all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Ballistics position in a workout.

Whey

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi!
I'm currently preparing for the SFG1 and I'm practicing in order to increase weight on the skills just to feel those lighter during the certification days.

My question is, where would you position the snatch? I'm currently using an HML program (100 reps with different timings during the 3 days) for the snatch and I'm practicing my snatch as first exercise but after those I feel less strong on the rest of the skills (still I lift more weight than I'm supposed to lift during the certification). What would you suggest? Thank you for the feedback.

P.s. At the moment and I'm in a low calories diet

Hi!
I'm currently preparing for the SFG1 and I'm practicing in order to increase weight on the skills just to feel those lighter during the certification days.

My question is, where would you position the snatch? I'm currently using an HML program (100 reps with different timings during the 3 days) for the snatch and I'm practicing my snatch as first exercise but after those I feel less strong on the rest of the skills (still I lift more weight than I'm supposed to lift during the certification). What would you suggest? Thank you for the feedback.

What worked for me pretty well was just taking your snatch size bell and doing a short practice session in the morning. I would just do 2-3 reps, film myself. And do about 20 reps total like that. Send a video of it to my coach and see if he saw anything that needed corrected. But nothing real crazy for practicing technique.

Hi!

What’s the focus, snatch test prep or skills prep? Priority - goes first.

Alternatively, power before strength, strength before conditioning.

What’s the focus, snatch test prep or skills prep? Priority - goes first.

Alternatively, power before strength, strength before conditioning
The focus is the test preparation. I'm thinking about positioning the Heavy day snatch as first exercise since I snatch 100 times (10 sets x5/5 reps) timeless. The M and L day I can snatch as last since I snatch OTM after all the grinds. Does it makes any sense?

When I was prepping for my SFG1 I alternated ballistic days and grind days. Worked well for me. Good luck.
I was used to train like that but I can't train 4 times anymore and with 3 workout days i tought about mixing ballistics and grinds

What worked for me pretty well was just taking your snatch size bell and doing a short practice session in the morning. I would just do 2-3 reps, film myself. And do about 20 reps total like that. Send a video of it to my coach and see if he saw anything that needed corrected. But nothing real crazy for practicing technique.
My coach says my execution are certification worthy but still I want to improve my weights in order to feel the certification day easier so I just want to get stronger. I could do the same but unluckly I don't really have a routine since my job is on shifts. :(

i like the idea a lot but i'm not sure i can train 6 times a week. How did u do it?
Train 6 days a week ROFL

But I would suggest you would just do the next session every time you are going to train.

I´m nowhere near your level but I figured ballistics before grinds. Probably in line with what @John K wrote. One of my days involves half snatches and TGU-Split Squat. I´ve done the TGUs just one time before my half snatches and lost a lot of focus, technique and explosiveness. TGUs afterwards is still demanding but I have time to correct my posture and alignment.

Shift work is hard and the calorie deficit, depending on how big, is making your recovery more difficult. I need my calories when adding weight or volume. Always. Otherwise I´m tired, lethargic, irritated and mentaly somehwere else.

Also might depend on the type of job. I am a office worker for at least 15 years. On saturdays I have a side job at Subways making sandwiches. That truck hits me every single time and it´s not even a hard labour job.

Taking all that into consideration makes it possible for me to train 6 times a week. It was a difficult adaption. Now I woudn´t want to miss it. At least the daily movement, mobility warm-ups and stretches will probably stay way beyond retirement. If possible.

Timeswise I don´t do much anything else. Training, cooking, cleaning, bed. But I also have the luck to have a supporting girlfrien and two days home office which gives me 2 hours more time on those days.

Last edited:
My coach says my execution are certification worthy but still I want to improve my weights in order to feel the certification day easier so I just want to get stronger. I could do the same but unluckly I don't really have a routine since my job is on shifts. :(
Right now I have a heavy snatch day. I do 5 snatches on the minute for 10-30 minutes with heavier than snatch size. 28 or 32kg. I do the same with swings with 32 or heavier. All the tested exercises I’m doing with 32 or heavier for level two cert at the end of this month.

The focus is the test preparation. I'm thinking about positioning the Heavy day snatch as first exercise since I snatch 100 times (10 sets x5/5 reps) timeless. The M and L day I can snatch as last since I snatch OTM after all the grinds. Does it makes any sense?
Yeah, makes sense and sounds good. What does the rest of your prep look like?

Yeah, makes sense and sounds good. What does the rest of your prep look like?
Usually I go with a TGU progression like 1-1-2-1, then 1-2-2, then 5x1/1, then 3x2/2 and stuff like that until I can go for 4 reps in a row in the TGU. Then 3x5 front squat, then 3x5/5 military press. The only problem is I go as heavy as possible and sometimes (especially now in a low kcal diet) I feel really burned during the last sets.

Usually I go with a TGU progression like 1-1-2-1, then 1-2-2, then 5x1/1, then 3x2/2 and stuff like that until I can go for 4 reps in a row in the TGU. Then 3x5 front squat, then 3x5/5 military press. The only problem is I go as heavy as possible and sometimes (especially now in a low kcal diet) I feel really burned during the last sets.
So try keeping what you’re doing on medium and light days, and hitting the snatches after like you suggested, but on your heavy snatch day warmup with some easy getups with at least your test bell, maybe some single leg deadlifts for a couple sets of 5 per leg, then snatch, then after your snatch do some medium weight complexes, something like 5 double cleans - 5 double presses - 5 double squats … rest, repeat 3-5 times. Try to use at least your test bells, and when that’s too easy go up to the next bell size (test + 4kg).

If every day you’re going hard hard hard and heavy heavy heavy you’re gonna run into a brick wall. You hopefully wouldn’t do that with a client, so start thinking how you would wave the intensity through the week so you don’t feel crushed. Heavy ballistics + light grinds, light ballistics + medium grinds, the. Medium ballistics + heavy grinds would be one way to have a rotating schedule. You can use volume or weight or rest to make days easier or harder.

So try keeping what you’re doing on medium and light days, and hitting the snatches after like you suggested, but on your heavy snatch day warmup with some easy getups with at least your test bell, maybe some single leg deadlifts for a couple sets of 5 per leg, then snatch, then after your snatch do some medium weight complexes, something like 5 double cleans - 5 double presses - 5 double squats … rest, repeat 3-5 times. Try to use at least your test bells, and when that’s too easy go up to the next bell size (test + 4kg).

If every day you’re going hard hard hard and heavy heavy heavy you’re gonna run into a brick wall. You hopefully wouldn’t do that with a client, so start thinking how you would wave the intensity through the week so you don’t feel crushed. Heavy ballistics + light grinds, light ballistics + medium grinds, the. Medium ballistics + heavy grinds would be one way to have a rotating schedule. You can use volume or weight or rest to make days easier or harder.
I'm studying the reg park program in order to do something similar with a conditioning snatch work since there's no snatch test work on that, just pushing on snatch skills. I'll think a plan and I'll post it later. Thank you so much.

ok i figured it out this program, tell me if it's decent or what

day 1
H Snatch
L TGU
L Press
M Squat
complex test 2bell 5clean5press5squat

day2
H Squat
L Snatch
L TGU
M Press
complex test 2bell 5swing5clean5press

day 3
H Press
L Squat
L Snatch
M TGU
complex 5clean5press5squat

day 4
H TGU
L Press
L Squat
M Snatch
complex 5swing5clean5press

give me a feedback

give me a feedback
I would cut a snatch day and replace it with heavy one arm or 2 arm swings 100-200 reps. And on light snatch days get in 40-60 swings for a warm up. Don't neglect some double swing practice too.

ok i figured it out this program, tell me if it's decent or what

day 1
H Snatch
L TGU
L Press
M Squat
complex test 2bell 5clean5press5squat

day2
H Squat
L Snatch
L TGU
M Press