all posts post new thread

Kettlebell all-around-training-for-the-tactical-athlete

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello @mikhael

As far as military selections are concerned, almost all the contents I've found focus more on running than rucking, even if the latter is not necessarily absent. For example:
- Chris McNab (former SAS) in his book 'SAS and special forces fitness training' makes the applicant rucking only 1 a week (but for hours as it is a requirement for this unit). Base is running (6 days a week, 7th is non impact cardio (swimming)) and strength training (daily). Target weight is the weight one will carry during selection
- All the Green Beret I've listened always say "be a runner first". They ruck only 1 or 2 a week but in more moderate amount that C. MacNab
- Stew Smith's programme for SFAS makes the applicant running 4-5 times and rucking 2-3 (with PT every other day).
- Same rule apply for French SF (regardless the unit)

I agree with Mike Prevost's article: usually, ruck marches use roughly 30-32kg total (pack + water + weapon + ...). In this case, assuming you do not weigh 50kg, running + strength training will be plenty because the weights you have to carry are not heavy enough.

I am not an SF guy but I like to pick up some event as a test. Not that long ago, I did a Green Beret ruck marche (12 miles ruck with the backpack). I did it in the required time (less than 3h) with only running and strength training.

Currently, I daily strength train and run. 1 or 2 week ago, I did a ruck with 40kg and it was not that heavy (I weigh 63/64)

Most of the time, there are two limiting factors:
- pain (blisters, shoulders, etc...)
- pure conditioning.

So to answer your question, if you do not ruck really heavy, then I'd favor running + strength. Possibly, for variety and specialization, it can be worthy to do 1 ruck a week. If you ruck really heavy, then rucking per se is a better option

I would not do both rucking and kb carry. I'd rather do running + kb carry + strength.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I just read about Jocko Willink. He does kettlebells, calisthenics, some barbell (deada and squats), sprints. Seven days a week and takes a day off when life makes him.

Hello,

+1 @HUNTER1313
As far as mouvement patterns are concerned, he splits: push, pull, squat, 'lift' and rotate through. The 'lift' is DL or any other move (c&p, etc...). He does LSD on the top of this.

This is described in two videos if I remember well.

He states that CrossFit is not that bad (I guess if properly done, with focus on technique and recovery) but has to be paired with running.

There is also 'Strongfirst roadwork', even if it does not replace a strength session :

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:

Ive had this bookmarked for a while, i want to try the Bodyweight program part of it, 3 days a week probably with 100 swings to warm up and jump rope the other days, i just cant bring myself to leave the kettlebell alone and only do bodyweight for that long!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom