all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Ballistics position in a workout.

I would cut a snatch day and replace it with heavy one arm or 2 arm swings 100-200 reps. And on light snatch days get in 40-60 swings for a warm up. Don't neglect some double swing practice too.
Yeah I'm trying to focus on the snatch because I can't Snatch 100 times in 5 minutes yet. And I have 2 more months :rolleyes:

Where are you at currently?
At the moment I can snatch the bell 70 to 80 times in 5 minutes while passing the talk test. I never tried 100 snatch actually but I suppose I can't. The L day is 10x10 every 30 seconds with a bell 1 size lighter than snatch test, M day is 7x10 every 30 seconds and 30 more snatch timeless (no more rest than 45 seconds tho) with test bell and H day I go for technique with a bell 1 size heavier than snatch test and I keep going until my technique is golden, when I feel the first compensation I just stop. At the moment I can snatch that bell for 7 sets.

At the moment I can snatch the bell 70 to 80 times in 5 minutes while passing the talk test. I never tried 100 snatch actually but I suppose I can't. The L day is 10x10 every 30 seconds with a bell 1 size lighter than snatch test, M day is 7x10 every 30 seconds and 30 more snatch timeless (no more rest than 45 seconds tho) with test bell and H day I go for technique with a bell 1 size heavier than snatch test and I keep going until my technique is golden, when I feel the first compensation I just stop. At the moment I can snatch that bell for 7 sets.
I see no reason you cannot pass the snatch test if you’re getting 80 in 5 while passing the talk test. Part of snatch test is getting in that uncomfy not passing talk test zone.

I would suggest on your high volume day do a 2 minute timed test at the beginning where you try to get as may reps as possible. After that 2 minutes, rest, and then finish out the rest of your volume per the normal. You’ll start to get used to what that will feel like, and what a faster pace feels like. Shoot for a t least 50, but try to get to 70. Both are slightly faster pace than the snatch test but it gets you used to the pace.

Based on your program this sounds like it would fit easiest in your medium day.

I see no reason you cannot pass the snatch test if you’re getting 80 in 5 while passing the talk test. Part of snatch test is getting in that uncomfy not passing talk test zone.

I would suggest on your high volume day do a 2 minute timed test at the beginning where you try to get as may reps as possible. After that 2 minutes, rest, and then finish out the rest of your volume per the normal. You’ll start to get used to what that will feel like, and what a faster pace feels like. Shoot for a t least 50, but try to get to 70. Both are slightly faster pace than the snatch test but it gets you used to the pace.

Based on your program this sounds like it would fit easiest in your medium day.
Ok I will try and update! Thank you so much

Ok I will try and update! Thank you so much
I’ve never been able to get more than about 78 on my own. But if you put me in a room full of people being tested, I’m getting 100. Before my first snatch test, the best I did at home was 74 and was out of breath. I went to the cert did 100 set the bell down and wasn’t gasping for air. But I guess that may be all the years of BJJ tournaments that help me too…
I wouldn’t stress about the snatch test. It sucks to do it, you do it, and 5 minutes later it’s over. My body doesn’t do well with snatching more than 2 days a week. I would seriously consider snatching a little less and doing more heavy swings.

Last edited:
ok i figured it out this program, tell me if it's decent or what

day 1
H Snatch
L TGU
L Press
M Squat
complex test 2bell 5clean5press5squat

day2
H Squat
L Snatch
L TGU
M Press
complex test 2bell 5swing5clean5press

day 3
H Press
L Squat
L Snatch
M TGU
complex 5clean5press5squat

day 4
H TGU
L Press
L Squat
M Snatch
complex 5swing5clean5press

give me a feedback
My 2 cents: You're trying to do too much every day. You want to arrive at the SFG healthy, not overtrained or worse, injured.
I would squat, press and clean 2x weekly, TGUs 2x weekly, ballistics 4x weekly but snatch OR swing not both on the same day.
Personally I trained heavyish swings 3x week and snatched only once per week using this plan:
A Solid Game Plan for Acing the Snatch Test | StrongFirst
I was nowhere near 100 reps 8 weeks out but managed to do 100 in 5 min 3 times before SFG with increasing time to spare.
I trained TGUs with with cleans, squats and swings twice a week and paired presses with swings once a week and presses with snatches once a week.
Similar to @Anna C 's SFG prep guide.

Last edited:
I trained TGUs with with cleans, squats and swings twice a week and paired presses with swings once a week and presses with snatches once a week.
Similar to @Anna C 's SFG prep guide.

Yes, program written by @Al Ciampa, the article is below.

@Whey I think it would be useful to take a look at it so you get a sense for the volume, progression, and rest even if you don't use it. Also the time frame matches yours nicely.

Yes, program written by @Al Ciampa, the article is below.

@Whey I think it would be useful to take a look at it so you get a sense for the volume, progression, and rest even if you don't use it. Also the time frame matches yours nicely.

Thank you for your answers. I'm pretty interested in this article. I'm just wondering about the low volume on the snatch. Why won't you train the snatch more often?

Edit: I found the answer in the article thank you so much. I'm just unsure about the weights I have to use. Are the weights calibrated to your 16 kg snatch test bell?

Last edited:
Why won't you train the snatch more often?
For me, when I went to Level 1 my snatch technique wasn't the greatest. It was certainly good but it wasn't nearly as good as it is now where I can snatch 32kg no problem. I think the more you train for the cert you will find out that it is a good idea to keep snatches down to 2 days per week and swings once and probably even better to start with swings 2 day per week and snatch once per week. When I went to level one, my elbows were sore and prior to it I was trying to train them four days per week which was too much on my joint. Right now I can pretty well tolerate 2 days of snatching and one day of swings pretty well. (YMMV) Your mileage may vary.

Edit: I found the answer in the article thank you so much. I'm just unsure about the weights I have to use. Are the weights calibrated to your 16 kg snatch test bell?

Yes, the weights were calibrated to my test requirements for a 16 kg as well as my strength at the time, so you would adjust to what is doable for you and gets you to your required weights. Happy to help if you have any specific question on that.

For me, when I went to Level 1 my snatch technique wasn't the greatest. It was certainly good but it wasn't nearly as good as it is now where I can snatch 32kg no problem. I think the more you train for the cert you will find out that it is a good idea to keep snatches down to 2 days per week and swings once and probably even better to start with swings 2 day per week and snatch once per week. When I went to level one, my elbows were sore and prior to it I was trying to train them four days per week which was too much on my joint. Right now I can pretty well tolerate 2 days of snatching and one day of swings pretty well. (YMMV) Your mileage may vary.
Yeah I will follow your advise. I'm starting the Al Ciampa program today. I put too much volumes in my programs so I'll just follow this one.
Yes, the weights were calibrated to my test requirements for a 16 kg as well as my strength at the time, so you would adjust to what is doable for you and gets you to your required weights. Happy to help if you have any specific question on that.
Do you think I can change the second swing day and go for this progression instead or is it better to stick to the plan?

Yeah I will follow your advise. I'm starting the Al Ciampa program today. I put too much volumes in my programs so I'll just follow this one
Good luck to you! The cert is a lot of fun. I'm going to the level 2 cert at the Dome of Strength in Chicago April 27.

Do you think I can change the second swing day and go for this progression instead or is it better to stick to the plan?
It may work but that would be redundant with the snatches later... also, the 2nd swing day is supposed to be A+A or very similar to the AXE program -- a full 20 min or more of work/rest, whereas the plan you referenced is 5 min.

What you could do is do snatches instead, though -- I might go for 5 OTM. So for instance on Week 8 Session 3, instead of 1H swings for 20 repeats of 10 OTM with your 24 or 28 kg or whatever you might have used for 1H swings, you would do 5 snatches OTM for 20 repeats with your 20 or 24, or even alternate the weight every 2 repeats if you're working up to the 24. Or if you're quite good with the 24 already, use the 28 for repeats. These are building your strength, power, and recovery ability, not so much your conditioning. The conditioning comes with the snatch sessions in week 4, 3, 2, and 1, and you use your snatch size kettlebell for those.

Here is a snatch program I have been following. It is really good and very similar I believe to the one you looked up. Basically one day is a density day with snatch bell, day 2 is Heavy OTM snatches, and 3rd day is heavy one arm swings 32 or greater 5-7 OTM.

It may work but that would be redundant with the snatches later... also, the 2nd swing day is supposed to be A+A or very similar to the AXE program -- a full 20 min or more of work/rest, whereas the plan you referenced is 5 min.

What you could do is do snatches instead, though -- I might go for 5 OTM. So for instance on Week 8 Session 3, instead of 1H swings for 20 repeats of 10 OTM with your 24 or 28 kg or whatever you might have used for 1H swings, you would do 5 snatches OTM for 20 repeats with your 20 or 24, or even alternate the weight every 2 repeats if you're working up to the 24. Or if you're quite good with the 24 already, use the 28 for repeats. These are building your strength, power, and recovery ability, not so much your conditioning. The conditioning comes with the snatch sessions in week 4, 3, 2, and 1, and you use your snatch size kettlebell for those.
If you tell me I don't need those snatches I'll stick to the swing until week 4. I'm just scared I will lose my technique.
Here is a snatch program I have been following. It is really good and very similar I believe to the one you looked up. Basically one day is a density day with snatch bell, day 2 is Heavy OTM snatches, and 3rd day is heavy one arm swings 32 or greater 5-7 OTM.

I like this plan aswell but now I don't really know which one I should follow ROFL

If you tell me I don't need those snatches I'll stick to the swing until week 4. I'm just scared I will lose my technique.

I think it's a winner either way. The main thing is putting in an appropriate volume of work with a decent weight to build your hinge-related work capacity. Either swings or snatches will do that!

If it helps, you can scroll way back to March-April 2015 on my YouTube channel for some videos that go with those sessions.

Also, always welcome to upload a link to one of your videos here and we'll give you some feedback. Have you met with any SFGs in person regarding technique? That's always the best way. But if none are available to you we can help you here.

That should work for me, not sure if will for others, but welcome to share and we'll see.... You can also tag me there @annacannington

Back
Top Bottom