all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Anyone else use Gaffer's tape to wrap their KB handle?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Brian B

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello! After trying chalk and finding it too messy for inside use, and a variety of different gloves I found my perfect KB grip solution. Gaffer's tape! It is made out of a fine weave strong cloth and the adhesive is designed to pull off cleanly without damaging surfaces or leaving adhesive behind. It is strong enough to hold cables in place but not to hold tenaciously like Gorilla or 100 mph tape. It's like supercharged blue masking tape that pulls cleanly off expensive electronics.

It gives me a comfortable layer of cloth between my hand and the KB but the KB wears it instead of me! Sweaty hands don't slip and the fine cloth weave lets the bell swing smoothly and comfortably. I just tear off about a foot and start wrapping the KB handle from the middle out and down one side. Takes about four pieces per application. So one roll is enough for about forty applications. That's $0.50 per application with top quality tape. $0.32 for budget. I get about three months out of each wrap before the edges fray and it's time to remove and replace it.

I originally had to get the tape to use on cameras so I researched it to find the best one. Shuretape was the consensus winner, Since that's what I had that is what I have been using and have been happy with it. Comes in black white or grey. Amazon product ASIN B000QDZRZE,

The next time I need to refresh the bells I'm going to save the Shuretape for electronics and try a cheaper but well reviewed tape for wrapping the bells. This one comes in: red, white, blue, black, grey, and yellow. I am going to do a red wrap the make the bell more visible when it's out in a possible toe stubbing location. I haven't tried this one but I expect it to work just as well as the Shuretape. Amazon product ASIN B07WZXC7JR.

The 2" tape has been easy to wrap and get to fit smooth on the curves of the handle. It also comes in 1" and 3" widths and even neon colors!

Has anyone else tried tape as a grip? If so what was your experience?

Cheers,
Brian B

I have no affiliation with any company that I linked to.

Gaffers tape is great! For taping things.
I like my KB handles smooth so that they can easily rotate in my hand. Grip is never an issue (for me)

Gaffers tape is great! For taping things.
I like my KB handles smooth so that they can easily rotate in my hand. Grip is never an issue (for me)
Are you using competition style bells with chrome handles or textured finished regular bells? I'm using it on textured finish bells that are very grippy with all their little peaks and valleys. I can pack those valleys full of chalk to get a smoother surface to rotate in my grip but the surface of the gaffer's tape is even smoother than chalked handle. No heat from friction on the hands at all and not slippery when sweaty.

Are you using competition style bells with chrome handles or textured finished regular bells? I'm using it on textured finish bells that are very grippy with all their little peaks and valleys. I can pack those valleys full of chalk to get a smoother surface to rotate in my grip but the surface of the gaffer's tape is even smoother than chalked handle. No heat from friction on the hands at all and not slippery when sweaty.
Regular non-comp bells
No chalk.

I appreciate the thoroughness of the post. I agree with @offwidth. I need my handles to be as smooth as possible to facilitate rotation especially for snatching. I always think about Pavel swinging bells in oven mitts covered in dish soap ?. I'm sure you've seen it elsewhere but don't accept hand damage from the "over gripping" which creates the high friction and hand wear. Go for the loose hook grip and treat your calluses.

I appreciate the thoroughness of the post. I agree with @offwidth. I need my handles to be as smooth as possible to facilitate rotation especially for snatching. I always think about Pavel swinging bells in oven mitts covered in dish soap ?. I'm sure you've seen it elsewhere but don't accept hand damage from the "over gripping" which creates the high friction and hand wear. Go for the loose hook grip and treat your calluses.
Right! With a proper hook grip, one doesn’t need a death grip on the handles. It can be a surprisingly light grip.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom