all posts post new thread

Kettlebell avoiding quad mass during KB swings

Well, on top of the previous post - it's pretty hard to achieve hypertrophy with ballistics. Otherwise everyone would be jacked.
More to that, I hardly have any quads from squatting for a couple of years.

I love swings & need quads. If we can figure this out, it'd be great.
I humbly submit, for your consideration, Glycolytic Power repeats for hypertrophy via swings.

Conclusion
Here is my finalized recommendation.​
Swings and explosive Pushups ( or other quick lifts )​
10 minutes between repeats of each exercise. overall, one set every 5 minutes.​
8-12 weeks.​
2 days per week, a heavy day and a light day.​
Proposed Hypertrophy Cycle
Week​
Light​
Heavy​
1​
15/2​
15/2​
2​
15/2​
15/3​
3​
15/2​
15/4​
4​
15/2​
15/5​
5​
15/2​
15/6​
6​
20/2​
20/2​
7​
20/2​
20/3​
8​
20/2​
20/4​
Notes:​
  • Repeat week 8 for 4 weeks or more.
  • Substitute 15/2 if you are feeling down.
  • Upgrade your heavy day to 20/5 if you are feeling powerful.
  • Introduce a heavier bell +4~8kg on a light day, to get a taste of the higher intensity.
  • After 12 or more weeks consider starting again with a heavier bell altogether. +4~8kg
  • Move on to other training when you are ready.

Many years ago when I first started doing A+A swings, I noticed something that would greatly affect my heart rate.

That is, the amount and duration of muscle contraction (tight quads, specifically) at the top of the swing in the standing plank.

When you do swings, once you arrive in the standing plank, you can actually sort of relax there while the kettlebell floats. Or, you can stay tight for that second or so. You can actually stay REALLY tight, if you try. Which do you do? Are your kneecaps pulled up while the kettlebell is floating? Neither way is right is wrong, but I suspect that over hundreds, thousands, and tens of thousands of reps, it makes a difference. I saw it make a difference in my heart rate. I don't know how you might research or measure it, but I would surmise it would probably make a difference in the hypertrophy stimulus.

Add: Swing video, tight quads

I humbly submit, for your consideration, Glycolytic Power repeats for hypertrophy via swings.

Conclusion
Here is my finalized recommendation.​
Swings and explosive Pushups ( or other quick lifts )​
10 minutes between repeats of each exercise. overall, one set every 5 minutes.​
8-12 weeks.​
2 days per week, a heavy day and a light day.​
Proposed Hypertrophy Cycle
Week​
Light​
Heavy​
1​
15/2​
15/2​
2​
15/2​
15/3​
3​
15/2​
15/4​
4​
15/2​
15/5​
5​
15/2​
15/6​
6​
20/2​
20/2​
7​
20/2​
20/3​
8​
20/2​
20/4​
Notes:​
  • Repeat week 8 for 4 weeks or more.
  • Substitute 15/2 if you are feeling down.
  • Upgrade your heavy day to 20/5 if you are feeling powerful.
  • Introduce a heavier bell +4~8kg on a light day, to get a taste of the higher intensity.
  • After 12 or more weeks consider starting again with a heavier bell altogether. +4~8kg
  • Move on to other training when you are ready.
I love the idea but am skeptical there'd be quad mass. I'm thinly built with "soccer legs" that are muscular but still thin. I can swing the Beast (~2/3 body weight) for over 20 snappy reps, previously worked up to double bodyweight squat & in Dan John's Mass Made Simple got to over BW squat for a single set of 50 reps. Still thin quads. Its not my main goal so I'm not going to sell the farm to get there, I'm just saying it'd be a nice side effect of swings that I haven't seen.

Hello all,
Is there any way to avoid working the quad during the KB swing?
I don't want bigger quads and find that the swing is adding mass to my quad.
I notice that most KB swing tutorials advise bending at the knees a lot....ends up being a cross between a hinge and a squat.
can I do swings with a minimal knee bend?
(I eat for mass for the rest of my body so eating less isnt the way I want to go about it.)
A swing should be a dynamic RDL, basically.

I am just wondering if I can avoid working that quad on swing
Back to this, after re-reading through the thread: you can't really not work the quads at all, as your knees will bend to some degree. That said, I think it might be possible that someone is not using certain muscle groups well enough, or otherwise focusing on contracting some groups more than others. I still have my doubts that it really is the swing making your quads grow, but if for some reason you are using your quads too much during your swings, I suppose it could be a contributing factor.

As @Antti pointed out:
When it comes to quad use, I want to see the knee travel well forward and the hips to clearly descend. Neither of those are something I try to do in a swing. I flex the hips, I extend the hips.
+1
A squat has the hips travel mostly vertically, which means the knees have to bend a lot more. A hinge has the hips travel more horizontally, and the knees bend less (@Anna C 's slow-mo video is great to see this). Obviously the degree to which you must bend your knees is going to vary depending on body proportions.

You wouldn't expect a conventional deadlift to be a "quad exercise," so neither should the swing.

@Abishai , I might suggest re-examining your hinge if you feel your quads working a lot in your swing.

If you would like, try these drills to see if you are compensating for a hinge with excessive knee movement. The idea with these is not to move a lot of weight, but to get the hips moving better. Think of them as warmup or mobility drills. They can help with learning to time knee and hip extension better by preventing the knee from moving in place of the hip. If these don't jive with you, then I am sure other members and coaches have lots of other things to try.

I love swings & need quads. If we can figure this out, it'd be great.
It ain't going to be a squat effect and I wouldn't use it to address quads being a weak point... But you can adjust the swing to be more quad dominate.

Here is the latest SF article addressing it.

Spreading the Load for Assessment​

Training for the Sinister Challenge taught me how soreness and local fatigue can be used as movement assessment. After I completed my first failed attempt (reaching 97 of 100 swings) my hamstrings were severely sore. After watching my video, Pavel Macek, StrongFirst Certified Master Instructor, told me that I was putting too much strain on the back of my legs and recommended I change my technique slightly. He wanted me to bend my knees a little more, just enough to distribute some of the load from my hamstrings to my quads. The improvement was immediate and during the following training sessions, not only did my hamstrings not fatigue as fast, but engaging my quads added additional power to my swings. Through this, I learned an important lesson: during compound movements, excessive soreness or the local fatigue of a single muscle after training can be a sign of overuse and improper distribution of the load throughout the body. An awareness of this can supply valuable feedback, indicating where your technique is lacking, and provide an opportunity to improve the performance and execution of the specific exercise.

long femurs short legs
I have a similar problem. I can't sit in most chairs because they are "too deep" and I round my back. I'm 66" / 167cm tall, but my "wingspan" is about 69" / 176cm. And when I sit with people like in a restauraunt or something the 6ft tall friends are similar height or even shorter sitting next to me.

I say all that because I learned I had to adjust my swing. I worked with a SFG in person and he started having me sit a little deeper and back in the backswing. I had low back issues in my lumbar. I wasn't exactly "tippy-bird", according to him, but he said that he thought that was contributing to some of the strain. I've also herniated a couple discs many years ago back squatting. Since doing that far less low back issues, but I can definitely feel it work my quads more. So, keep that in mind if you try to adjust your swing. I think us "short femur" guys are stuck with thicker thighs.

So, aside from goblet squats with my 32KG (or sometimes lighter) and the occasional set of DFSQ with my 32 and 24 I never squat, yet still have "thunder" thighs. For the longest time before I was thirty getting pants was just obnoxious. Back when I was a kid and did more gymnastics work I had 25'ish inch thighs and a 29 inch waist. Not sure what my thighs measure now but they have thinned some and the waist is more like 33 inches. LOL

I think us "short femur" guys are stuck with thicker thighs.
Huh, that’s something I hadn’t thought of! It makes sense though. People with longer limbs generally appear to have smaller muscles, just because of proportions. Every shorter and stronger person I’ve met looks more muscular, even if they are comparably strong to someone significantly taller, if that makes sense.

@Nate are you on the taller or lankier side…? Don’t know if you said…now I am curious

Huh, that’s something I hadn’t thought of! It makes sense though. People with longer limbs generally appear to have smaller muscles, just because of proportions. Every shorter and stronger person I’ve met looks more muscular, even if they are comparably strong to someone significantly taller, if that makes sense.

@Nate are you on the taller or lankier side…? Don’t know if you said…now I am curious
I am 5'7 170 approx. 10% bf and I often get told that I look at least 200lbs.
Calithstenics also tends to give a stockier figure because of large lats and minimal shoulder emphasis as opposed to weightlifting.

I have a similar problem. I can't sit in most chairs because they are "too deep" and I round my back. I'm 66" / 167cm tall, but my "wingspan" is about 69" / 176cm. And when I sit with people like in a restauraunt or something the 6ft tall friends are similar height or even shorter sitting next to me.

I say all that because I learned I had to adjust my swing. I worked with a SFG in person and he started having me sit a little deeper and back in the backswing. I had low back issues in my lumbar. I wasn't exactly "tippy-bird", according to him, but he said that he thought that was contributing to some of the strain. I've also herniated a couple discs many years ago back squatting. Since doing that far less low back issues, but I can definitely feel it work my quads more. So, keep that in mind if you try to adjust your swing. I think us "short femur" guys are stuck with thicker thighs.

So, aside from goblet squats with my 32KG (or sometimes lighter) and the occasional set of DFSQ with my 32 and 24 I never squat, yet still have "thunder" thighs. For the longest time before I was thirty getting pants was just obnoxious. Back when I was a kid and did more gymnastics work I had 25'ish inch thighs and a 29 inch waist. Not sure what my thighs measure now but they have thinned some and the waist is more like 33 inches. LOL
buying pants for me is hell and jackets are paradise.
Part of the problem is that my thighs develop more than my tiny calves....

Man, what kinda precision measurements are you making on your quads over there. I'm over here pounding 3500 kcal/day squatting multiple times/week and barely notice my quads growing.

I think we can help you more if we see your swing. Video?
this is the first time i videoed my swing and as i look at it I realize that I am probably about to make an utter fool of myself due to my mobility restrictions and general lack of athletic ability...
Man, what kinda precision measurements are you making on your quads over there. I'm over here pounding 3500 kcal/day squatting multiple times/week and barely notice my quads growing.
they are not very large but they are out of proportion to my legs.....not very asthetic looking

Back
Top Bottom