all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Press Progression after Simple Goal

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
ROP presses, by the book, after S & S swings, also by the book.

-S-

Anyone start this yet?
I did Matt. Finished 1 full week last week and completed my second heavy day just 20 minutes ago. On Saturday I actually completed the swings in 4:46, but towards the end they were ugly. Honestly I barely survived it let alone owned it. So I'm obviously staying at that weight (both out of performance standards and equipment limitations) for the time being.

Today was as follows:

Warmup of OS resets, goblet squats, halos and 2 armed swings.

10x10 OAS @32kg - 8:40, probably my best swing session yet. The last rep felt as good as the first. Nasal breathing in between all sets. Rest breaks went off of feel.
4x(1,2,3) clean and press @24kg alternated w/
4x(2,3,5) pullups - I am awaiting a dip belt in the mail to starting weighting myself down.

Whole thing took about 45 minutes.

I understand the get up to fall into the loaded carry category as well as being considered a 'press'; given that, would the inclusion of farmer's walks on non-press days be a worthwhile approach?

Depends on what kind of carry...In my mind, it is the sustained pressing action of the getup as the arm slowly moves through multiple planes to get the bell overhead that makes it beneficial to the press. I would think push pressing a heavier bell and walking with it overhead for 30 seconds would also have similar benefit. But a classic farmers walk will probably have no "carry" (ha) over effect.

Mate, you're PUNishing me, haha... ha..

(cue tumbleweed)

Let me rephrase. Suppose one had effectively progressed as far as possible in the getup with their current kettlebell set and had decided to focus on presses, ETK style, for a time until a heavier bell became financially viable. And suppose one also felt they were lacking in strength qualities that the farmer's walk could address, and were not necessarily looking for carry-over to the press or getup. And suppose one thought a day where only swings were being done would be a nice time to slot them in, but was unsure if they might interfere with the other exercises due to reasons beyond their knowledge and expertise. Would they be a worthwhile inclusion in this situation? :)

@Andrew, what I have done in the past, is buy a couple of small barbell plates (5lb, 10lb, or 2.5lb, etc) that will fit okay to the bottom of the kettlebell I am using, and duct tape one or two of them to the bottom. I currently have a 32kg with a 10lb weight taped to it. There is my 36 kg, all for the price of 15 dollars. :)

Last edited:
Mate, you're PUNishing me, haha... ha..

(cue tumbleweed)

Let me rephrase. Suppose one had effectively progressed as far as possible in the getup with their current kettlebell set and had decided to focus on presses, ETK style, for a time until a heavier bell became financially viable. And suppose one also felt they were lacking in strength qualities that the farmer's walk could address, and were not necessarily looking for carry-over to the press or getup. And suppose one thought a day where only swings were being done would be a nice time to slot them in, but was unsure if they might interfere with the other exercises due to reasons beyond their knowledge and expertise. Would they be a worthwhile inclusion in this situation? :)

In a word: Yes.

Do them after swings, so as not to fry your grip for that day's swings, and do your carry sets to a comfortable stop, so as not to fry your grip for the next day's swings.

Last edited:
And suppose one also felt they were lacking in strength qualities that the farmer's walk could address, and were not necessarily looking for carry-over to the press or getup.

whoops. Somehow I missed this. Never mind the above then, ha!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom