all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Advice on Push Press, please

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Aha. I am actually not sure what I would call a Shoulder Press myself (probably a press with a dumbbell), but I got the impression you were making a distinction when you said, "I've been struggling with the Shoulder Press, so I started doing Push Press in an attempt to strengthen the shoulder muscles and, eventually, be able to perform the Military Press exercise."

There are lots of sources, tips, and tricks for building a strong press -- in-person instruction from and SFG would be the recommended way to go! The SFG standards video shows the method that is taught and practiced here, but doesn't tell you how to get there.

Here is another idea: StrongFirst: Training Center
Module 8 of the online Kettlebell Fundamentals course is the Military Press.

In Barbell training, a Military Press was originally used to describe a strict press in which the lifter's feet remained together. Like a soldier standing to attention, hence the name. If the lifter's feet were apart, but there was no leg drive, it was referred to as a Strict Press. These days, the terms are basically used interchangeably for any overhead press other than the Push Press.

The Barbell Clean and Press used to be an Olympic Lift, but it was eventually dropped from competition because too many lifters were leaning back while Pressing. Effectively turning a Strict Overhead Press into a Standing Incline Bench.

Just a bit of trivia. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom