all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 10,000 Swing Challenge - Review

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I actually miss high rep swings in my training. That was my bread and butter for years.
I will do 15-25 reps in a single set as my absolutely bare minimum when I only have literally a minute. Two handed swings, heavy enough, and I just stop when they are about to get lousy, whether that's 13 reps or 30 but I try to pick a weight I think I'll be good for 20 reps or so with. It is just so much better than doing nothing with 60 seconds of exercise time.

-S-

I will do 15-25 reps in a single set as my absolutely bare minimum when I only have literally a minute. Two handed swings, heavy enough, and I just stop when they are about to get lousy, whether that's 13 reps or 30 but I try to pick a weight I think I'll be good for 20 reps or so with. It is just so much better than doing nothing with 60 seconds of exercise time.

-S-
Sounds like an article @Steve Freides

Titles:
"One Minute to Win It"
"When All You Have is One Minute"
"The Kettlebell Minute"

It’s a great challenge. If I wasn’t mildly addicted to the giant I’d definitely run it again. I gravitated to his descending weight variation as it meant I could use a 20kg for the sets of 50. When I just used a 25kg the grip death was just hellish. If you run it again try the descending weight ladder. I went with
40kgx10
32kgx15
25kgx25
20kgx50
Good work man and it’s good to see someone doing it and getting the benefit from it.
That looks like a great way to get through it. It kind of scares me doing sooooo many swings so often for a month.

Sounds like an article @Steve Freides

Titles:
"One Minute to Win It"
"When All You Have is One Minute"
"The Kettlebell Minute"
My idea was inspired by a Craig Marker article on breakingmuscle.com (link?). If memory serves, you did 20-25 swings, then 3 different sets of presses, then another 20-25 swings. 20-25 is going to be somewhat glycolytic, and that's OK and will help the presses in-between produce hypertrophy, but just the swing set is also a fine thing.

@Ryan T, it would be a very short article, basically what I posted above in post #41.

If you think about it, a weight you can swing powerfully for a minute isn't going to be much of a challenge, but 20-25 reps kind of falls into that category of "if you had to do more, you'd be cooked, but since it's the only thing you're doing, it'll be OK." I think 20-25 reps is kind of the sweet spot.

-S-

That looks like a great way to get through it. It kind of scares me doing sooooo many swings so often for a month.
You turn into a swinging machine after the first week. My whole issue with only using the one kettlebell (24kg recommended) is the set of 50 turning into start stop. Like I say the variation with the descending weights is you’ll manage the 50. If memory serves you get 3 minutes to rest after the set of 50. That gets cannibalised first. I only really did dips as my strength move. I attempted chin-ups but the fatigue of the grip messed with my chins. Go for it and surprise yourself. I was doing it in like 22 minutes after starting at like 38 minutes to complete it.

Was inspired to do 500 today by the 10k thread being reawoken. Grip also held up really well. I’ve been on strength work for a while now and the 24 felt light throughout, but achieved an increased body temp so I infer metabolic activity increase and I expect a conditioning effect.

My idea was inspired by a Craig Marker article on breakingmuscle.com (link?). If memory serves, you did 20-25 swings, then 3 different sets of presses, then another 20-25 swings. 20-25 is going to be somewhat glycolytic, and that's OK and will help the presses in-between produce hypertrophy, but just the swing set is also a fine thing.

@Ryan T, it would be a very short article, basically what I posted above in post #41.

If you think about it, a weight you can swing powerfully for a minute isn't going to be much of a challenge, but 20-25 reps kind of falls into that category of "if you had to do more, you'd be cooked, but since it's the only thing you're doing, it'll be OK." I think 20-25 reps is kind of the sweet spot.

-S-

The beauty of your article is it will take 1 minute to write and 1 minute to read. Works on so many levels…

I’m quite famously not a fan of the S+S. I don’t understand enough about all these A+A protocols either. I know there’s a talk test and I know about Maffetone and I’m not saying anything against them. I’m just a sledgehammer type of person. Lol 20 swings on the minute for 20 minutes was the swing protocol I was taught to survive and then attempt it with a heavier weight and heavier again and I always enjoyed that kind of stuff.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^100 % Agree^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd rather HIIT it and quit it.

On day 4 of the workout. The body really adapts quickly to the 50 sets. When I did the 10k swings in 10 days. Sets of 40 were no problem by day 4. I'm doing this as originally written as a standalone program. But not timing. Taking 35-40 minutes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^100 % Agree^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd rather HIIT it and quit it.

On day 4 of the workout. The body really adapts quickly to the 50 sets. When I did the 10k swings in 10 days. Sets of 40 were no problem by day 4. I'm doing this as originally written as a standalone program. But not timing. Taking 35-40 minutes.
10,000 in 10 days. Was it sets of 40 in one sitting.

10,000 in 10 days. Was it sets of 40 in one sitting.
Not every set. I'd mix it up, weight and rep scheme. The first 3 days were tough with hot spots on hands. I used a hand towel on the handle for cushioning. Then the callouses toughen up.

Each day took about 60-70 minutes. It's just boring.

Aesthetically, HIGHLY recommend just before a beach vacation or cruise. You'll look better nekkid.

First off, as everyone else has said congrats on completion of the Challenge. I tried it and didn't get very far. Told one of my friends about it, he completed it but at a lighter weight. And I use portions of it when training my clients.

Now, for my KB challenge! I have 10 KB's: 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 125, 150, 175, 206. My goal, self inflicted challenge is to get 10 swings in with all 10 in one session. Up to 125 I can do, the rest are a challenge!

Now, for my KB challenge! I have 10 KB's: 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 125, 150, 175, 206. My goal, self inflicted challenge is to get 10 swings in with all 10 in one session. Up to 125 I can do, the rest are a challenge!
What does one do with such large kettlebells? I suppose a larger human than me might have some use for them. Mine biggest three, in kg, are 48, 56, and 64 kg. That's 106, 123, and 141, and I'm 150 lbs. I can manage a decent set of 10 reps at the 2-handed swing with the 48, and I might be able to improve my low swing with the 56 kg, but the 64 is pretty much a doorstop.

I will note that, when I attempted to buy a 56 kg bell which I was to pick up in person, I was given a 64 kg by mistake and didn't notice until I got it home, but then I decided to keep it - what the heck, right? - and went back a few weeks later and got a 56.

-S-

You turn into a swinging machine after the first week. My whole issue with only using the one kettlebell (24kg recommended) is the set of 50 turning into start stop. Like I say the variation with the descending weights is you’ll manage the 50. If memory serves you get 3 minutes to rest after the set of 50. That gets cannibalised first. I only really did dips as my strength move. I attempted chin-ups but the fatigue of the grip messed with my chins. Go for it and surprise yourself. I was doing it in like 22 minutes after starting at like 38 minutes to complete it.
Heck of a lot of volume and density here.

Reactions: Kev
The article says that swings can be substituted with hill sprints. Could the press be substituted with push-ups, in the case no weights are available?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom