all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Applying S&S to Judo

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
I figure I should leave this note here.

I was too busy to go to judo for 6 months, but instead I followed the Simple and Sinister programme at home and had mostly achieved the "simple" goals when I was invited out to the last judo class before the club was going to close. Due to my weight lifting training according to S&S, I was able to pull off techniques in the judo fights that I had only seen before in books or in videos, and I was so much stronger than the others that I was most definitely in control of every match every time. This is in contrast to before starting S&S when I was NOT in control and was generally the victim or could merely "hold my own" with the other advanced players. By the way, I had tried a few other weightlifting systems before, and they did increase (in particular) my stamina and endurance for judo, but not much my skill nor my ability to control the match.

I had the same experience with BJJ. My rolling cardio was great and pulling sweeps was much easier with the added strength in the hips and back side. Now all I have to do is get good at bjj, yup that's all I have to do. One day I guess. Lol.

Our judo club does a lot of groundwork, and I was indeed pulling off lots of sweeps that I had only seen in BJJ books before because of my newfound strength.

BJJ is excellent stuff! Glad to hear you're into it! One thing I like about it in particular is how you progress strategically through positions as opposed to a "one shot kill" approach. It's like chess, but better by far.

Master Lakatos is training Judokas from our cert i remember :

- bench /floor press 48kg (As a goal )
- bodyweight on one legged deadlift
- swings.
- focus on strength /power not conditioning :)

just some tips i know the topic is different

That's awesome! What bell are you comfortable with on the TGU?
Also do you think the rotational training of the TGU improved your throws?

That's awesome! What bell are you comfortable with on the TGU?
Also do you think the rotational training of the TGU improved your throws?
I use 32kg for the TGU and also for the swings. The swings I was mainly still doing two handed at the time.

The S&S programme seemed like something made in heaven for judo throws, standing fighting and also for the groundwork (newaza) component as well, which resembles BJJ closely (actually, many members train in both sports). The TGU and swings combination in my weight training made my throws utterly amazing and also my groundwork. I was in control the whole time. I was a regional level competitor who did his duty in his time. I am not national level nor international level (although I did actually do alright in a few quasi-international friendship type tourneys). Anyhow, with the limited experience I've had over the past 30 years, I'd say that the S&S programme improved my judo 400% and I am not at all kidding in any way. In other words I think it is 4 times as important as all the techniques and randori (free fighting) I ever learnt. That's just what I think. I'd love to hear other opinions.

If you look at the Turkish getup, it is comprised of about 6 or 7 separate weight lifting movements. I start it off with a press from the ground without the help of my left hand, thus getting a press into the exercise, which some have remarked the exercise lacks. I also wrestle the bell over my midsection to switch sides, and this is a helpful exercise for groundfighting as it resembles fighting from the bottom in guard position. These are two tweaks I've done to the movement, which I can't suggest for anyone else as they're not part of the official movement that's time tested.

Anyhow, S&S made me about four times stronger than I need to be for judo, which is very nice!

I know it's hard to describe something that's muscle memory but are there any specific movement patterns from the TGU that you can "feel" when you execute a throw (a seo nagi for example).

For example when I throw a heavy object I can feel my abs contract similarly to the way they do when you roll up onto your elbow in the TGU.

Thanks!

I know it's hard to describe something that's muscle memory but are there any specific movement patterns from the TGU that you can "feel" when you execute a throw (a seo nagi for example).

For example when I throw a heavy object I can feel my abs contract similarly to the way they do when you roll up onto your elbow in the TGU.

Thanks!
As you know, keeping pressure upwards, lifting your opponent under his shoulder is important for seoinage. This feeling is reproduced nicely in the final stages of the TGU. The TGU gave me strength for this that I never managed to develop through uchikomi. The few stages leading up to the last bit in the TGU also resemble the slight crouching and lunging movements needed to enter into a throw while keeping the pressure on your opponent's gi and arm. So, yes, it's all terrifically similar. I'd say the TGU resembles all the uchikomi of most throws, and the swing resembles the actual throwing motion itself. The ground portion of the TGU resembles the sweeps and groundhold escapes used on the ground. Is this too broad a description?

Judoka would get much more out of S&S kettlebell training than solo uchikomi practice with bungee cords, I think.

Thanks for the awesome description! I knew the TGU had a lot of benefit for ground fighting but I wasn't sure about the carry over to standing techniques. I've heard that Dan John uses partial TGUs to train his track and field throwers but I've never read anything this specific.

Anyway you should totally record how you feel as you move up in bell sizes. I bet if you mastered the beast you'd probably be unstoppable!

Thanks for the awesome description! I knew the TGU had a lot of benefit for ground fighting but I wasn't sure about the carry over to standing techniques. I've heard that Dan John uses partial TGUs to train his track and field throwers but I've never read anything this specific.

Anyway you should totally record how you feel as you move up in bell sizes. I bet if you mastered the beast you'd probably be unstoppable!
I was more than unstoppable with only the 32kg under my belt. I've bought a 40kg which I'll work towards eventually. I like to have things ready for me and in front of me to inspire me.

I'm collecting other wisdom from Strongfirst on the forums here and through buying their books. I believe that weightlifting well virtually guarantees a long and healthy life. I want to know I'll live to 85.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom