all posts post new thread

Bone density in 73 year old powerlifter with 450 pound squat who started at 55

Ooo komshu.......Inri raki?
For the New Year we will be alive and well, we will celebrate in Bursa. We often go to Turkey in the month of May almost every year.
Otherwise, I am like you. 200 ml of whiskey, for example, I don't feel them. And if I drink with food, I can also drink a bottle. I don't get drunk, stagger, or lose my mind. But it's a lot and it's harmful. At the moment I don't drink a drop and I'm trying to diet and lose weight.
Greetings.
Ooo :)) Komsu… I am also at a streak of a few weeks skipping drinking during those nights however its socially quite challenging.

I attend a gym with a guy who is 80yrs old and over 200lbs. He stands about 6’1 or 2”. He claims to have benched 255 at 79 and I believe him. So he must have good bones. Sadly for me he told me that I have forward head poster. He then apologized but I thanked him for telling me. Good friend.

Back to bone density...

I just caught a post on a Facebook Masters Weightlifting group from a man who just had spine surgery. He said, "I knew that progressive load bearing exercise (like Olympic weightlifting) was proven to ameliorate the effects of osteoporosis. After carving on my spine for 3.5 hours my surgeon confirmed this. My MRI results showed surface signs of osteoporosis. However, my surgeon said that I had the hardest, densest vertebrae she’s ever cut.
She also told me that retracting my erector muscles and cutting through the connective tissues was a challenge due to their density. I took it as a compliment and told her that I owe it all to lifting."
Forgive me but it seems odd for a person who’s just had spinal surgery to crow about how good any aspect of their spine is, no?

-S-

Forgive me but it seems odd for a person who’s just had spinal surgery to crow about how good any aspect of their spine is, no?

-S-
According to his prior posts, "I have been recommended to undergo spinal surgery to deal with lumbar stenosis. The nerve impingement is causing loss of motor function in one leg. The procedure being proposed is a laminectomy." He then updated to say he had a laminotomy.

The Elderly

The majority of elderly individuals have a multitude of health issues, such as decline in bone density, muscle wasting, becoming pre-diabetic, ect. These health issues are essentially something many of them chose.

It is a slow process that take place over years, not over night.

They chose not to do any exercise which maintain and/or increases bone density/bone mass.

They chose not to consume enough protein per meal/day, which over they years leads to muscle loss. Not consuming enough protein starves the muscles; muscle wasting occurs slowly for years.

Diabetes will be "between 1 in 5 and 1 in 3 adults in 2050" (Projection of the year 2050 burden of diabetes in the US adult population: dynamic modeling of incidence, mortality, and prediabetes prevalence - Population Health Metrics)

Diabetes is a gateway disease to cancer, heart attacks, strokes, kidney failure, dimentia, alzheimers, etc.

In regard to Alzheimers, it is now being referred to as Type 3 Diabetes.

To reiterate, these health issues are something many chose due to not having some type of exercise program, consuming enough protein to maintain or increase muscle mass, and a diet that promotes and leads to diabetes.

Cudos To My Sister

It took my sister 16 years but she finally succeeded in going from pre-diabetic to being diabetic, having osterprosis (decreasing bone mass), sarcopenia (muscle loss) and having some other associated health issues.

Back in 2008 she was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. This year (2023) she was diagnosed as being Type II The irony is the when they informed her, she told them she wasn't.

Now she is on multiple diabetic medications.

Her new objective is now consume as little protein as she can and see how much muscle mass she can lose and perform no weight bearing exercise and see how much bone mass she can lose.

I have no empathy or sympathy for her or others who chose this life style of health issues. .

They own it.
I'm sure she hates you too

There was a post about alcohol consumption in this forum and when I looked at the posts, I have seen really very modest amounts of alcohol consumption.

I will be very honest amount the consumption numbers that is why I want to give a bit of background:
I have always worked as an executive in multinational companies (until recently), graduated from best Electrics Engineering school in Turkey aced many maths exams and received math awards. ( I am not trying to brag, this is first time in this forum I talk about my professional past, nothing indeed fancy but I am just sharing to give a perspective, I did not live an alcoholic on the streets.)

I lived in various countries and cities. Currently I live in Izmir, Turkey which is famous by its easy going people and laid back culture.

So although the amount that I am going to share Is I believe not impressive for Russians or Irish
whom I witnesses that drink really really quite heavy, still extravagant for the amounts I see in this forum.

A standard Friday night would start with drinking Turkish raki which is a hard liquor 43-45 % and if that is a good start for night you would be expected to drink half of a big bottle 35 cl (12 oz) + 2-4 beers or 2-4 servings of whiskey.

I drink less than average of my friends cause I do this only 4-5 times a month. Some do a lot more often.

I know this is embarrassingly high amount, I occasionally don’t drink for a couple of months so on a yearly basis I believe my average is bi weekly this amount but sometimes during summer it goes up.

I did not drink almost at all for like 10 years when I was living at the same house w my kids. I have started to drink the above amount in last two years…

I know this is a lot …
I don't think that's that bad if it's 4-5 times a month. A doctor is going to of course tell you you're going to die if you have over 2 drinks. But right now that's about my amount. Difference is for me it's daily, although I don't really drink until night time.

I'm sure she hates you too
Let's Revise That

She doesn't hate me. She hates my being blunt.

This remind me of the story of..

The Farmer and His Mule

The farmer is plowing his field.

The mule stop and won't go and starts whipping him mule.

A guy come by and tell the farmer that whipping his mule isn't going to work.

The farm then tell the man to show him how to get the mule to work.

The man say, you need to talk nice to the mule.

The man walk around in front of the mule, pick up a board and cracks the mule over the head.

The farmer is outraged and ask, "Why".

The man tell the farmer, first you have to get his attentention.

10 years of being nice to my sister on this subject didn't work.

If being nice isn't working another more agressive approach need to be taken.

Her blood glucose level on one occation was over 300, a few week later it was over 500.

Ketoacidois occur with a reading of over 230. One of two thing can occur; going into a coma or death.

Don't Shoot The Dog

1701265622835.png

This is a great book on Dog Training as well as working with people.

There are 10 steps. Being nice is first. If that doen't work a more aggressive tactics are taken.

Number 10, if all has failed, Shoot The Dog, metaphorically speaking.

A Dog Trainer friend of mine coached his son baseball team one year. After multilpe error on the field, being nice was not working.

He ended up having them run a lap for each error. As per him, that amounted to "Shooting The Dog" as a means of correcting the error issue.

Ege is someone I like. I realise that I was a blt blunt with him and will work on that.

Misinformation

What I have a issue with are individual who continue to present misinforamtion and continue to perpetutate it to those who don't have enough knowledge to determine if something is correct or not.

According to his prior posts, "I have been recommended to undergo spinal surgery to deal with lumbar stenosis. The nerve impingement is causing loss of motor function in one leg. The procedure being proposed is a laminectomy." He then updated to say he had a laminotomy.

Do you rule out lifting as a contributing factor of the back problems?

-S-

Do you rule out lifting as a contributing factor of the back problems?

-S-
I have no idea and I don't know if he would either. He didn't say if it was an acute injury or a chronic problem of unknown origin.

Generally speaking and having been in the masters weightlifting (Olympic Lifting) world for 4 years now, my observation is that it does not seem that low back problems/injuries are very common in masters weightlifters relative to the general population. Also does not seem like low back problems/injuries are very common in masters weightlifters relative to other types of injuries/issues in masters weightlifters (knees, shoulders, hips more common problem areas). Even then, probably not more so than the general population, and we learn how to back off, manage the situation, etc. I've had both hip and shoulder issues myself that required modification of training and physical therapy, but not complete rest or cessation of training, and nothing that seems to have caused any long term damage.

Back
Top Bottom