all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

Doctors are good at disease management these days it seems, pushing pills.. it's sad to see what's happened to our once great medical system. Most of them know very little of proactive health and what we do. Could be wrong :/
Well, I hesitate to paint them all with too broad of a brush... but, at the risk of getting a little political, in my mind this is a natural outcome of a profit-driven health care system. There are upsides and downsides, of course... this is the downside.
This is why i am becoming a PE teacher. I’m gonna stop the fires from ever starting. Should be considered preventative medicine imo.
Perfect example right there. Unfortunately preventive measures just aren't profitable, at least not on the same scale. People are less willing to pay for intangibles like longevity. Buy they're certainly willing to pay when they're in pain.

2/12 11:00

WGS sequence
Burpees 30x2
GSQT 30x1 32
Bent press 10x1 32

Pecs were surprisingly sore on Sunday. Played an hour of hardcourt volleyball, watched a decent Superbowl game, ate a ton of nachos.

2/14 16:45

WGS sequence
DL 5x5 265,295x3,265#
Push-ups 12,3x13,12
KB C&P L4,L3x4 28
Pull-ups L4,L3x4
Ab wheel 7,3x8,7
Grip work
Partial range standing ab wheel 4x4

Dang, that was a long session. I've said before, ROP is a job, not a program.

Tuesday, when I had the opportunity to head to the gym, I just didn't have the heart to go do it. Which is usually a good indication that whatever I'm doing is starting to break me down. Sure enough, that night I had one of my poor sleep due to shoulder soreness episodes. So, think it's time to hit reset.

Had volleyball on Wednesday. We got blanked by a much more talented team. The worst thing about that is listening to some of my teammates talk about how we "beat ourselves." :rolleyes: Nope, I'm pretty confident that other team was the larger factor. True competitors are self-assured, but still understand humility.

Thursday, in addition to a hellacious day at work (4 straight hours of very involved discussions), I just wasn't ready to embark on a new direction. So, went for a little bit of a test day.

2/17 19:15

WGS sequence
SQT 205,245,275,305,335# x3
BP 155,175,195,215,235# x3

That was plenty for today.

HR was pretty steady tonight - maybe because it was a post-dinner run so I was full of delicious fried rice carbs. But definitely feeling a little fatigue in the lower body.
Moving at least twice daily 7 days every week on hilly ground has me living in a constant state of soreness, not overly so, but it's definitely a 'live sore' situation.

Volleyball Wednesday night. Was one of the best days of team play we've had in a while - defense was a little off, but the whole team had the gun-sights going on offense. Fun night, celebrated with pizza and beer.

2/24 17:45

Daily mobility
32min treadmill run/walk 2.3m

2/25 08:30

Daily mobility
32min treadmill run/walk 2.2m

2/25 17:00

WGS sequence
Circuit x3
- KB snatch 2x10 28
- Push-ups x15
- Ab wheel x8
- Chin-ups x5
- BB thruster x10 65#

Whew, the base building fatigue is subtle. My back isn't sore per se, but it feels tired from absorbing the constant little impacts of running. And even this relatively short circuit felt like felt like plenty of work.

Whew, the base building fatigue is subtle. My back isn't sore per se, but it feels tired from absorbing the constant little impacts of running. And even this relatively short circuit felt like felt like plenty of work.
I know what you mean, it creeps up on you slowly.

For the last 6 mos the dog and I have footed across hilly terra firma for ~130 mi per month on average, 33 miles this week.
That's a lot of training capital to spend, I'm still trying to figure out recovery from that and resistance training along with everything else like side training and work etc.

Last edited:
Volleyball Wednesday night. Was one of the best days of team play we've had in a while - defense was a little off, but the whole team had the gun-sights going on offense. Fun night, celebrated with pizza and beer.

2/24 17:45

Daily mobility

2/25 08:30

Daily mobility

2/25 17:00

WGS sequence
Circuit x3
- KB snatch 2x10 28
- Push-ups x15
- Ab wheel x8
- Chin-ups x5
- BB thruster x10 65#

Have you thought about using a bike, either a normal bike or a stationary bike ?

Have you thought about using a bike, either a normal bike or a stationary bike ?
I know the bike can be a more recovery-friendly way to get some aerobic work in. But truth is I'm purposefully trying to rebuild my run-specific tolerance in addition to the aerobic work - no choice really but to rack up time on my feet. Just means I have to back off on the heavy work while I'm rebuilding the tolerance.

3/2 08:00

Daily mobility

Recovery run/walk, lots of walking.

Volleyball in the evening. Good games, but we went 1-2. Had the thought that my spike has developed a lot more force over the last couple years - I can hit now like I always thought I should have been hitting in my 30s. I think it's probably the addition of more overhead work.

3/3 08:00

Daily mobility

3/3 18:30

WGS sequence
Circuit x4
- KB snatch 2x10 28
- Push-ups x15
- Ab wheel x8
- Chin-ups x5
- BB thruster x10 65

3/5 13:30

Daily mobility
52min treadmill run/walk 3.8m

16 mile week - not bad for a rhinoceros.

It certainly seems to me that accumulating volume is the key to building running stamina - even just a couple weeks have made a big change. Can that really be done when you also want to build max strength?... that is the question.

I suppose this might be where I really need to learn periodization. Sometimes accumulate run volume, sometimes accumulate weight work... maybe trying to do both isn't realistic.

Back
Top Bottom