all posts post new thread

Forum Business Research Materials

Problems, Questions, Suggestions
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Miguel

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
SF,

I know some of us are curious and/or use research materials for work, school, or other endeavors. I don't know the feasibility of having somewhere we could link or post articles, studies, journal excerpts, and research papers, but I think it might help us increase our knowledge base across the forum, and thereby elevate us further.

I don't know what criteria or prerequisites each piece would have to meet in order to be considered "valid".

Just a thought.

@Miguel Great idea, as an NSCA member I have access to their online materials / studies. A lot of cool info there that I'm sure many on the forum would enjoy.

@Miguel, any time anyone finds interesting research, they can start a thread in an appropriate section and include a link. Maybe we could standardize that, or try to. A couple of ideas come to mind:

Use the tag "research_article" so that people interested in posts with links can find them easily.

Well, actually, that seems perhaps the best one to me.

-S-

Reactions: JDH
BTW, was the "SF" reference to StrongFirst or to me? We share those initials, you know. :)

-S-

Another option I can give us, although I don't know if it makes sense.

All of our forums can be configured with a preset list of prefixes, and I can make including a prefix optional, and make one of the prefixes say Research Article Discussion.

-S-

Good idea, Miguel. As far as organizing, I like Steve's idea of a separate thread (per topic), but what I've seen (and like) in other places, is a post of thread links to the pertinent threads - kind of like the Sticky of Stickies thread.

Folks, I believe anyone can go back into an existing thread and tag it - perhaps the simplest thing to try is to agree to a tag and then a few folks can do some forum searches and add tags to existing threads. My vote would be for research_article or, if a single tag can be multiple worlds, then research article with a space in the middle.

-S-

FYI,
I've started using the tag "research_article" so there is a precedence now.

Use the tag "research_article" so that people interested in posts with links can find them easily.

Research_Article

BTW, was the "SF" reference to StrongFirst or to me? We share those initials, you know. :)

It was StrongFirst, sir. If it was to you I would have at least done a Mr. SF. =}

Trying to iron this out...
KB stuff goes in the KB forum
BW stuff in the BW forum
etc.
But things like HR training, Overtraing and overtraining syndrome, hypertrophy, Type I and/or Type II muscle fibers, all of those go in Other?

And thanks for the conversation, folks.

Hello,

Another research material, more or less linked to the first one I posted earlier this morning. This one is about duality between "strength training" and "endurance training".

This material explains the différences between training strength and endurance the same day or not.

The link follows:
Comparison of two regimens of concurrent strength and endurance training. - Abstract - Europe PMC

To quote the conclusion, for those who would have not the time to read the entire article:
"same day (vs different day) concurrent strength and endurance training may impede strength development without impeding hypertrophy. On the other hand, same day training may enhance increases in CS activity but not VO2max or weight lifting endurance".

This can help to have some "guideline" in function of our goals (strength / endurance).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Lots of people here enjoy the deadlift. We often compare DL and [back] squat or C&J.

Then, I find this article (whose only abstract and conclusion are available for free) about eventual cross-effet between these two exercises.

First of all, it seems there is no cross-effect, due to the different angles used (ankle, hip...). Besides, "back squat represents a synergistic or simultaneous movement, whereas the deadlift demonstrates a sequential or segmented movement"

Another interesting thing seems to be the vertical bar velocities (0.20 m/s for DL and 0,09 m/s for BS). Thus DL tends to create more "power" (not strength) in legs.

Source is here:
Kinematic Analysis of the Powerlifting Style Squat and the C... : The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research

If I have time and if you find it interesting and usefull, I will post other articles on this topic.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I read the abstract - I confess not to find much interesting there. It explains its findings and then just assumes that its findings support its conclusion without any explanation. Specifically this, "The kinematic analysis of the squat and the conventional deadlift indicate that the individual lifts are markedly different (p < 0.01), implying that no direct or specific cross-over effect exists between the individual lifts."

I don't see how "implying" works in this case - in my own training, I have found significant carryover, although the carryover is quite dependent on one's particular squat form and that doesn't seem to be addressed in that study, either.

-S-

Hello,

Yes indeed one problem of its study is that we only have an abstract...

I don't do back squats because I work my back / core with other moves thus I cannot say if there is or not a carryover between these moves. Besides I am seriously involved in DL for a short while so my experience is pretty humble. I am really sorry... :(

This study gives a detail (paragraph "What did we learn"):
Squat to Deadlift Carryover: A Statistical Analysis

"1.Most of the best deadlifters used a squat stance similar to their deadlift stance
In terms of carryover, this makes a great deal of sense. The more similar the stance, the more similar the biomechanics of the two movements are going to be. This is going to lead to greater rates of transference to the deadlift when a lifter drives his squat up."

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes, I will agree with that - if you squat as primarily a hip hinge, just lower - what a lot of very good PL'ers do - then there will often be carryover to your deadlift.

I stopped squatting because it did what heavy squatting is supposed to do - it made me hungry and started putting weight on me. I think, however, that I might revisit the PL-style squat in my next DL cycle in some dialed-back form.

-S-

Hello,

This article is about training until failure or not : ARTICLES | Journal of Applied Physiology

Results are:
"This investigation demonstrated a potential beneficial stimulus of NRF for improving strength and power, especially during the subsequent peaking training period, whereas performing sets to failure resulted in greater gains in local muscular endurance"

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom