all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Sandbag top movements

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TravisDirks

Level 3 Valued Member
I've got a rogue sandbag (the type with a couple sets of handles) and enjoy getups, clean and pressed and shoulder carries with it. I read the DVRT books a while back, but probably need to re-read as I seem to recall its great for rotational stuff, but I can't think how.

Every peice of equipment has a thing it's great for. With the barbell there are the power and oly lifts, with the KEttlebell there is the swing, snatch, and getup, with maces there is the 360 and 10 to 2.

What is the equivalent 1-3 movements for which a sandbag is better than anything else?

I have four surplus navy sea bags, and two 15.5 gallon beer kegs I use all the time. The sea bags cost $18 each, and the kegs I bought two for $80. I have filled them with wood pellets, sand, and pea gravel, that's lightest to heaviest. They are highly functional, versatile, and cheap implements. When I am man handeling my 100 kg sandbag I feel like I could walk through walls.

Best lifts with sand bags that are better for me than other implements are loading over bar in power rack, shouldering, overhead throws, and bear hug carries. I have never tried a sand bag with handles though. I have used a friends IronMind sandbag, they are bullet proof.

Thanks Guys, I feel a trip to the park coming on!

@Geoff Chafe I got one of those seabags when I saw you mention it elsewhere. I put 120 lbs of sand in it and it's barely 1/3 full and darn near impossible to get a hold of. Maybe I'll pull most of that out of the bag and try to use it in a hammer throw type motion.

Wood pellets or rubber mulch fills the bag out more, and is cheap. I have a 140 lb wood pellet that is pretty full. My pea gravel bags I have tied pretty tight, they are more like lifting a stone, but I feel is harder than an equivalent weight stone. Don't make them too tight or it could burst, and it makes them less unwieldy, if that is what you are after.

My 100kg bag is pea gravel, and is about half full. I have not tried, but they can hold 300lbs. I have a mixture of wood pellets, and pea gravel I made by accident in a full keg that is around 190.

Last edited:
I live in Canada, where some people use wood pellet stoves for heat. Maybe where you live you may not be able to find wood pellets. Try rubber mulch.

I live in Canada, where some people use wood pellet stoves for heat. Maybe where you live you may not be able to find wood pellets. Try rubber mulch.
Neat, I grew up with a wood burner for heat. We used whole logs though. I'm not familiar with a woodpellet stove.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom