all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Aeropress

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have one. Very simple and reliable. But for small batch brewing I have been happily converted to the Aeropress

In another Aero Press & coffee thread...:eek: ;), we spoke about cold brewing coffee. I made that switch back in September. I can no longer drink hot coffee. Most I have tried is bitter, even with sugar, honey or creamer. The smoothness of cold brewed coffee is a difference maker to me. I even made sure to pack a cooler on the 8+ hour drive over Thanksgiving weekend, that was tall enough to have a carafe steeping while on the road. I may be trying hot tea though, as an alternative. I read on here about peppermint green tea, and I may give that a try.

Tested has some good coffee content. That is where I first discovered the Aeropress. I was a pourover convert for a few years before trying the Aeropress.
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJtitKU0CAehMmiSI9oCIv3WCJrZqMWZ0

I have not owned a coffee maker or used a French press for a number of years. I have a Aeropress in my tool box at work, one in my pack, and one in the pantry, to me it is the best thing since the electric kettle.

Tested has some good coffee content. That is where I first discovered the Aeropress. I was a pourover convert for a few years before trying the Aeropress.
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJtitKU0CAehMmiSI9oCIv3WCJrZqMWZ0

I have not owned a coffee maker or used a French press for a number of years. I have a Aeropress in my tool box at work, one in my pack, and one in the pantry, to me it is the best thing since the electric kettle.
That was basically my evolution also: French Press to Pour Over to Aeropress

I went from drip to French press, to espresso machine to Aeropress. I am really happy with the Aeropress. The secret is fresh ground coffee. I have a Lido 2 hand grinder from Orphan Espresso (simply the best hand grinder available) and it works great. I can get course to espresso grind pretty easily. Fresh ground really makes a difference. I like a notch or two courser than espresso grind. Inverted method, 1 minute seep.

The secret is fresh ground coffee
Fresh roasted makes a big difference, too. We're home roasters so it's always fresh roasted here, and our machine grinds just before it make the coffee.

-S-

I use a pour over technique - heat water to 190F then pour a little to get grounds wet, pour rest over 30s later. I use a Cone filter. This approach is undefeated for me in overall coffee awesome-ness, and is pretty low maintenance.

I enjoy the simple Italian Bialetti system, which is good for travelling and home use. I use it for years now and I do not know anything that sustainable and reliable. A italian friend of mine uses his one for 25 years now and it still works, without maintenance.
Does someone use something of this kind ?

25 years ago I spent a summer traveling Italy, Spain, France, and Portugal. Italians introduced me to the Italian Bialetti (aka Moka Pot). Purchased one when I got home (still have it). Love this method of making coffee. Over the years I've dabbled in many other coffee makers but always come back to my trusty Moka Pot.

Google search returns many hits but I like this introduction.

Moka pot - Wikipedia

Hello,

Yes. This is also my favorite coffee maker. I can order exactly what kind of coffee mix I want to the coffee merchant. It is very flexible, never breaks down, and makes a perfect decoration :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes. This is also my favorite coffee maker. I can order exactly what kind of coffee mix I want to the coffee merchant. It is very flexible, never breaks down, and makes a perfect decoration :)

I have this fascination for simple, inexpensive , durable, and pleasurable devices or things. Added bonus if some type of ritual is built in to using those devices or things.

The ritual associated with the Moka Pot making and then drinking of a wonderful cup of coffee is something I'm hooked on.

Perhaps this is why I so much enjoy S&S with the Kettlebell. :):D

Hello,

@Dave Johnson
A kettlebell, a moka pot, and you're good to go !

The simplest, the best ! If I can avoid complicated stuff, with lots of electronics and so on, I generally go for it. It is far more resilient. If there is an electrical shutdown...I can still drink my coffee :) Nespresso and so on won't.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've been wanting to try an aeropress for a while. More for camping than home use.

I currently use a pour over cone the most, but often use the French press too. Pour over is super cheap to try out. You can get the plastic Melitta cone for $3-$5. Any manual method of making coffee in which you use recently roasted and ground on the spot beans will be head and shoulders above any keurig cups and any canned coffee in a drip machine.

If you like a "clean" but flavorful cup of coffee, try the pour over cone.
If you like the idea of "more body" in your coffee, the French press lets more of the oils and particulates in your cup which can be great too depending on your preference.

Looks very nice, my French Press just got pounded so this looks very interesting. (And a whole lot simpler than my alternative, an old chemistry glass still lol, though it does make a tasty cup)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom