all posts post new thread

Kettlebell avoiding quad mass during KB swings

this is the first time i videoed my swing and as i look at it I realize that I am probably about to make an utter fool of myself due to my mobility restrictions and general lack of athletic ability...

they are not very large but they are out of proportion to my legs.....not very asthetic looking
No shame here, and getting it looked at and getting help is a good idea.

Maybe I’m confusing you with someone else, but aren’t you also a personal trainer?

No shame here, and getting it looked at and getting help is a good idea.

Maybe I’m confusing you with someone else, but aren’t you also a personal trainer?
I am trying to upload the video and am having trouble.
I train others more as a hobby but my mobility issues stem from being a bodyweight devotee (no hip-hinge movements) and congenital hip issues.
I am trying to incorporate Hip Hinge into my training because I am realizing that Bodyweight training is leaving a huge hole in my strength because there is no hinging.
Quite humbling to be able to do HSPU.,One arm pushups, and pullups but not have a great hinge pattern.

Last edited:
buying pants for me is hell and jackets are paradise.
Part of the problem is that my thighs develop more than my tiny calves....
Sounds like you're just self conscious bro. A lot of people would love to have more quad definition. I'm no kettlebell expert but I'd suggest not worrying about it. Easier said than done maybe but from what limited knowledge I have, kettlebell swings aren't going to give you monster quads. Lol

I'm about 5' 7" myself.

I did Simple & Sinister for about 6-8 months - don't remember the exact time - and as most here know this program is all about swings and TGU. My progress with the TGU wasn't so great but I did progress to multiple sets of 10 rep 2-arm swings with the 32kg KB, while trying to progress beyond 24kg on the 1-arm swings.

I did not notice much change in the size of my quads. I didn't make any changes in my diet to either favor muscle growth or prevent it.

Seems like most established programming I've seen for making your quads get bigger involve squatting more than swinging but I haven't looked too deeply into that.

Huh, that’s something I hadn’t thought of! It makes sense though. People with longer limbs generally appear to have smaller muscles, just because of proportions. Every shorter and stronger person I’ve met looks more muscular, even if they are comparably strong to someone significantly taller, if that makes sense.

@Nate are you on the taller or lankier side…? Don’t know if you said…now I am curious
Yes
Huh, that’s something I hadn’t thought of! It makes sense though. People with longer limbs generally appear to have smaller muscles, just because of proportions. Every shorter and stronger person I’ve met looks more muscular, even if they are comparably strong to someone significantly taller, if that makes sense.

@Nate are you on the taller or lankier side…? Don’t know if you said…now I am curious
Yes, 6 foot 175 pounds @ 48 years old. My quads are definitely not getting in my way...Screenshot_20240313-203831_Facebook.jpg

I am trying to incorporate Hip Hinge into my training because I am realizing that Bodyweight training is leaving a huge hole in my strength because there is no hinging.
I am mostly a calisthenics guy too. The only "hole" I see in calisthenics is that there is no deadlift. But if you are training your back, and training your hips (see below) then I think you are fine.

One thing to consider is that if you are interested in calisthenics and you feel good.....then why care so much about a hinge? If you can do pistols for reps, jumping, lunges, etc, and you can lift what you need in day-to-day life, then who cares? Imo the supposed negative effects of "strength imbalances" are wildly exaggerated. On this note, another thing to consider is that you can do your hinge work like once or twice a week and that can be enough. I want a 90 degree pushup some day, so I don't want huge legs either. So I just train squats with low reps and high weight.

So if you want a strong hinge/legs, look into the low rep, lower frequency version of Easy Strength. That is, do very high weight, for 2-3 sets of 2-3 reps, 2-3 times a week, MAX. You can build strength but you certainly won't build a lot a muscle. Just because kettlebells are popular here doesn't mean you have to do swings all the time. If you like them, then try what was suggested and let's see if we can make them work better for what you want.

If you are worried about your back specifically, do back lever training, any kind of planche training (bent arm planches require the back to isometrically contract as well), reverse hypers off a block (see below), and do arch rocks. Then do the hinge drills I posted, and the one below.

Seriously, try those drills I posted. Then try the kickstand hinge. They will teach you how to hinge at the hips better. I never felt my glutes and hamstrings working so hard with just body weight. Try each for three sets of ten. You will feel it. I did three sets of ten for the first time and I had a hard time walking the next day. Between the kickstand hinge, hindu squats, and some low rep front squats and deadlifts, I am plenty happy with leg and hinge training.

This demo has pretty good cues. You can also check out David Grey's info on the kickstand hinge (search "David Grey rehab" on instagram/interwebs). He has awesome content.

Yes

Yes, 6 foot 175 pounds @ 48 years old. My quads are definitely not getting in my way...
We are about the same weight but you are at least twice as strong haha. Do you want bigger legs? Have you tried different variations of squats and lunges? Back squat vs front squat, etc?

Clearly pulling sumo robbed you of all your gainz. ;)
I've pulled conventional, sumo & trap bar. Squatted front and back, SSB & hack. With enough volume and force feeding, I'm sure they'd grow but at this point, meh, I've quit worrying about it. I'm built the way I'm built... thanks though! Screenshot_20240313-214450_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20240313-212552_Instagram.jpg

I've pulled conventional, sumo & trap bar. Squatted front and back, SSB & hack. With enough volume and force feeding, I'm sure they'd grow but at this point, meh, I've quit worrying about it. I'm built the way I'm built... thanks though! View attachment 24255View attachment 24256
Just was making a sumo joke, wasn't actually trying to say that's why your quads don't grow. Like you said, enough force feeding and work and you'd grow. Great looking lifts! :)

O
Just was making a sumo joke, wasn't actually trying to say that's why your quads don't grow. Like you said, enough force feeding and work and you'd grow. Great looking lifts! :)
I get it. I was just joking about wanting quads from swings & didnt want people to think this was a serious problem for me that needed a solution. I've done work it's just Im only willing to go so far when it's not a real priority for me. ;)

Just out of curiosity, why don't you want bigger quads? I've literally never heard anyone try to avoid this so I gotta ask!
I can relate to that.

Since lifting is not my main activity (martial arts, trail running, mountain biking and bouldering are), I tend to avoid hypertrophy as well.

I am mostly a calisthenics guy too. The only "hole" I see in calisthenics is that there is no deadlift. But if you are training your back, and training your hips (see below) then I think you are fine.

One thing to consider is that if you are interested in calisthenics and you feel good.....then why care so much about a hinge? If you can do pistols for reps, jumping, lunges, etc, and you can lift what you need in day-to-day life, then who cares? Imo the supposed negative effects of "strength imbalances" are wildly exaggerated. On this note, another thing to consider is that you can do your hinge work like once or twice a week and that can be enough. I want a 90 degree pushup some day, so I don't want huge legs either. So I just train squats with low reps and high weight.

So if you want a strong hinge/legs, look into the low rep, lower frequency version of Easy Strength. That is, do very high weight, for 2-3 sets of 2-3 reps, 2-3 times a week, MAX. You can build strength but you certainly won't build a lot a muscle. Just because kettlebells are popular here doesn't mean you have to do swings all the time. If you like them, then try what was suggested and let's see if we can make them work better for what you want.

If you are worried about your back specifically, do back lever training, any kind of planche training (bent arm planches require the back to isometrically contract as well), reverse hypers off a block (see below), and do arch rocks. Then do the hinge drills I posted, and the one below.

Seriously, try those drills I posted. Then try the kickstand hinge. They will teach you how to hinge at the hips better. I never felt my glutes and hamstrings working so hard with just body weight. Try each for three sets of ten. You will feel it. I did three sets of ten for the first time and I had a hard time walking the next day. Between the kickstand hinge, hindu squats, and some low rep front squats and deadlifts, I am plenty happy with leg and hinge training.

This demo has pretty good cues. You can also check out David Grey's info on the kickstand hinge (search "David Grey rehab" on instagram/interwebs). He has awesome content.

Gold! thanks!
any experience with nordic curls?

Gold! thanks!
any experience with nordic curls?
Just a little. I trained them a bit years ago now. I think they are highly overhyped, but if you have a way to do them safely (ie good support for the ankles, or a spotter) they can be good. The best cue I've seen for them is to not overextend the back. It's better to just allow a little hip flexion and make the hamstrings work harder than it is to fall into the habit of making it more of a lower back exercise.

In general, I think that if you like an exercise, then you will do it more, which is generally a benefit. Turkish getups are popular here, but they don't jive with me. I have my own needs for what makes my shoulders feel and work better, and for whatever reason, TGUs don't do that for me. So I use what works.

Back
Top Bottom