all posts post new thread

Kettlebell A+A for Ultra-running crosstraining

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@jmwatson, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

The word "while" troubles me here. My recommendations:

Give up on improving your endurance output _while_ getting smaller. Walk instead of running. Follow a strength training regimen and manage the variables correctly - short sets, long rests, high frequency, moderate overall volume - to get stronger without adding muscle. And look to your diet to help you lose size. Pick _a_ goal, work towards it, achieve it, and then pick another goal. Changing body composition is a big goal.

-S-
Damn. I guess I'm impatient and want to improve everything at the same time.

My schedule so far looks something like this and I've been seeing improvements in both run time and body comp, specifically the powerlifter chubby midsection. Ideally, I'd like to run 3day/wk and cross-train 3day/wk with a variable active recovery or total rest day. The cross-training piece is where I think I'll have the most success in the short term focusing on Q+D or A+A etc but I could be wrong.

Su: Timed effort ~60-90minutes (run+walk breaks to keep the effort level low)
M: KB specific work with some high rep long rest dumbbell work after
T: Active recovery or total rest depending on how I feel (usually I walk for ~60min @ low effort)
W: Bodyweight circuit and 30min run workout (hills, sprints, intervals, etc)
T: KB specific work with some high rep long rest dumbbell work after
F: AM swim PM climb/ski etc
Sa: ~60-90min continuous run effort (This is usually a moderate or slightly higher effort)

I also spend about 15min a day working on mobility and stretching/prehab

Damn. I guess I'm impatient and want to improve everything at the same time.

My schedule so far looks something like this and I've been seeing improvements in both run time and body comp, specifically the powerlifter chubby midsection. Ideally, I'd like to run 3day/wk and cross-train 3day/wk with a variable active recovery or total rest day. The cross-training piece is where I think I'll have the most success in the short term focusing on Q+D or A+A etc but I could be wrong.

Su: Timed effort ~60-90minutes (run+walk breaks to keep the effort level low)
M: KB specific work with some high rep long rest dumbbell work after
T: Active recovery or total rest depending on how I feel (usually I walk for ~60min @ low effort)
W: Bodyweight circuit and 30min run workout (hills, sprints, intervals, etc)
T: KB specific work with some high rep long rest dumbbell work after
F: AM swim PM climb/ski etc
Sa: ~60-90min continuous run effort (This is usually a moderate or slightly higher effort)

I also spend about 15min a day working on mobility and stretching/prehab
If you have not done so already, I would encourage you to start a training log on either of the two training log sections on this forum.

My schedule so far looks something like this and I've been seeing improvements in both run time and body comp, specifically the powerlifter chubby midsection.
Far be it from me to tell you to stop doing something that's working for you. If you're happy with your results and you're staying healthy, ignore my advice and carry on with what you're doing until such time as your program stops working for you.

-S-

I'm not a big drinker so that's easy. Most of my weight came from intentional gain. There is a phrase a lifting buddy of mine always said, something like "there isn't a strength plateau you can't eat your way through" Anyway. I have recently started to maintain a lower carb (not low-carb just lower) than before and I feel like I still have enough energy and have lost some jiggle. I've tried intermittent fasting before and for me, it's just a pathway to trouble. I either can't make it consistently because I screw up not eating quite enough the day before or I try to be tough and see how long I can go and it's a disaster. Mainly I've been focusing on lean proteins (lots of chicken and turkey) with a day or two of fish ( I spent a year in AK so I have a freezer full) or red meat. I make sure to have 3 servings of fruit and veg every day. It's not at every meal but always the amount. For carbs I just eat less (not really restrictive, I just don't gorge) on the tasty ones like potatoes and stuff, I'm not really a bread guy so that doesn't really factor in.

Great input! I have already do/have started some of these things already. I'm not a big drinker so that's easy. Most of my weight came from intentional gain. There is a phrase a lifting buddy of mine always said, something like "there isn't a strength plateau you can't eat your way through" Anyway. I have recently started to maintain a lower carb (not low-carb just lower) than before and I feel like I still have enough energy and have lost some jiggle. I've tried intermittent fasting before and for me, it's just a pathway to trouble. I either can't make it consistently because I screw up not eating quite enough the day before or I try to be tough and see how long I can go and it's a disaster. Mainly I've been focusing on lean proteins (lots of chicken and turkey) with a day or two of fish ( I spent a year in AK so I have a freezer full) or red meat. I make sure to have 3 servings of fruit and veg every day. It's not at every meal but always the amount. For carbs I just eat less (not really restrictive, I just don't gorge) on the tasty ones like potatoes and stuff, I'm not really a bread guy so that doesn't really factor in.

Hey dude - just my experience, but as a heavier guy running the minute I start cutting calories I start getting little nagging injuries. That said I have built running up while also losing weight. This isn't a contradiction per se. Eat around maintenance and gradually build (running) volume. Technically this will put you in a slight deficit, but I've found this ("this" being getting a deficit via increasing work) works so much better than "cutting" in that the weight loss happens but you don't get little nagging problems pop up. Weight loss is slow (1-2lbs a month), but it is "easy." Rather than focus on eating less, focus on eating more "healthy" foods - however you want to define that. Cutting carbs was always a big mistake for me. I've found my "minimum" to be around 135g/day, and I'm much better at 200g/day - in terms of how I feel, energy, etc. as well as little things popping up.

Priorities are eating enough and building run volume. Secondary are learning eating habits that incorporate more higher quality foods as well as how to eat to support your goals. And last comes weight loss - which will come.

Just my experience, but if weight loss is the #1 priority and you'll be in a significant calorie deficit (1-2lbs weight loss per week), I would replace the running with walking and focus on kettlebell/other strength work. Then, once you've achieved whatever weight loss you want, you can focus on the running without risking the niggling issues that come along with being bigger + running lots + low calories.

I'm going to add a vote for 'losing weight begins in the kitchen'.

As for training, if running mate volume is a problem due to weight, I'd recommend LISS sessions on the stationary bike using the Maffetone numbers.
If you want to accelerate fat loss, do 1 hr in the morning (pre breakfast) and 1 hour in evening (post dinner). Use intermittent fasting to extend non-eating window. This training, coupled with correct diet, will allow you to build out your aerobic base with minimal biological cost.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom