all posts post new thread

Kettlebell “The Powertrain” - Goblet Squat/Swing program from Pavel’s newsletter

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'm running the power train plan starting the new year... my plan is

2x's a week strength aerobics
2x's a week get ups & power train
1x a week LISS endurance

I look forward to seeing how this works out

Then you received an email with a link to download the program.

-S-
Excuse me, was there a cut-off date for the second chance to get a chance to look at this porgram? I signed up for the newsletter on Dec. 16th, got three e-mails, but no link to the PowerTrain porgam. Thanks in advance for an answer!

Excuse me, was there a cut-off date for the second chance to get a chance to look at this porgram? I signed up for the newsletter on Dec. 16th, got three e-mails, but no link to the PowerTrain porgam. Thanks in advance for an answer!
1. Please read this thread from the beginning.

2. I have absolutely nothing to do with the newsletter and its associated policies. “Please don’t shoot the messenger.” If you want to register an opinion, I recommend using the Contact form on the web site.

Thanks.

-S-

StrongFirst usually sends newsletters around midweek. It is a news-letter in the classic sense that information gets send out on a specific date. (Whereas other newsletters often work like educational courses, i. e. a new subscriber gets prewritten information in a certain order.)

I received the Powertrain mails on 18 Nov and 7th Dec.

Hi Everyone,

I’m running this program and using the template on the strongfirst training app. For those of you who are combining this with other pressing plans: the Power Train program (as listed on the App) includes a very excellent pressing component. The newsletter presents “Power Train” as an ‘add-on’ where as the App presents the program as a complete pressing/squat/2hswing program - done in 18-30 minutes depending on dice roll. I am hitting the presses with a 28kg and the squats/ swings with a 48kg. One thing I enjoy about this program is the waved density over Monday - Wednesday- Friday. I am one of those dudes who is prone to turning practice into met con , so if you follow Pavel’s instructions you are forced to drop the density down on Wednesday and Friday. I am tracking this with a HR monitor. Monday I was in the Red, Wednesday I was in MAF range (anti-glycolitic), Friday I was running just a notch or 2 harder than Wednesday.

Get- ups and SLDLs are programmed as a Warm-up.

I should also mention that my wife is relatively new to KB’s and she is running the program with me. It’s definitely a beginner friendly program- as long as you have healthy mobile shoulders and good squat mobilty.

Is any one else here running the full program? I am tracking my HR progress and Press density progress. I might start a new thread/training log soon with results. I am going to run the program as written for a couple of months, but when the weather gets nicer I might have to find away to do it without the 48kg- (2x28 is much easier to bring to the park)

Final word: The way the presses and squats/swings are laid out, these full sessions seem easy psychologically- even on Heavy Day. My HR monitor would say other wise. The monotony of the work out is broken up in a way that makes the sessions seem short.

A friend & jiu jitsu training partner of mine has been using this format (the 2GS+10DSW w/ 32kg version as he found the 1GS+5DSW version too easy, although he is quite strong, so there you go) on alternating days with double C&P/double FSQ sessions. He seems to like it.

I have n't been running the program long enough to talk about the hypertrophy effects. That said, I imagine that would be an effect of this program because:

1) It is an escalating density program.
2) Both the presses and the squat/swing complex progress up to the 10 rep range- when you are ready for those rep ranges. I imagine that this will put some mass on some people.
3) I get the feeling that there is an explicit intention to get a bit of lactic acid/ growth hormone flowing in the system to encourage growth. It seems it is the current focus of some StrongFirst R&D to "get just the right amount of acid going" with a full body movement , and then pair that with a strength-skill grind like a press where only perfect reps are allowed. I am referring here to "Powertrain" the full program as detailed on the Strongfirst App.

Personally , I 've never packed mass on easily - I have the build of a basketball player... and I'm in caloric deficit but typically hit 200 grams of protein per day.

My goals are to essentially make the 28kg bell feel like a toy, and lower my Heart Rate during the sessions. I am thinking about going out for SFG1 in November 2022. I will have to contend with a 28kg snatch test. I feel like this program is going to help me achieve this goal...but I will eventually have to get back to snatching. Once my Saturday beer league hockey is over, I will eventually move to this type of schedule:

Sunday: PowerTrain Heavy (100%)
Monday- OFF (LSD ruck, jog or crawl)
Tuesday- PowerTrain Light (60%)
Wednesday - Snatch 28kg, 32kg, or 36kg, for 30-40min
Thursday-OFF (LSD ruck, jog, or crawl)
Friday - PowerTrain Medium (80%)
Saturday -OFF

I also do easy strength 5 days a week. Basically its deadlift 100kg for 2 sets of 5, DBL KB Front Squat 2x32kg for 3x3 or 2x5, and Pullups 3x3 or 2x5. My only rules for Easy Strength are (1) only work sets allowed. (2) if these 3 lifts can't be done in under 8 minutes It's too heavy. (3) The only movement prep allowed is prying goblet squat for 20 seconds. I typically do this while I'm making dinner or while i'm having a coffee before work. Easy Strength is part of daily routine, or daily chore just like taking out the garbage or whatever. For me it is n't about progressing. I will only throw weight on if/when the lifts feel like nothing.

Cheers.

Does anyone do the program with double bells? And out of interest, how would you rate the advantages and disadvantages of doing the program with two compared to one KB?

@godofiron - I am finishing up week 4 of the program. Regarding your statement “put the bell down first” I could n’t agree more. It is so much harder to come to a deadstop and rehike between the squat and swings, than it is to drop the bell right into the backswing.

To me this transition is the “thing” about the powertrain complex that makes it challenging.

I basically go like this (and I like to keep the tempo of the transition between the squat and swing tight)

1) 2h clean,
3) Goblet squat down (2-3 count)
4) Pause (1-2 count)
5) explode up
6) park bell
7) breathe and brace ( 1 second max)
8) rehike the bell into the five swings

I realize that I might be “over describing” the goblet squat, but my point is this: 1 goblet squat plus five swings is at least equal to 10 swings. Not to mention you deal with 2 “ first reps”.
First reps are always the most taxing.

I will also add that for me personally hitting 2 complexes per minute (so 1squat + 5 swings every 30 secs) is so much more soul destroying than doing the 2 squat + 10 swings every 60 seconds.

I am still at a stage where I am just getting past the 1goblet squat + 5 swings every minute mark, but I have had the odd day where I’ve pushed into the 2/10 rep scheme for a set or 2.

@Adam Bell It isn't over describing at all. Thanks for mentioning the soul destroying nature of the 1 GSQ + 5 2ASW! I just started this practice so now I can prepare mentally.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom