Bodyweight.. Or weighted bodyweight ?

Discussion in 'Bodyweight' started by Opiaswing, Apr 15, 2019 at 6:28 AM.

1. Opiaswing

Opiaswing Double-Digit Post Count

I am currently using kettlebells for lots of posterior chain movements but am looking to add some BW stuff for the added mobility, natural movement patterns and fun.

Is it always necessary to add weight to things such as pullups and dips? Can higher rep bodyweight stuff be equally as beneficial particularly if I'm already getting heavy strength work through heavy bells?

I have rarely seen relatively heavy athletes (180lb+) do 20+ reps of full ROM solid pullups... Surely that'd build some solid strength and strength endurance

2. mikhael

mikhael More than 500 posts

If you already have developed strength to be able to perform 20 Pull-ups, instead of adding weight try to develop strength to complete at least one One-Arm Pull-up.

3. Marc

Marc Quadruple-Digit Post Count

The great thing about bodyweight for upper body is that you can basically spend your lifetime on progressing and will develope outstanding strength (and the appropriate look), especially if you add rings. (Sadly, bodyweight falls a bit short on that for legs.)
    Now let's be real there are some moves that look cool but will take a lot of time to master (like maltese, iron cross etc.) and might simply be out of reach if you are tall and/or don't practise gymnastics from your childhood on.

But you can still adjust and advance the basics:
    Examples: For pulling try working on front lever/back levers, ice cream makers and 360 pulls.
    For pushing work on handstands/freestanding handstands, 90 degree pushups. You can even make ring dips ridicously hard by doing them with the legs constantly extended in front of the body or in l-sit.
    Ring muscle ups are also great (~equal amount of pushing/pulling. Bar muscle ups are more pullind dominant).
    For abs you could do l-sits to v-sits, dragon flags and kip ups.
    For legs do pistols and/or airbourne lunges progressing to shrimp squats (personally I find airbourne lunges more useful than pistols). Sissy squats (done properly!) can make you really miserably! For hams/glutes: nordic ham curls.
    All these moves are very hard but within reach for the dedicated.
    That being said there is absolutely nothing wrong (beside boredom) with doing reps in the 10-30 range on easier variations.
    Also, adding weight to easier variations to bring the reps down is great, too. Choose your tool ;)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 8:39 AM
  4. offwidth

offwidth More than 5000 posts

20+ pull-ups can also build some serious risk of elbow injuries...
    I would opt for adding weight rather than reps.
    But it comes back to (as it always does) goals...

5. pet'

pet' More than 5000 posts

Hello,

In addition to @offwidth 's wise post, I would add to avoid a full "lock off" when you are at the bottom position. That way, it is safer for the joints but also obliges to produce more tension.

Kind regards,

Pet'