all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

May I ask, why you use the treadmill?
Simply because it makes it that much more likely that I'll actually do it.

I like running outside, but I'm definitely a wuss about it. I don't like running when the temperature gets below ~40F or so - which means in the winter the early morning or late afternoon is generally out. And then I have a window in the late spring / early summer where I refuse to run outside at all due to allergies.

I do try to get in some outdoor runs when I can, but the treadmill at least makes it so I can't use the weather as an excuse not to do something.

Simply because it makes it that much more likely that I'll actually do it.

I like running outside, but I'm definitely a wuss about it. I don't like running when the temperature gets below ~40F or so - which means in the winter the early morning or late afternoon is generally out. And then I have a window in the late spring / early summer where I refuse to run outside at all due to allergies.

I do try to get in some outdoor runs when I can, but the treadmill at least makes it so I can't use the weather as an excuse not to do something.
No judgments, just curious. My brother in law says it’s much more forgiving on his knees and what not too. I used to use them more in the before times when i had a gym membership. It was nice for speed work and weather days.

No judgments, just curious. My brother in law says it’s much more forgiving on his knees and what not too. I used to use them more in the before times when i had a gym membership. It was nice for speed work and weather days.
I personally haven't noticed it being easier on the joints/knees... but I've been fortunate, I guess, that jogging hasn't ever really bothered my knees. My hips are always the first thing to get sore, and that seems to happen outside or on the treadmill. No idea what that means.

I know you're not judging... but, I can feel brother @offwidth 's disappointment every time I turn the treadmill on :oops:

I personally haven't noticed it being easier on the joints/knees... but I've been fortunate, I guess, that jogging hasn't ever really bothered my knees. My hips are always the first thing to get sore, and that seems to happen outside or on the treadmill. No idea what that means.

I know you're not judging... but, I can feel brother @offwidth 's disappointment every time I turn the treadmill on :oops:
Lmao, i cant run with headphones anymore without thinking of him and @Bret S. now….my hips always go first too.

Volleyball on Wednesday. Played a weak team, but that's the first time we've gotten out on the court in 3 weeks due to various stuff. So, any volleyball is better than no volleyball.

Missed Thursday training due to work stress and basketball practice. Unfortunately that's starting to become a habit.

2/4 08:00

Daily mobility
30min treadmill run/walk 1.9m
- 10W 7E 13W

2/4 15:45

WGS sequence
DL 5x5 265,295,265#x3
KB C&P L3x4, L2 28
Pull-ups L3x4, L2
TRX-assisted pistols 5,6,3x5
Ab wheel 7,8,3x7

2/6 11:00

Daily mobility
42min outdoor jog 3.2m
- Ave HR 146, max 157

146 HR on 13-minute miles? Sheesh :( I think part of this is that burpees are surprising tough on the legs - in general my legs have just been feeling fatigued lately.

Anyways, followed that up with 2 hours of batting practice with the baseball team, and then 2 hours of hardcourt volleyball. Earned my tacos & margaritas for the day.

146 HR on 13-minute miles? Sheesh :( I think part of this is that burpees are surprising tough on the legs - in general my legs have just been feeling fatigued lately.
I have experienced the same thing. Burpees will sneak up on you when volume kicks up, the power jump from a squatting position really adds up.

2/6 11:00

Daily mobility
42min outdoor jog 3.2m
- Ave HR 146, max 157

Anyways, followed that up with 2 hours of batting practice with the baseball team, and then 2 hours of hardcourt volleyball. Earned my tacos & margaritas for the day.
Outdoor run! My HR has been ridiculous lately too.

Been a bit of a tough week training-wise - work has been busy, and mobility + LSD sessions are always the first to get thrown overboard. Gotta set priorities, though, that's just life.

Volleyball on Wednesday- good games against a good team, lots of fun. Thursday was another missed opportunity - but these happen a lot when coaching kids sports. Again, all about priorities.

2/11 08:30

Daily mobility
30min treadmill run/walk 1.9m
- 10W 7E 13W

2/11 16:45

WGS sequence
DL 5x5 265,295x2,265#x2
KB C&P L3x5 28
Pull-ups L3x5
Ab wheel 7,8x2,7,5 standing partial range
Grip work

So, today I went and saw my doctor. No reason, had just been 4 years, figured I should go check in. Now, I'm about 20# heavier than I was last time I was at the doc. And I know exactly why - I've shifted focus to being stronger, vs 4 years ago my training was all hard runs and burn-out metcons. I know that extra weight probably isn't the best thing for my health... but honestly, aside from my ability to run hard for a long time, I feel like I'm in much better shape than 4 years ago. And my waistline hasn't expanded, so I know at least some of that weight is beef, not pork.

The doc sees the numbers from the scale, and tells me I should "keep an eye on exercise."

:mad::rolleyes:

I get it, that's standard doctor advice. Maybe not a great thing to say to a guy who is already OCD about training. Particularly a guy who is OCD about wanting to be strong enough to pick you up and throw you to the other side of the examination room.

So, guess I should probably find another doctor. ROFL

I get it, that's standard doctor advice. Maybe not a great thing to say to a guy who is already OCD about training. Particularly a guy who is OCD about wanting to be strong enough to pick you up and throw you to the other side of the examination room.

So, guess I should probably find another doctor. ROFL
Doctors are good at disease management these days it seems, pushing pills.. it's sad to see what's happened to our once great medical system. Most of them know very little of proactive health and what we do. Could be wrong :/

Back
Top Bottom