all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Using KB for HIIT, inquiry on lower back recovery

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Partha

Level 4 Valued Member
Dear experts,

I am facing an issue with lower back recovery, would like to get your insight. I am 38, 5'6'', 85KG, genetically endomorphic. I have been lifting since 2006, and my 5rep max with BB are: squat 80KG, DL 110 KG, power clean 50KG. I do not have any injury history for the lower back or shoulder.

I shifted from BB to KB for that obvious conditioning aspect, and ease of working out at home. Right now, I am using 2x 12KG and do couple of sets (6-10 reps) of six exercises: swing, squat, press, row (bent over double KB from lunge), TGU and renegade. I clean the KB for each set of squat and press. I can do 3-4x, 30 minute training / week.

The issue is, if I add further sets of cleans and snatches, my lower back and shoulders get really stressed - not sure if that is because: I have not trained enough with KB / incorrect form / just age related recovery. In this case, recovery takes longer and I fail to meet the target frequency of workout. I wish to understand this before stepping up the weights to 16KG or higher. Also, how important is Snatch if my goal is getting lean? I have shifted back to India (my country of origin) few years ago, and it is not easy to find good trainers.

@Partha. Hello. I do not use 2 kettlebells so I am not able to speak to your current work. However, the following comes to mind from your post:

Swing Versus Snatch - StrongFirst

Going forward, I would encourage you to consider the Simple & Sinister program due, in part, to the lack of local trainers. In that, two movements is going to present less of a challenge and a refined Swing and Get up will have tremendous value downstream

Also, as I see it, Pavel's metrics should be considered normative ability, not exceptional. So, check those boxes and you could either stay there, my plan, or be able to move confidently into more diverse programming.

Either way, Simple/Sinister would equip you to make informed decisions going forward as it relate to both strength as well as safe movement patterns.

Finally, consider this against your injury concerns:

Simple & Sinister in a Rehabilitation Setting - StrongFirst

Be strong, live well!

Last edited:
@Will More: Thanks Bill, appreciate your input - one of the very few local experts (Parag Mhetre) also suggested the same!
I would focus on Swing and TGU with single KB and try to balance the unilateral mobility / stability aspects, and move on to 16KG or 20KG than going with two KB.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom