all posts post new thread

Annoying form breakdown (Squat)

Do you guys think this is low enough for low bar?
I saw a kid was calling these "French Low Bar Squats" and I just laughed. I thought there were rules about bar placement that required the bar to be no lower than the profile of the shoulder, but maybe after all these years I'm just imagining it.

Fwiw, for our little event here, I say they're fine. No way I'll be doing them, but they're fine.

I saw a kid was calling these "French Low Bar Squats" and I just laughed. I thought there were rules about bar placement that required the bar to be no lower than the profile of the shoulder, but maybe after all these years I'm just imagining it.

Fwiw, for our little event here, I say they're fine. No way I'll be doing them, but they're fine.
I think there's only a few feds you can get away with this sort of buffoonery because most won't give a lift command if the lifter isn't upright.

The kid is right. I'm not sure if there's something being planned to fix this.

I think you could still go lower than what I posted tho. Maybe the bar either resting across the glutes or just above the glutes, sort of like a variation of hi bar/low bar. Instead of a#@ to grass it could be called bar to a#@. The lifter could even use a special underhand reach around grip to grip the bar of course. I'm pretty sure whoever would be using said method would already have good reach around technique.

I'll just post this here so I don't clog up the other thread... Any opinions on my elbows here? I don't think I can comfortably get my elbows under the bar much more. This is thumbless grip btw. Also trying to tuck my neck. :D

Last edited:
Just try to get your elbows lower every time you squat, just on the edge of being uncomfortable. In addition, do some shoulder rotation work with resistance bands or such. It's all up to you to work on it. It may take some time, who knows how fast you can fix it.

Just try to get your elbows lower every time you squat, just on the edge of being uncomfortable. In addition, do some shoulder rotation work with resistance bands or such. It's all up to you to work on it. It may take some time, who knows how fast you can fix it.
I do dislocates with a broom handle all the time, shouldn't that be enough? Or do you think there's better exercises for low bar elbow position? Maybe I still just haven't gotten the technique quite dialed in. Idk lol

I do dislocates with a broom handle all the time, shouldn't that be enough? Or do you think there's better exercises for low bar elbow position? Maybe I still just haven't gotten the technique quite dialed in. Idk lol

Well, I would expect you to see if it's enough or not if you do it all the time. Does it work? Are you getting noticeably better? Simple questions with simple answers.

Well, I would expect you to see if it's enough or not if you do it all the time. Does it work? Are you getting noticeably better? Simple questions with simple answers.
I have no idea because I literally just started trying low bar. Lol

* Edit... It seems like I can get my elbows under just fine if I practice with a broom handle, so I must still not be setting up quite optimally. I think part of it might be that I don't have huge rear delts and I'm afraid of the bar slipping off so I'm sort of keeping my elbows up.

Last edited:
I have no idea because I literally just started trying low bar. Lol

* Edit... It seems like I can get my elbows under just fine if I practice with a broom handle, so I must still not be setting up quite optimally. I think part of it might be that I don't have huge rear delts and I'm afraid of the bar slipping off so I'm sort of keeping my elbows up.
I thought your squats looked pretty good. What exactly are you concerned about, technically?

I thought your squats looked pretty good. What exactly are you concerned about, technically?
Just making sure I'm not flaring my elbows... I thought they seem to be not under the bar as much as some of the vids I've watched, but it's also possible that I'm just online overthinking things. ROFL

Just making sure I'm not flaring my elbows... I thought they seem to be not under the bar as much as some of the vids I've watched, but it's also possible that I'm just online overthinking things. ROFL
Do your elbows or shoulder hurt from what you are currently doing?

If you are intent on elbows less up,
1. Don't drive them up. You can watch your video and see how you get under the bar with elbows in a pretty good position (0:07-0:09) and then when you actually stand up with the bar, you drive them up (0:12).
2. Consider narrowing your grip, if possible. This may not be possible - I can't get too narrow of a grip due to my shoulders and it starts making other things hurt.

Do your elbows or shoulder hurt from what you are currently doing?

If you are intent on elbows less up,
1. Don't drive them up. You can watch your video and see how you get under the bar with elbows in a pretty good position (0:07-0:09) and then when you actually stand up with the bar, you drive them up (0:12).
2. Consider narrowing your grip, if possible. This may not be possible - I can't get too narrow of a grip due to my shoulders and it starts making other things hurt.
Nah my my elbows don't hurt but my left shoulder has been complaining lately and is definitely letting me know if I don't have the bar positioned just right. Either way I noticed the same thing... It looked like my elbows were in an optimal position and then went up right when I unracked. lol Oh well, more things to work on next week. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom