all posts post new thread

Annoying form breakdown (Squat)

metaldrummer

Level 6 Valued Member
I was going to post this in my deadlift thread, but decided I'll just make another since it's squat related...

I was wondering if someone had some insight into what's going on here. For some reason lately my form is breaking down in reps that are close to maximal. Truth be told, this was probably a bit overzealous after deads Friday, but for some reason I'm not keeping a straight bar path and the bar is ending up traveling backwards a bit. I don't think the first rep was too bad, but the second you can definitely see it. I don't know if it's my back overtaking my legs or what. Help!

280 x 2

In contrast here is 270 I hit a little over 3 weeks ago which I felt was pretty solid...

Last edited:
What I see, but the camera angle might be deceptive, is that the barbell seems to be behind your mid-foot on your way up. As a result, you end up struggling not to fall backward instead of moving the load in a perpendicular path.

I went back and watched again... I almost think my hips are rising faster than my back or something. When I watched my 245 x 3 it looked like everything was firing together, but my latest maximal attempts I think I'm hitting a sticking point where my legs stop and my back tries to catch up. Idk, curious what others think.

It would help to know if you're following a specific program because usually those are designed to allow you to complete all the sessions in good form.
I am but I've altered it to fit where I'm at better (hopefully). ROFL Fortunately for me tho next week only goes up to 230 x 5 which should be relatively easy since I've already done 225 x 7 a couple weeks ago.

But seriously, what's the taboo with quads and squat?
I think it stems from equipped powerlifting, Louie Simmons, and (currently) folks like Matt Wenning.

Squat suits didn’t assist the knee opening, so less quads more hips let you load the suit more and squat more. This became “enshrined” in Simmons/Westside, which for a time dominated American powerlifting.

Then you have people like Wenning who came out of Westside and seem intent on demonizing quads and knee use cause … injury risks? Knees aren’t able to handle the weight? I’m really not sure.

Anyways, that’s the best I understand the anti-knee movement.

I think it stems from equipped powerlifting, Louie Simmons, and (currently) folks like Matt Wenning.

Squat suits didn’t assist the knee opening, so less quads more hips let you load the suit more and squat more. This became “enshrined” in Simmons/Westside, which for a time dominated American powerlifting.

Then you have people like Wenning who came out of Westside and seem intent on demonizing quads and knee use cause … injury risks? Knees aren’t able to handle the weight? I’m really not sure.

Anyways, that’s the best I understand the anti-knee movement.
I am not a powerlifter, so disclaimer: this is almost totally an outsider's perspective. The powerlifting squat is low-bar (right?), which, to me, seems like it will necessarily make you use your back/hinge a bit more. The bar being lower on your back seems to mean to me that when you go to squat, you must hinge more, or else you would fall backward. It's just perplexing to me that people will load up that position and then wonder why it becomes the proverbial "squat-morning."

I'm not saying it's wrong or anything to lift that way; I get that PL has its own techniques for its own reasons. I guess it just seems weird to put yourself in a position that sort of demands a certain kind of movement, and then wonder why you have that movement. Am I just off-base here?

Then you have people like Wenning who came out of Westside and seem intent on demonizing quads and knee use cause … injury risks? Knees aren’t able to handle the weight? I’m really not sure
Yeah the way Matt and Kevin Cann teaching the squat now is pushing the knees outside, not forward. But you need a very strong adductors for that

Back
Top Bottom