all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Best abs/core exercises?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Plank rotations: Straight plank, hold for 20 seconds, roll to side plank, 20 seconds, back to straight, then other side, then straight, now go to side arm bar,straight, other side , straight. Nine positions, 20 seconds each, takes 3 minutes, rest 1 minute, 8 sets, takes 31 minutes.
OR,
Circuit:
McGill crunch with arm/leg pulse then hand to foot, 10 a side
Dead bugs, 10 a side, alt.
Hamstring curls, swiss ball, 10
Stir the pot, clock,counter clock, back/forth 10 each
5 rounds. Go when ready, takes 17 -18 minutes.

Also: Single arm farm carry, 100 m shuttle ( carry bell 100m, switch hands, walk back ) 24 or 32 kg, 1800-2400m, around 4 mph, bell stays off ground until done, no stopping except to switch hands and pivot at turn.

Vid of McGill crunch with pulse

Last edited:
Hello,

Here is something I have never tried. It sounds like a blend of Tim Ferriss and Pavel

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Here is something I have never tried. It sounds like a blend of Tim Ferriss and Pavel

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'll try it today.

But just from the description, a single isometric hold in a quadruped position is going to leave a lot of planes of motion out.

Hello,

I think what follows will a little bit a "vanity question" but nevermind !

First off, a little bit of context:

Currently, my training routine is, on alternate days:
- Red Zone (3x a week, using 24kg for the C&P, 32 for the swings)
- Escalating density (3x a week with weighted pull ups (24kg), HSPU, weigted pistol squats, OA swings (36), Dragon flags). 8 minutes for each exercise
- Rucking (3-4x a week, with at least 1/2bdw, heavier most of the time, for at least 45 minutes (in general, between 1h20 and 3h)
- Trail running

I did close to 6 months of Timeless Simple at least 3x a week. From this week, I do this Escalating Density instead.

I now the "abs are made in the kitchen" or "abs are covered in the kitchen". My diet is all organic, very Mediterranean-oriented (let say 95%). No junk food, no refined sugar, etc...

By nature, I am fairly tall and slim (1,83m, 60kg). However, for vanity and because for once, I'd like to, would it be possible to get an effective "core routine", using bodyweight only, to get more visible abs.

Basically, I am looking for a routine (sets, reps, frequency) to get a torso "as strong as it looks" (so it may be a blend of strength and hypertrophy):
- sustainable
- bodyweight only
- "complete" (core, lats, flexion, extension, etc...)

Thank you very much !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

I think what follows will a little bit a "vanity question" but nevermind !

First off, a little bit of context:

Currently, my training routine is, on alternate days:
- Red Zone (3x a week, using 24kg for the C&P, 32 for the swings)
- Escalating density (3x a week with weighted pull ups (24kg), HSPU, weigted pistol squats, OA swings (36), Dragon flags). 8 minutes for each exercise
- Rucking (3-4x a week, with at least 1/2bdw, heavier most of the time, for at least 45 minutes (in general, between 1h20 and 3h)
- Trail running

I did close to 6 months of Timeless Simple at least 3x a week. From this week, I do this Escalating Density instead.

I now the "abs are made in the kitchen" or "abs are covered in the kitchen". My diet is all organic, very Mediterranean-oriented (let say 95%). No junk food, no refined sugar, etc...

By nature, I am fairly tall and slim (1,83m, 60kg). However, for vanity and because for once, I'd like to, would it be possible to get an effective "core routine", using bodyweight only, to get more visible abs.

Basically, I am looking for a routine (sets, reps, frequency) to get a torso "as strong as it looks" (so it may be a blend of strength and hypertrophy):
- sustainable
- bodyweight only
- "complete" (core, lats, flexion, extension, etc...)

Thank you very much !

Kind regards,

Pet'
I sincerely don’t think you will find a better program than what’s in the Hard Style Abs book.

For hypertrophy, train 3x/week alternating between 2 weeks of hardstyle sit-ups and 2 weeks of hanging leg raises, for a total of 50 reps per session (ex: 10x5, 2,3,1x5) with short-ish rest intervals.

Hello,

@Mike Torres
Thanks a lot !

When I go for HLR, should I go for the entire ROM ? Indeed, at the beginning of the move, this is mostly a hip flexor move. Core is engaged "only" when legs are parallel to the ground (and above).

Is it "enough" ? I mean, SU and HLR. Because most of the time, we also have to twist (create or resist a torsion) and stabilize. Do you have also something for "extension" (or a simple stretch such as a full back bridge is enough) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Mike Torres
Thanks a lot !

When I go for HLR, should I go for the entire ROM ? Indeed, at the beginning of the move, this is mostly a hip flexor move. Core is engaged "only" when legs are parallel to the ground (and above).

Is it "enough" ? I mean, SU and HLR. Because most of the time, we also have to twist (create or resist a torsion) and stabilize. Do you have also something for "extension" (or a simple stretch such as a full back bridge is enough) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
Pet’ if you want ‘twist’ do toe to the bar HLR with a windshield wiper at the top...

Hello,

@offwidth
Smart ! Thanks !

So, I'd have :
- HLR / Sit up
- HLR + Windshield wiper

Then I guess :
- A plank to balance the above
- Some kind of stabilization (bird dog, OAOL plank)

Could the above be considered 'not that bad', assuming my goal ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@offwidth
Smart ! Thanks !

So, I'd have :
- HLR / Sit up
- HLR + Windshield wiper

Then I guess :
- A plank to balance the above
- Some kind of stabilization (bird dog, OAOL plank)

Could the above be considered 'not that bad', assuming my goal ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
Hardstyle situps are definitely not "normal" situps, just like hardstyle planks are very different from "normal" planks. Hard Style Abs has the details - if you don't have the book, get it :) but the video is free on Prime Video right now if you're a Prime member. Worth watching.

On HLR, I would start with hollow body rocking on the floor or some of the floor HLR progressions described in the program - along with hamstring flexibility work. The benefits will build over time - it's worth it to get good at it.

For obliques, I would do angled HLRs where your shins touch the bar slightly outside your hand. I would do this instead of windshield wipers which may aggravate the shoulders (and some would say may introduce shearing forces). Warning: it's very, very hard. From Pavel: "The secret to the angled HLR is pulling harder with one arm—without bending either. Visualize your lats, pecs, serratus, and external obliques on the working side maximally shortening, closing your ribs, and bringing your pelvis and your ribs together on one side."

Heavy sandbag carries over each shoulder,HLR/wind shield wipers,dragon flags,walk outs

Hello,

I already do a set of Dragon Flags after each session (the same way @Harald Motz does a set of an wheel, as I stole this idea from him).

I guess the volume is not enough to trigger something because I do that for ages.

I mainly focus on bdw moves because they are doable anywhere

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've been doing S&S 5-6 times a week but I just read Hardstyle Abs for the first time and it is awesome. However is it overkill to do both? I tried doing a bit of the hard style moves and just felt my abs were spent. Like I couldn't contract them with the same intensity. If possible would it be ideal to do it before or after SS?

I've been doing S&S 5-6 times a week but I just read Hardstyle Abs for the first time and it is awesome. However is it overkill to do both? I tried doing a bit of the hard style moves and just felt my abs were spent. Like I couldn't contract them with the same intensity. If possible would it be ideal to do it before or after SS?
Well in Hardstyle Abs, Pavel recommends 10 Hanging Leg Raises twice a week on get up free days when on the program minimum. Maybe only do them on your days off from S&S and practice Hardstyle Breathing grease the groove style.

Hello,

Yesterday, I tried another core routine, which is as follows:

A. 10 repetitions: Myotatic crunch (see below)

B1 & B2 as a circuit, 3x
B1. 3 x 5r HardStyle Skinny Cat (more elegant than Cat vomit): The Hardstyle 4-Hour Abs Workout
B2. 3 x 5 HardStyle burpees

C1 & C2 a circuit, 3x
C1. Hardstyle Plank (10'')
C2. 3 HardStyle OA Push ups

I often use OAP as both anti extension and anti rotation exercises.

Regarding A, this is an exercice I picked up from Ferriss' 4h body.

1636032383880.png1636032405504.png
During step 4, I inhale and use diaphragmatic breathing

I still felt my core this morning... It remains relatively well rounded (transverse, oblique, [anti] flexion / [anti] extension, etc...), and has static, stato dynamic and dynamic moves. It can be done just about anywhere.

A "pleasant" torso is also nutrition-related, but I guess the above could lead to the best of both world (strength and aesthetics).

What are your opinion on this routine (very open debate) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I know the abs "are made in the kitchen" but i think i already have a low body fat percentage and my abs are visible.
I already tried youtube workouts but some of them are too easy, i'm intermediate in calisthenics with some results so recommend me anything.
Sorry for the bad english, i'm learning. ty
Military press (one arm, standing, strict form) a kettlebell overhead.

Pullups.

Deadlift a barbell.

You'll have abs - and lots else, too.

-S-

Military press (one arm, standing, strict form) a kettlebell overhead.

Pullups.

Deadlift a barbell.

You'll have abs - and lots else, too.

-S-
I'm still yet to get back to focusing on developing my one arm press, but I wanted especially to second the deadlift. The effect daily dose deadlift had on my abs was definitely in the right direction.

I'm still yet to get back to focusing on developing my one arm press, but I wanted especially to second the deadlift. The effect daily dose deadlift had on my abs was definitely in the right direction.
Marty Gallagher once said something along the lines of: You [if you're an adult male] can't possibly have weak abs if you can deadlift 300 lbs. Something like that, and FWIW, I agree completely.

-S-

CT's abs training includes heavy lift, heavy hold, partial reps...basically overload the abs, plus some isolated exercises to improve mind-muscle connection.

In SF I think we have similar things like kettlebell mile, double front squat, big emphasis on zercher lift/one arm press/one arm push up...

There's a reason one of the selling points of the SFB is you get a great ab workout without doing a single crunch..

And yes, when you are deadlifting double bodyweight, you have at the very least a fundamental idea how to brace your abs hard enough to do the task safely

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom