all posts post new thread

Kettlebell A+A

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mat Roberts

Level 4 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Can anyone give me a weekly example of 5-6 days per week doing A+A snstches and maybe combining TGU, press, swing, clean, squat around the snatch being main emphasis.

Looking for a better explained program going into detail explaining A+A

I would do as follows:
  • 3 times per week: A+A snatches
Then, on snatch days or different days:
  • Clean and Press: 2/week. Ladders to 3 with 10 RM or so
  • Front Squat: 2/week. 2x5 (weight about 10 RM)
  • TGU: Use as warm up, light weight.
  • Swings: Dont do them. Or do them in replacement of the snatch as main lift.
Many do slow cardio on the days they dont snatch as well.

I like to keep the focus on snatching. If my hands get hot and I have more energy I'll switch to swings and getups to finish a session, or as a replacement session if my hands aren't recovered. Squats and presses could work well for this purpose. I've found between running and snatching, I can't recover from squats as well.

I would do as follows:
  • 3 times per week: A+A snatches
Then, on snatch days or different days:
  • Clean and Press: 2/week. Ladders to 3 with 10 RM or so
  • Front Squat: 2/week. 2x5 (weight about 10 RM)
  • TGU: Use as warm up, light weight.
  • Swings: Dont do them. Or do them in replacement of the snatch as main lift.
Many do slow cardio on the days they dont snatch as well.
This, but deadlifts instead of squats. Maybe singles.

This post will give you plenty of ideas.

It mixes Easy Strength (Zercher Sq and OP) with "Easy Endurance" (rowing, slow running) and Anti-Glycotic "Easy Power Repeatability"

Since about 4 months now I re-entered zercher squats, I do them almost daily 'easy strength'

I've build a rack, and for 6/7 weeks now one bar is always set up for the zercher, another for the bb press.

Almost daily I do around 10 +- total zerchersquats and 10-30 presses. Varying load and/or rep schemes a bit. Sometimes a few standing abwheel rollouts 5-10 total. This is my strength routine I want to stick some months. A session is about 7-20 minutes. Directly before the strength session I lately do (6rx4)x 1-3 series of jumps and (5rx4)x 1-3 series plyopushups.

Almost daily I do endurance rowing and or running, sometimes more rowing sometimes more running 30-90min at 115-130bpm mostly. Often I go on the rower or run a bit after the strength session.

2-3 alactic snatch sessions 20-40 repeats.

This is my general preparation of power, strength, endurance. The different parts ebb and flow into each other.

To alternate A+A sessions with endurance work is a time tested fool-proof highly effective and sustainable method: snatch powerfully with decent form as much as your hands like, when they don't like to snatch, go locomote.

Last edited:
So A+A whats reps and sets each sessions throughout the week guys.

Are snatch heavy 5 and lower

So A+A whats reps and sets each sessions throughout the week guys.

Are snatch heavy 5 and lower
Hej @Mat Roberts
Man, this comes off rather rude. Please be more respectful to the people that are taking the time to answer your question. And do your homework and google "A+A strongfirst" and educate yourself. There have been plenty of posts about A+A already.

[Edit: All good now :) ]

However, to be more helpful, especially for folks reading along, here are some additional infos.

As written above:
2-3 alactic snatch sessions 20-40 repeats
(heavy snatches or swings, 3-5 reps)

Read this:
A + A Training – Be Well and Strong

Further, I have collected quite a few quotes from this forum. Check this document and scroll to the A+A section (p. 36 ff.):
StrongFirst Forum and Article Nuggets.docx
This will probably answer most of your questions.

Last edited:
@Bauer sorry if you got that opinion. Which is far from the truth.

Ive been looking at A+A on strongfirst site but didnt get much on this, maybe I looked in wrong place.

But hense why I created this post. Which think theres no need to be like that.

Thanks for reply

@Bauer sorry if you got that opinion. Which is far from the truth.

Ive been looking at A+A on strongfirst site but didnt get much on this, maybe I looked in wrong place.

But hense why I created this post. Which think theres no need to be like that.

Thanks for reply
Great, then we are on the same page again :)

Have a look at this plan:
training-session-lengths.jpg

From this article:
A Science-Based Plan to Prepare You for the SFG Level I and SFG Level II | StrongFirst

This plan is based on sets of 10 and EMOM.

You could probably follow it with sets of 5 and double the numbers. And follow the talk test rather then a fixed interval.
Lift No Faster Than You Can Talk: An Excerpt from S&S 2.0 | StrongFirst

Can anyone give me a weekly example of 5-6 days per week doing A+A snstches and maybe combining TGU, press, swing, clean, squat around the snatch being main emphasis.

Looking for a better explained program going into detail explaining A+A

Here’s a link to a thread I started a couple of weeks ago. It’ll hopefully answer some of your questions. I’m currently using the spreadsheet planner to determine the number of repeats per hand I’m doing for the day. You can change the number of days per week to 3 if you change the number in the 4th day wave % cell to 1.

A+A Weekly Volume

Then you can do whatever else you’d like grind-wise on other days.

Hope this helps!

@Marty thanks. Have you followed the one reccomened by bauer above replacing swings for snatches 5 emom and on grind days do another lift apart from presses

@Marty thanks. Have you followed the one reccomened by bauer above replacing swings for snatches 5 emom and on grind days do another lift apart from presses

I have not. However, it is a good suggestion. I chose the example I gave because the number of average repeats seem more in line with what this article recommends...

A + A Training – Be Well and Strong

As far as grinds, I’m keeping them fairly low volume. Especially overhead grinds. I don’t want to stress the shoulders too much with something other than snatching. In my experience, there’s no need to do much. I’ve experienced a maintenance/increase in pressing strength from consistent heavy snatching. I mostly stick to light’ish’ get-ups, goblet/front squats, low volume armor building complex sessions, and low volume deadlifts from this plan:

Daily Dose Deadlift Plan | StrongFirst

Not sure if my experience will be consistent with others here, but I hope it helps! I’m learning as I go. Good luck!

@Mat Roberts - the spreadsheet that @Bauer posted was exactly the one I use and was going to post so thank you @Bauer , much appreciated.

It’s easy to use for A&A. It was designed for 10 rep swing sets but can easily be used for sets of 5 for the snatch or very heavy 5 rep swings. I just make the number for that day the number of rounds per side as opposed to the total number of rounds. It has worked great so far and I can regulate the volume by just reducing weight or reps if I feel run down. As well, I can increase volume by jumping up to 6 or 7 reps.

Hope this helps you.

@Mat Roberts - I deadlift on occasion. A good plan for snatches/swings with other lifts is the Vodka and Pickles program. I’ll look for a link but basically you do multiple heavy singles of deadlifts, 10-15 followed by 5 x 5 of squats, I’ll do pull ups between sets. The next session two days later you do multiple singles for deadlifts followed by 100-150 snatches/swings. You can google it for a better explanation. I’m starting a new round tomorrow morning. Great program in my opinion.

@ShawnM are you doing any other lifts like presses, cleans, deadlifts, pullup etc with this snatch work.

The Vodka and Pickles program mentioned by @ShawnM is great, BUT: It could be too much with A+A snatches. It better fits with the lower volume Q&D or just do the work as written in the program. If you start with A+A snatches you will see that it can be more work than it looks like on paper. So if you are new to A+A, then just do A+A and start with adding some other movements. But add them slowly and with care. Think about your regeneration and adjust if necessary. Don't forget to work on your aerobic base.

You could do this:
Q&D + Minimalist Deadlifts | StrongFirst

What I suggest:

A+A snatches
Minimalist deadlifts
Some pull ups
Loaded carries
Aerobic work

There you have more than you will ever need.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom