all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Feline Mobility

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Wolv3rus

Level 4 Valued Member
I stumbled across some old clips of Pavel's teachings (you know, the ones in the cinderblock basement) and am simply at awe at the grace and fluidity of his movements and the levels of his mobility, it kinda reminded me of the movement of a tiger or jaguar.
I always enjoyed the casual streching before bed, it made me simply feel good, but I haven't seen resulst anywhere close to this.

Is there something like a protocoll/plan, similar to say S&S or RoP but for mobility and flexibility?

I would suggest Relax Into Stretch is the classic answer, but Pavel recently released Quicksilver with Jon Engum so I think he's gone in a Flexible Steel direction.

I like Relax Into Stretch because there's an element of strength training and muscle control to it, but Flexible Steel / Quicksilver definitely has a program minimum version of flexibility/mobility.

I stumbled across some old clips of Pavel's teachings (you know, the ones in the cinderblock basement) and am simply at awe at the grace and fluidity of his movements and the levels of his mobility, it kinda reminded me of the movement of a tiger or jaguar.
I always enjoyed the casual streching before bed, it made me simply feel good, but I haven't seen resulst anywhere close to this.

Is there something like a protocoll/plan, similar to say S&S or RoP but for mobility and flexibility?
I would suggest Relax Into Stretch is the classic answer, but Pavel recently released Quicksilver with Jon Engum so I think he's gone in a Flexible Steel direction.

I like Relax Into Stretch because there's an element of strength training and muscle control to it, but Flexible Steel / Quicksilver definitely has a program minimum version of flexibility/mobility.
There is also an older publication called "Super Joints", covering some mobility routines for the joints. However, I prefer Relax into Stretch. It took me a while to get the hang of it (the tension and relaxation phases are relatively short - I used to overdo it). It is a really good resource and is also endorsed by Dan van Zandt from the "Flexibility Research" insta channel.

The combination of tension/relaxation + stuff from this article by Jon Engum has helped me a lot:

I've recently been revisiting "Stretching Scientifically" by Thomas Kurz. It is the most comprehensive and to the point flexibility book I've come across despite it being decades old at this point.

It walks you through building a routine from the ground up and how to fit it into your regular training. It addresses when to use dynamic stretching, when to use passive stretching, and when to use PNF stretching and how to program it for long term.

I'm a few weeks in and seeing improvements. I'd highly recommend it.

Plus there is a video that goes along with it that is floating around on YouTube that is peak 90's macho. I laughed. I also learned.

I do yoga in the mornings.

In the middle of the day, I take breaks climbing up and down rocks getting to and from the beach.

I do weightlifting practice in the evenings.

So combination of:

Wheel pose, pigeon pose (yoga)
Super lunge positions (rocks)
Overhead squats and front squats (weightlifting)

Seems to do the trick.

Relax Into Stretch
Proprioceptive neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF)

This is a very effective method of dramatically increasing flexibility, as well as being a little painful.

Silveraw mentioned it in his post.

it is performed by performing a Stretch, Relaxing, then following up with another Stretch.

Relaxing the Muscle between Stretches enable the following Stretch can be deeper.

With this method, often a partner perform that Stretch; increasing the force elicit a greater Stretch.

No partner, no problem.

Loaded Stretches

Loaded Stretches enable an individual to perform them without a partner.

Examples

1) Lats

Hanging from a Pull Up Bar.

2) Pecs

Performing the Stretch with Dumbbells below the chest.

3) Quads and Glutes

Sitting in the lowest position of a Squat with a Bar on your back.

4) Hamstrings and Lower Back

Perform a Deadlift Load Stretch by standing on an Elevated Box which does not allow the bar to touch the ground.

Contraindicated Stretching

Prolonging a Long Static Stretch prior in the Muscle in an Exercise is contraindicated.

Doing so, dampens Force Production; especially in Stretch Reflex Movements.

Antagonist Muscle Stretching

Stretching the Opposing Muscle (Antagonist Muscles) in an Exercise increase Force Production Agonist Muscles (Muscle being Trained in the Exercise).

Bench Press Exercise Example

Stretching the Lats prior to a Bench Press will increase Force Production (Power and Strength) in the Bench Press.

The reverse is also true...

Lat Training Exercise Example

Stretching the Pecs prior to performing a Lat Pulldown or Bent Over Row increase Force Production in these Movements.

Hypertrophy Training

Stretching between the Muscle in an Exercise after performing has been demonstrated to increase Muscle Mass.

Bodybuilding Coach was one of the first to use this method back in the 1990's.

Dr. Jake Wilson's (formerly Director of the University of Tampa Human Performance Lab) found Stretching Between Bodybuilding Exercise Sets produce an increase in Muscle Mass.

Strength/Bodybuilding Coach, Chris Thibauduea, has written about the effectiveness of this method.

These are thing to consider when implementing a Stretching Program.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom