all posts post new thread

Kettlebell all-around-training-for-the-tactical-athlete

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello @ShawnM ,

This reminds me a lot the routine that the Commando Marine I mentioned earlier does:
Monday: 20k cycling, 150 pull ups, 10 x 4m rope climb (arm only), 500 abs
Tuesday: 450 push ups, 150 dips, 150 squats with body armour, 500 abs
Wednesday: 150 box jumps, 150 squats with body armour, 150 pull ups, 500 abs
Thursday: 450 push ups, 150 push ups, 5 x1 minute wall sit with body armour, 500 abs
Friday: 10km cyling, 150 pull ups, 10 x 4m rope climb (arm only), 500 abs
Saturday: rest
Sunday: rest

This is not that far from what you mentioned. It would be perfectly possible to replace the 30k total of cycling by running, or a combination of running and rucking. He admitted he does bicycle because this is more knee friendly. Based on that, 30km of running can be splitted more or less as we want. 30k a week would be the minimum for almost any selection. Here is a Stew Smith's routine close to that: Army Special Forces - Green Berets - Workout and SFAS Preparation from Stew Smith Fitness - Preparing Americans for Military,Special Ops, Police, and Fire Fighting Professions

As we can see, legs are done almost on a daily basis, whether using distance running / cycling or squats.

At his age, he was climbing this rope effortlessly. He also had incredible core strength during fighting (technique aside). He did not report any back issue, but I guess he does a well balance core training.

In my boxing gym, a guy was training to join this unit (and by the time, succeeded in the first phase of selection). He was training that way (mostly calisthenics, sometimes weighted though), paired with plenty of running. Basically he trained like so in the morning and in the evening, and sometimes at midday, but with fairly short sessions each time.

There are different ways of thinking running / rucking. Some say that running helped their rucking, some say the other way around. I guess it depends on the weight you have to ruck with. Based on Mike Prevost's work, it seems to have a sweet spot: Mike Prevost: Ruck Training Programs - PART 1 - On Target Publications

If we assume that older operators are not "less effective" than new ones, and if we assume than operational doctrines do not evolve that fast, it seems to show that strength endurance is a key factor of success, both for preparation and maintenance.

This is where StrongFirst's approach can be interesting: I have noticed that a fairly low volume of OAP and HSPU immediately transfer to high rep of "regular" push ups. The same thing occurs with core training. I did the test not that long ago... Pull ups are still somewhere in the middle (at least for me). If I were to prepare for Selection with mainly calisthenics as a strength builder, I would preferentially use low rep training, which gives more relative strength and have great carryover. The other way around does not seem that true. I'd keep some specificity (a few high rep here and there just to secure the thing).

It seems that "high rep" training still have value and is proven to work until these day, assuming we stretch and do the mobility stuff alongside.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Here you go, found this earlier this afternoon.
navyseals.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/naval-special-warfare-physical-training-guide.pdf

From what I've seen in my own ruck training: For years I was a ride or die member of the "Ruck don't Run" train. I was a good rucker, but barely held my own running. After switching over to increasing my running, my HR while rucking has dropped a good amount for the same weight and pace, but with better/easier run times.

A place is definitely required in a program for each, but depending on experience and general strength (weaker should ruck, stronger should run) would determine what I recommend to a new soldier.

From what I've seen in my own ruck training: For years I was a ride or die member of the "Ruck don't Run" train. I was a good rucker, but barely held my own running. After switching over to increasing my running, my HR while rucking has dropped a good amount for the same weight and pace, but with better/easier run times.

A place is definitely required in a program for each, but depending on experience and general strength (weaker should ruck, stronger should run) would determine what I recommend to a new soldier.
I'd say that the metric to use to determine 'stronger' vs 'weaker' would be is that Soldier at the Timeless Simple Standard and going from there.

Rope climbing is no joke. I have a relatively strong grip (some joke the grip strength of a mutant) and pretty all around good strength, but that rope kicks my a#@. I've never really climbed rope before so this is my first foray, but I hurt and am humbled

Hello,

@HUNTER1313
Did you try to climb with arms only ? Or with the legs ?

For the first one, there is a 'trick': the 'low' has never to be extended. The greatest angle has to be 90° (between arm and forearm). That way, when you pull yourself up, the upper arm (which at this moment is close to full extension) has an assistance for the first half of the ROM (which is the hardest part of the ROM). Both arms has to pull at the same time.

For the 2nd, there are several options. If you are right handed : your right knee has to be on the right side of the rope, and the rope against your shin. You right foot has to be on the left of the rope. To lift yourself up: just grab the rope (arms extended). Tuck your torso (thigh almost on the belly) while maintaining the rope / leg as described above. Then with the left foot, catch the rope (like a hook) and firmly crush it on the upper part of your right foot. Then, push on your legs. Once the legs are extended, you are 'straight'. Then, extend your arms again and repeat the whole process. That way, your arms never pull. Legs do almost everything.

@ShawnM
Thank you ! I am amazed by the very few number of repetitions of the strength portion : 8-12 reps, only 1 set (but plenty of exercices though, with little to no rest). Did you try something similar ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@HUNTER1313

For the first one, there is a 'trick': the 'low' has never to be extended. The greatest angle has to be 90° (between arm and forearm). That way, when you pull yourself up, the upper arm (which at this moment is close to full extension) has an assistance for the first half of the ROM (which is the hardest part of the ROM). Both arms has to pull at the same time.

For the 2nd, there are several options. If you are right handed : your right knee has to be on the right side of the rope, and the rope against your shin. You right foot has to be on the left of the rope. To lift yourself up: just grab the rope (arms extended). Tuck your torso (thigh almost on the belly) while maintaining the rope / leg as described above. Then with the left foot, catch the rope (like a hook) and firmly crush it on the upper part of your right foot. Then, push on your legs. Once the legs are extended, you are 'straight'. Then, extend your arms again and repeat the whole process. That way, your arms never pull. Legs do almost everything.

@ShawnM
Thank you ! I am amazed by the very few number of repetitions of the strength portion : 8-12 reps, only 1 set (but plenty of exercices though, with little to no rest). Did you try something similar ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@HUNTER1313

@ShawnM

Kind regards,

Pet'
I have used a similar program. I’m still trying to locate it.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. What would an all around kick a#@ bad a#@ do? What I came up with was two days of kettlebells, two days of maces, and two days clubs. Then I thought maybe three days of kettlebells. An a and b split of s&a and Pavel Maceks s&s with push presses. (Monday swings and get ups, Wednesday swings and push presses, Friday swings and get ups, Monday swings and push presses, etc). There will be enough variety to prevent boredom, yet some of the movements will be similar so they can piggy back upon themselves. The training will be minimalistic so tactical people or just plain hardworking people can still train and earn a living.
Funny enough I have just started this method of training. I hit timeless simple a few months ago and it kind of burnt me out. I've been messing around with multiple programmes since for a change and variety but couldn't stick to any (Strongfirst - bjj fanatics, ROP and giant).
I have started back at 28k swings, 28k getups and 16k Push press and will follow the simple and sinister progression and see what happens. I like the variety of A,B,A and that it can be done 5 to 3 times a week depending on recovery/time/season. Also I'm hoping Push press adds a bit of hypertrophy without having to train for it per say.

Hello,

@HUNTER1313

@ShawnM

Kind regards,

Pet'
Yes arms only (well maybe an attempt at kipping and extra body english).

I'd say that the metric to use to determine 'stronger' vs 'weaker' would be is that Soldier at the Timeless Simple Standard and going from there.
100% that is a great metric to use, although it may be of more benefit to use the ACFT as it becomes more prevalent within the Army and certain events (The Hand-Release Pushup, Deadlift, and Sprint-Drag-Carry in particular) should provide a pretty inclusive snapshot going forward to judge a Soldier's comprehensive fitness.

True enough. In that case I'd use a Soldier's ACFT deadlift score as a way to verify what is 'strong' before I figure out programming for him or her. In any case this program could well be good for reservists who have civilian lives/jobs to balance with their Army lives/jobs.

The only problem there is that I’ve literally never seen a soldier fail the deadlift event. The standard is low, and though most of them have terrible form, they’re used to just soldiering through it. Before I start training sessions I always ask what their worst ACFT exercise is. Without fail the majority is usually the leg tuck, power throw, and sled drag. The kettlebell swing is obviously the perfect place to start for all of those.

The only problem there is that I’ve literally never seen a soldier fail the deadlift event. The standard is low, and though most of them have terrible form, they’re used to just soldiering through it. Before I start training sessions I always ask what their worst ACFT exercise is. Without fail the majority is usually the leg tuck, power throw, and sled drag. The kettlebell swing is obviously the perfect place to start for all of those.
That's true. So by 'strong' in the deadlift I'd say a Soldier able to get 80 points or better in that event qualifies as 'strong'.

That's true. So by 'strong' in the deadlift I'd say a Soldier able to get 80 points or better in that event qualifies as 'strong'.
I think when considering the ACFT the Black standard would be the ideal choice to judge their weight (70 Points). At least then its a bit easier to determine across the various events.

I've seen Soldier's fail the Leg Tuck and Power Throw although the throw seems to be a lack of coordination rather than power. While not failing, a good number struggle to complete the SDC and 2 Mile Run, coming in right on the time hack of failure. I'd be interested in seeing more data about the correlation between a strong SDC score and the rest of the ACFT. Taking a SWAG at it, I'd assume that a strong SDC would relate directly to a better overall score (with a better R-value than other events).

While I don't mind the power throw, I personally disagree with its addition. Of all the events, that one is quite difficult for Soldiers to train for, and could be replaced with say a standing broad jump to measure power instead (just a quick rant).

Hmmm? What’s this based on?

And I guess.... define ‘short’ and ‘good’ in this context...
100% on purely anecdotal personal experience and that of fellow Soldiers. If I take an amazing 5'6" runner, 9 times out of 10 they will wind up being a weak runner. Conversely I take a 6' solid runner, he's likely going to be able to ruck efficiently. Total body mass definitely matters as well in this context, but stride is going to make a huge difference in their ability to walk it out vs having to shuffle it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom