all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 10,000 Swing Challenge - Review

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BJJ Shawn

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello All,

I know it's not a SF program, but since it's a kettlebell program written by Dan John, I thought it would be appropriate to put a review up in case anyone else is interested. I just completed the 10,000 Swing Challenge, and it was definitely a challenge. I did the original iteration of it, found here: The 10,000 Swing Kettlebell Workout | T NATION , and there is a newer version that includes some modifications to allow it to be easier but I stuck with the original as it aligned better with my goals. I did the 4 day per week version, and I missed 1 day due to illness so it took me 5 weeks + 1 day.

I have been doing S&S since late last year, and worked up to timeless simple before starting this challenge, but I felt my grip strength and aerobic capacity were both lacking hence why I wanted to do this training as it has a huge focus on both. In addition to the swings, you also add in strength moves, which I added bench press, chin-ups, seated barbell OHP, and barbell rows. So 30 reps of one move per session, plus 500 2HS with a 24kg kettlebell.

After day 1, I didn't know if I would be able to do this as I thought my heart and lungs were going to explode, but it reminded me so much of a hard BJJ rolling session that I knew it would be good for me. I kept going, and it did get easier of course. My grip strength started by failing during the sets of 50 for the first few sessions, then it was tough to hold on but I started to be able to finish the sets of 50, and finally by the last couple weeks I didn't really have to think about grip as it was a non-issue. I allowed my heart rate to drop to 135 between sets and recorded the time it took to finish as a way to measure progress, and I cut nearly 30% off my time in just 5 weeks while still keeping my HR lower throughout. My body composition changed, I have more energy, I feel stronger at all four strength moves I added (haven't tested anything else yet), and overall I can't think of anything that DIDN'T get better in 5 weeks.

Now, the numbers (the graphs include my warmup and post workout stretching, so times aren't accurate):
Workout 1:
Weight: 173.8lbs
Body Fat %: 18.4%
Time to complete training: 49 Minutes

6242AFF0-DF4C-45BB-9444-C20B9E351F5B.jpeg
Workout 20:
Weight: 174.8lbs
Body Fat %: 15.9%
Time to complete training: 33 Minutes, 50 seconds

6341BF82-3277-45D9-BCB2-8C8360BBC871.jpeg

I'm glad I spent the time and energy to do this challenge, and I'm glad that it's done because it was HARD! Overall, it was definitely worth it, and now on to the next!

Last edited:
How do you measure your weight / bf %? no one noticed that he lost 2.5% BF while putting on 1 lbs!!??? Thats a huge gap in 20 days!
It definitely might not be super accurate, as my weight tends to fluctuate 1-3 pounds daily so I don't know if I was dehydrated yesterday when I weighed in at 171.8 pounds, or I am retaining extra water today when I weighed in at 174.8. I always measure the same time when I wake up, and the bodyfat % is calculated based on the US Navy method (Body Fat Calculator) that uses circumference of neck and waist to calculate it. I lost about 1.25 inches off my waist during this time, but it is actually 20 workouts and took 36 days to complete.

Congrats Shawn! Next time you want to get ready for a vacation 2 weeks out, do 10,000 in 10 days. Boring but extremely effective.

Wow, if I want to die that sounds like a great way to do it! I suppose if I change the set structure around so it's like all sets of 20, I could MAYBE get through 1 day of that, but 1000 swings a day every day sounds EXTRA hard.

Well played @BJJ Shawn !!
Survived the challenge going about it the way you did with hr guided rests was a nice touch.
20, 000 next??

The members of this forum apparently want me to die, lol.

No, I will be doing an attempt at Timed Simple this week, then will be on vacation for a few days. After that I'm going to give the Russian Bear plan from PTTP a go. I haven't consistently lifted a barbell in years, but I chose this program to get my grips and aerobic capacity up to test Timed Simple. In addition, I have been in a caloric deficit pretty much since Thanksgiving, and per Easy Strength I wanted to get higher volume before doing a hypertrophy block. Since this was a high volume hip hinge plan, I thought that would be a perfect way to transition into a high volume deadlift routine in addition to being a peaking type plan for my timed simple.

@BJJ Shawn have you been practicing your get ups? Or has it been your swings that you have needed to focus on? I did one left, one right, then rest and repeat. It felt easier and I think it was what Pavel Macek does.

@BJJ Shawn have you been practicing your get ups? Or has it been your swings that you have needed to focus on? I did one left, one right, then rest and repeat. It felt easier and I think it was what Pavel Macek does.
I have not done any getups the past month, but prior to this my timeless simple was usually about 10-11 minutes swings, and 9-10 minutes getups. While I could always work on the strength and stability of the get-ups, they were not what was keeping me from hitting timed simple.

To be honest though, I never tried for timed simple and since I haven't been doing BJJ in so long now, I really didn't do ANY cardio or aerobic work in the past year other than some rucking but my HR never go up above like 70% in any of the work I did so reducing the swings from EMOM to every 30 seconds was asking a lot of my grip endurance and aerobic system.

I did this challenge years ago, never again. But its a great feeling of accomplishment when done

Wow, if I want to die that sounds like a great way to do it! I suppose if I change the set structure around so it's like all sets of 20, I could MAYBE get through 1 day of that, but 1000 swings a day every day sounds EXTRA hard.
It's not that bad. By lower back felt INVINCIBLE after I did it. Turns into an incredibly meditative process also. Hands got chewed up though.

Hello @BJJ Shawn

First off, congratulations for this challenge ! Back when I did it, I lost roughly 2,5kg (did not measure BF).

How did you breathe during and between the sets ?

I remember something called "breathing ladder, but this is not in this article. Basically, One rep, put the kb down, one breathe. 2 reps, put the kb down, 2 breathe, etc... This was a way to make high repetition swings aerobic and then more sustainable.

Again, good work !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello @BJJ Shawn

First off, congratulations for this challenge ! Back when I did it, I lost roughly 2,5kg (did not measure BF).

How did you breathe during and between the sets ?

I remember something called "breathing ladder, but this is not in this article. Basically, One rep, put the kb down, one breathe. 2 reps, put the kb down, 2 breathe, etc... This was a way to make high repetition swings aerobic and then more sustainable.

Again, good work !

Kind regards,

Pet'

I just did the same hard style breathing from S&S during the swings, then when i put the bell down after the really long sets if I was huffing and puffing I would used fractional breathing, and if not it was Darth Vader Breathing, both of which are shown in the BJJ course and I’m sure other places as well.

I did this with my kettlebell class a few weeks back. They made the breathing pyramid 1 to 13 back down to 1 in 20 min. I did it with them and “commanded” them to breath the same as I did and to not open their mouths. It cut down on the chatter, lol…

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom