my body as much as I can for 10-15 minutes.
And then I do the S&S goblet squat/hip bridges/halos.

Read Psych by Dr. Judd Biasiotto.

Up 5:00 AM, train 6:40

OHS:
24x10
24x10
32x10
32x10
32x10
15 breaths between sets
  1. If I sit back hard on the loaded side, it corrects the rotational tendency at the bottom via the glutes
  2. If I contract the back hard on the un-loaded side, it corrects the rotational tendency at the top via the lats
  3. Keeping the torso tall helps all around

TGU:
16k,5x1
15 breaths between sets
  • If I contract the glute on the loaded side it really keeps the shoulders packed
  • Glutes connect to lats -> lats pack the shoulders
  • So, to quote the "great poet" Ice Cube:
    • [Ms. Toi]
    • You can do it put your back into it
    • [Ice Cube]
    • I can do it put your a#@ into it

Up 6:00 AM, train 2:00 pm

OHS:
24x10
24x10
32x10
32x10
32x10
15 breaths between sets
  • Foci:
    1. Sitting back into the hips hard on the loaded side
    2. Keeping the lat tight on the unloaded side (the weight keeps the loaded side tight)
    3. Staying tall
Sitting back into the loaded hip really helps utilize the hips far more. You'd think they would be more sore/fatigued, but it appears to be just the opposite.

TGU:
24k,5x1
20 breaths between sets
Shoulders were much better today
  • Foci:
    1. The hard glute contraction to start the roll to elbow
    2. Keeping the ears and the shoulders far apart
The last two training sessions I used this combo were 51% easy/49% hard; in other words it's giving more than it's taking. The systems I've put into place are working. Will stick with this for about another week, then add two more sets of 32k swings.

Every so slowly I am understanding the phrase "The body is one piece"
I am thankful for my progress.

Up 6:00, train 8:30

Two Hand Shadow Swing:
24 x 10 x 10
10 breaths between sets
Foci:
  1. Sitting back into the hips hard
  2. Staying tall
TGU:
16k,5x1
15 breaths between sets
Foci:
Good light day. I trained at hour 22 of a 24 hour fast.

Up 6:00 AM, train 9:00

OHS:
24x10
24x10
32x10
32x10
32x10
15 breaths between sets
  • Foci:
    2. Keeping the lat tight on the unloaded side (the weight keeps the loaded side tight)
    3. Staying tall
TGU:
24k,5x1
20 breaths between sets
  • Foci:
The left side of the lower back was more sore and stiff than normal, but loosened up with the warmup. I will need to listen closely to my body, but for now it just seemed sore and nothing else. This was another giving practice; I feel better after than I did before.

Up 6:00 AM, train 3:30 PM

OHS:
24x10
24x10
32x10
32x10
32x10
15 breaths between sets
  • Foci:
    3. Staying tall
One thing I love about the off-day's two hand swings: it really helps with the knee tracking. It carries over effortlessly to the OHS.

TGU:
24k,5x1
20 breaths between sets
  • Foci:
The focal points are starting to pay off, even after several consecutive days of training I still feel okay.
The left side of the upper-lower back was still stiff and sore today...though unlike yesterday I did not notice it in day to day activities. Tomorrow is a planned off-day for my fast, hopefully I don't need to turn it into a day off.

Ended up taking a day off. Back was so stiff and sore I had difficulty sleeping. A hot shower and a short walk helped a lot. Will get a few more short walks and another hot shower in before the end of the day.

What do you suppose made it sore?

If you ever want a form check, I'd be happy to give feedback... here or PM.

Could be something else unrelated, but an objective assessment never hurts.

@Anna C,
Thanks for the offer! Next time I train when the sun is up I'll get a video.

I suspect it's the way I'm doing the QL straddle stretch that causes the back to tighten up. Maybe I'm trying to 'reach' into the stretch a little too deeply for my current flexibility levels? I've had this issue in the past. When I cut out the QL straddle it goes away quickly.

It could just be general training stress; I've made great strides in my training lately while managing to stack many consecutive training days in a row. The left side is slower to progress than the right. It's been hammered relatively harder than the right lately as I push forward.

Could be... that QL straddle is a weird one. I've experiences the same -- sometimes it helps loosen me up, sometimes it just seems to aggravate things.

Great, looking forward to the video. Watch the stress levels... was just reading and article that Darren B. sent me from MILO about how stress makes us more injury-prone.

Ahhh, glad it's not just me that has a weird relationship with the QL straddle!

Could you pass the article link along?

Would if I could, but I don't have a subscription, just had a temporary view.

Yes, that's it.

Yesterday:
3 separate 20 minute walks: Morning, Noon, Evening. No stretching.

Today:
1 15 minute walk, 1 20 minute walk: Afternoon & Evening. Possibly just some light stretching later.

Much better today. Might even be able to get in a regular (not light) kb day tomorrow.

I felt recovered this morning. But decided that since I had already taken two days in a row off I'd just make this a deload week. I don't remember when my last deload week was.

Today I will try to carve out time for 2 15 minute walks at work. This evening I will run through the gob sq/hip bridge/halos and go for a longer walk in the park.

Saturday and Sunday I'll do an off-day training session with THS and light TGU plus several walks in the park.
I might even try THS with the 16k; that bell is so light that it's actually a good challenge to swing correctly with it.

Movement is a vital part of recovery.

Worked late, and by the time I got home it was raining hard. So no long evening walk, but I did get two 15 minute walks in at work.
But I did do the gob sq/hip bridge/halo warmup and all systems are go.

Back
Top Bottom