all posts post new thread

Kettlebell AXE Training Thread

Question: Are folks adding pure aerobic work to their AXE sessions — ie. AXE session then running/rucking/cycling at steady state? Are they doing this on other days of the week?

Discussion: I feel like something is missing if you just do, AXE swings or snatches without adding in some zone 2 “cardio” work to build the aerobic system.

With one hand swings I think adding the single rep is worth exploring.
Have you tried H2H swings ? I like them much more than expected.
I have not tried H2H swings here, although as you might expect, I've certainly done them.

-S-

Question: Are folks adding pure aerobic work to their AXE sessions — ie. AXE session then running/rucking/cycling at steady state? Are they doing this on other days of the week?
I have always been a regular walker. I'm not connecting walking sessions with AXE, just doing each as it happens to occur in my schedule.

-S-

I'm curious to know if how many others, if any, have found the transition from 4's to 6's a big jump and used 5's instead.

I ask because I've found my average HR with 4's is only in the middle of my Zone 2, but with 6's it's been in the middle of Zone 4. After a couple of sessions of 6's, I just went back to 4's for 30 minutes and again it felt great but yielded an average HR of 114 and my max is at least 179. I am aiming for an average around 10 bpm higher or around the Zone 2-3 border. With 6's, at least the 2 or 3 sessions I've tried so far, my HR basically doesn't recover - it's doesn't go up much, either, just kind of flat-lines.

The weight is 32 kg and I'm 70 kg. My current plan is to try 5's next time to see how that goes. I suppose another option would be to alternate 4's and 6's. I am using 1-hand swings.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

-S-
I have before and it works well... I have also found going to the 40min mark with 4s makes 6s more bearable as well

Discussion: I feel like something is missing if you just do, AXE swings or snatches without adding in some zone 2 “cardio” work to build the aerobic system.
I’m using the Novocaine template, so I do have LISS on non-KB days. Since adding LISS back into the rotation, KB days have felt easier.

I suppose I do the opposite. I do a fair amount of LED locomotive endurance work. I throw in an AXE session once in a while on rest days…

I do Step Ups (roughly Zone 2, but not really steady state) the day after AXE type training, 2x per week + additional easy cycling (commuting mostly).

I have been interested in how my musculature feels unscathed at 6 rep sets with the 32kg bell. Each set feels easy. But the session feels a little tough.

The source of RPE scoring at this point is entirely perceived a heart lungs cardio sensation. Although there may be peripheral adaptations at the muscles to improve that situation.
It is strange. If I don't remember to deeply inhale and exhale completely after sets I can easily get that side cramp I got when trying to run in high school, especially with jerks.

I do find that doing 30-35min Zone 2 walks(@340lbs I just have to walk a little fast to get there) helps with my intra set recovery, for sure. Since I am so heavy and I'm in a caloric deficit I'm finding I need to watch how often I go for these walks as I adjust to longer AXE sessions, doing AXE 1h swings and jerks.

So, today was Test day, and I made it to the 30-set limit for 6 reps sets with the 32kg bell.

1712001186233.png

I'll now work on this step load till it's time for a test with the 40kg bell with 2 rep sets

Below is the chart of difficulty ratings I've been keeping on this chart. aside from a couple of outliers, there seems to be a biphasic adaptation during each step load. It looks like there's a primary faster amount of strength acquisition and a slower adaptation to the total workload. these second Phase adaptations seem to be "cardio-related" somehow.

1712001235002.png
technically the longest step load (So far) is about 8 weeks. (which suffered a 2-month interruption)

AXE training has been very predictably profitable.

We'll see how the 40kg bell goes; I'm sure.
It seems inevitable that I'll be able to adopt the heavier and heavier bells as I go. At least, so far.

Last edited:
So, today was Test day, and I made it to the 30-set limit for 6 reps sets with the 32kg bell.

View attachment 24453

I'll now work on this step load till it's time for a test with the 40kg bell with 2 rep sets

Below is the chart of difficulty ratings I've been keeping on this chart. aside from a couple of outliers, there seems to be a biphasic adaptation during each step load. It looks like there's a primary faster amount of strength acquisition and a slower adaptation to the total workload. these second Phase adaptations seem to be "cardio-related" somehow.

View attachment 24454
technically the longest step load (So far) is about 8 weeks. (which suffered a 2-month interruption)

AXE training has been very predictably profitable.

We'll see how the 40kg bell goes; I'm sure.
It seems inevitable that I'll be able to adopt the heavier and heavier bells as I go. At least, so far.
1712002440106.png

I dove head first into AXE this week, after 16 weeks of Iron Cardio (started with a 20kg bell and ended with a 28kg). I've been looking forward to running AXE to focus more on ballistic movement. The book is packed with great information that helped me understand AXE/A+A style of training. I'm looking forward to working on my power and endurance. I train Muay Thai 2-3 days a week, and planning on running AXE 2/3 days (if recovery allows). I'd also like to run a 20-minute session of IC 1-2 days a week (again if recovery allows). But I'll see how my body feels as I go through AXE.

I'm starting with H2H swings with a 28kg bell as that's the heaviest I own. Feels like the right weight to start with for swings. First session was on Tuesday and I stopped at 18 sets. My second session was on Thursday and I got to 4/16, it was interesting because at set 15 I started to question my form and whether I should keep going. Then set 16 came around and it was clear that was a stopping point for the day. I'm planning on spending some time with the swing to get used to the program then in a few weeks try a session with the snatch with a lower weight.

I do sumo squats with a ruck and kb, then ruck pushups, then one arm rows with KB. I do strength training this way, 5 reps 5 sets 3-5 mins rest.

I’d like to add axe at the end for 20 mins. Is this too much? Will it compromise axe benefits?

I do this twice a week and ruck twice a week.

I do sumo squats with a ruck and kb, then ruck pushups, then one arm rows with KB. I do strength training this way, 5 reps 5 sets 3-5 mins rest.

I’d like to add axe at the end for 20 mins. Is this too much? Will it compromise axe benefits?

I do this twice a week and ruck twice a week.
I don't know.

From my personal experience, AXE works better after days on which I walk than it does after strength training. You might consider trying both options.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom