all posts post new thread

Forum Business Research Materials

Problems, Questions, Suggestions
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

Some article about maximal strength:
MAXIMIZING STRENGTH DEVELOPMENT IN ATHLETES: A META-ANALYSIS... : The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research
"maximal strength gains are elicited among athletes who train at a mean training intensity of 85% of 1 repetition maximum (1RM), 2 days per week, and with a mean training volume of 8 sets per muscle group"

and this one, whose results are the same but more specific about populations:
APPLICATIONS OF THE DOSE-RESPONSE FOR MUSCULAR STRENGTH DEVE... : The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research
"Recreationally trained nonathletes exhibit maximal strength gains with a mean training intensity of 80% of 1RM, 2 days per week, and a mean volume of 4 sets. For athlete populations, maximal strength gains are elicited at a mean training intensity of 85% of 1RM, 2 days per week, and with a mean training volume of 8 sets per muscle group"

Then if you split the workouts, you are quite close from what Pavel says. Kind of daily dose with plenty of rest.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm proud to say I've competed at a few USAWA meets - exactly two, I think. Here's one of them

Art’s Birthday Bash | USAWA

Unfortunately, scheduling conflicts have prevented me from getting back to this meet since 2014. I had been hoping to do it every year - maybe next year. Great group of people, some who hold hundreds of USAWA records.

Just took a look at the records - some of mine still stand in M55-59, 70 kg. I managed just over 1000 pounds in the hip lift, nothing by hip lift standards but still a lot of fun to train. And my Inman Mile attempt is still there as well.

Dumbbell curl from a suspended split, the Van Dam lift (named after the wrestler, not the actor):

-S-

Hello,

@Steve Freides
The only suspended split is impressive...so lifting a dumbell from this position....super impressive !

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' I used to take casine protein with whole milk, olive oil, and ground flax before bed. Casine is expensive though. It really worked for me.

As I understand whey works best in a fasted state. I'd have whey and milk as soon as I woke up, while getting ready and preparing breakfast, and a post workout "garbage can shake" with whey and what ever ended up in the blender. Then my post workout meal within an hour.

Hello,

@Geoff Chafe
Yes it seems protein intakes (and globally eating intakes) are far more prolific and efficient around training, than splitted throughout the day.

I tried to eat my protein during the day and did not see "good" or "bad" results. However, I saw lots of good results shortly after my training.

Never tried before going to sleep.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Quite technical but good article on strength training and nervous system : ARTICLES | Journal of Applied Physiology

The conclusion is :
(MVC = Maximal Voluntary Contraction)
"At the end of the training period, the strength training group displayed a significant improvement in both maximal isomeric and dynamic muscle strength. After 4 wk of strength training, the group average maximal dynamic strength increased significantly by 31.2% from 10.5 ± 2 to 13.8 ± 1.8 kg (P < 0.001*). MVC also increased significantly by 12.5% from 21.9 ± 2.7 to 24.8 ± 2.3 N·m (P = 0.045*). The maximal dynamic as well as isometric muscle strength of the skill learning group and the control group remained unaltered. Skill learning group mean 1 RM was 12.9 ± 1.7 before and 12.9 ± 1.9 kg after the training period, whereas MVC was 25.1 ± 2.5 before and 24.7 ± 2.6 N·m after training. 1 RM in the control group decreased slightly from 12.4 ± 1.6 to 12.2 ± 1.6 kg. MVC in the control group was 21.6 ± 2.5 N·m before training and 21.7 ± 2.2 N·m after the training. These results imply that the strength training paradigm caused significant improvements of the subjects' maximal muscle strength. Neither the skill learning paradigm nor the experimental procedures induced changes in the maximal strength of the subjects."

So it appears that a 4 days training a week, with realatively low daily volume, not going to failure, increase the nervous system potential to generate more muscle tension (strength).

We can link this article to the @Dirty Harry 's thread "Insomnia caused by training to failure"

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

A scientific article about caffeine effect on metabilic rate:
Caffeine and coffee: their influence on metabolic rate and substrate utilization in normal weight and obese individuals. - PubMed - NCBI

It increases metabolism and also thermic effect after a meal. It also greatly improves fat oxydation (lipolysis).

In this article, it appears that "he enhanced endurance performance observed was likely the combined effects of caffeine on lipolysis and its positive influence on nerve impulse transmission"
Effects of caffeine ingestion on metabolism and exercise performance. - Abstract - Europe PMC

So...I gonna take my 10h00 (but I am late) cup of coffee !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Hello,

Some reading about training in a fasted state:

http://easacademy.org/trainer-resources/article/intermittent-fasting whose resumed conclusion is:
=> close workout meal are better for performance, recovery and muscle gain
=> when training is over, we tend to overconsume due to intense hunger feeling
=> aerobic exercise fasted encourage loss of lean muscle mass (muscle is used as fuel)
=> we have less energy so the training is less efficient : the body sets a "stand-by mode"
=> "Intermittent fasting advocates recommend consuming at least 5 g BCAAs before a workout if exercising during your fasting period. This bolus of BCAAs in your blood stream theoretically could help preserve muscle protein during the workout, but there is no scientific evidence substantiating this claim"

In this study: Body composition changes associated with fasted versus non-fasted aerobic exercise
=> "fasted exercise showed no beneficial effects compared to training post-prandially" because :
"The theoretical basis behind a fat-burning advantage to fasted exercise is predicated on increasing lipid oxidation during training bout. However, this ignores the dynamic nature of the human body, which continually adjusts its use of substrate for fuel"

In this one: Training in the fasted state improves glucose tolerance during fat-rich diet
However we learn that training while fasted increases "whole-body glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity during hyper-caloric fat-rich diet"

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom