Shoulder sequence

12/3 16:30

Mobility warmup
KB snatch 10x5 36
SQT 3x5 250#
Pullups 3x5
Grip work
Hang board

Mixed day. Snatches were a little rough- felt like my grip was taxed for some reason. Maybe something to do with doing the morning session late today? Squats were good, feels like I'm ready for more weight, with the exception of some weak point in the inner left thigh. Pullups were great, up until the very last rep. Probably didn't rest enough between sets.

12/9 07:30

45min treadmill run/walk 3.1m
FSPM + kneeling lunge

12/9 17:45

Mobility warmup
Burpees 30x2
Bent press 10x1 28,32x4

Well, yesterday was a good session, but it obviously took something out of me. Had to really drop pace on the morning run to keep HR under control, and didn't feel too springy today in burpees. Definitely some posterior chain fatigue.

On the plus side, bent press was great. Either my technique is improving, or I'm just developing a little strength to muscle through it. Either way, I'll take it.

You have a treadmill right?
Try this for ‘fun’...

1. Turn on the treadmill at a very slow walking pace
  2. Assume the position (push-up top)
  3. Hands on the treadmill deck, feet on the floor
  4. ‘Walk’ with your hands, keeping your body in plank
  5. Have fun
  6. Report back...
I've seen lot of variants of this... forwards, backwards, sideways, feet on instead of hands... but in the end, whenever I've done crawling work, 20-40 meters has been plenty before I need to stop and rest for a little bit. I've never felt like "gee, I wish I had a setup that would allow me to keep doing this for 10+ minutes straight without needing to make a turn".

I know some people swear by extended crawling... I'm planning a xmas week deload, maybe I'll do some more crawling then... but, I'll probably stick to the nice, stable floor. ?

12/10 07:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

12/10 17:45

Mobility warmup
KB snatch 10x5 28
SQT 3x3 285#
Pullups 3x3 30#
Grip work
Hang board

Good day. Dialing the swings way down during heavy barbell week definitely helps.

I was feeling a little grumpy during hang board work because it's been such slow going... but then, at the end, I passed 30 seconds on a dead hang for the first time. Progress is slow, but it happens.

12/10 07:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

12/10 17:45

Mobility warmup
KB snatch 10x5 28
SQT 3x3 285#
Pullups 3x3 30#
Grip work
Hang board

Good day. Dialing the swings way down during heavy barbell week definitely helps.

I was feeling a little grumpy during hang board work because it's been such slow going... but then, at the end, I passed 30 seconds on a dead hang for the first time. Progress is slow, but it happens.
30s is way long. Time for you to maybe be looking at harder variations...

It’s just like any strength training. There are max strength, power, and, endurance components.
I train all three; but I probably focus more on max strength, followed by endurance.

In max strength hang board training I shoot for about 5-7s hang time per ‘rep’. You can still use big holds but do them weighted.

Often times in climbing one needs to apply maximum force, but generally for only brief spurts. Although at times these must be repeated in rapid succession.

It is summed up in my log signature “If you can’t do a single strong move, you have nothing to endure

Swordplay on the other hand requires endurance.

Grip power training is a whole other thing...

Often times in climbing one needs to apply maximum force, but generally for only brief spurts. Although at times these must be repeated in rapid succession.

This makes a lot of sense for climbing... I can imagine where you need to make a brief, hard pull or whatever before you can get your feet set and rest your grip a little.

Where do you think OCR falls on that spectrum? The Spartan obstacles that have always given me the most problems seem like they require an extended amount of hanging - twister, olympus, multi-rig. So I've been previously thinking of the hangboard as an opportunity to work endurance. The little Metolius progression I've been following primary does 10-15s per "rep".

The other goal, of course, is developing the bone-crushing handshake for my daughter's future boyfriends. CoC max grip strength all the way.

This makes a lot of sense for climbing... I can imagine where you need to make a brief, hard pull or whatever before you can get your feet set and rest your grip a little.

Where do you think OCR falls on that spectrum? The Spartan obstacles that have always given me the most problems seem like they require an extended amount of hanging - twister, olympus, multi-rig. So I've been previously thinking of the hangboard as an opportunity to work endurance. The little Metolius progression I've been following primary does 10-15s per "rep".

The other goal, of course, is developing the bone-crushing handshake for my daughter's future boyfriends. CoC max grip strength all the way.
Well... whenever my little girl would introduce a new boy to me, before I shook his hand or looked him in the eyes, I would turn to her and say...”does he know that I can crush coconuts in my bare hands?” That usually caused them to wet themselves a little...

Spartan OCR... after running ability... then for sure grip is the most important thing to consider. The only obstacles I have ever failed have been grip related. (Including the multi-rig and rope climb) I would say without reservation that one really needs the gamut of max strength, power, and endurance. But... mostly ‘crushing’ grip as opposed to pinch, or crimp, or finger strength. Hang Board doesn’t really target this, although it is a great tool for ancillary or supplemental work, and should still be a component of overall grip development.

When I was doing OCR training some of the griplements I would favour were towel hangs, wrist rollers, farmers walks, and sandbag work. (Not a sandbag with handles....)

Slept in this morning, rather than getting up for a run. Probably had to do with back fatigue... more on that in a moment.

12/11 16:45

Mobility warmup
KB snatch 10x5 28
BP 3x3 210#
LTK 4x7
Joint plyo series

So, my lower back was surprisingly achy today, and I had no idea why. Then, during snatches, I realized that I was having a form breakdown. With the lighter bell, I stopped doing any pull with the elbow; I was keeping the arm straight, and yanking the bell overhead with my back. When I realized the mistake and corrected it, I could almost feel my lower back sighing in relief.

Lower weight is not necessarily "safer".

Back
Top Bottom