all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Buteyko reduced/light breathing vs biomechanical breathing

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kniwaw

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi, I know there are few fellows practicing Buteyko breathing.

I've been recently introduced to the breathing reduction breathing practice (breath light for breath right).

How can to connect light breathing with Hardstyle bimechanical breathing during Swings or Snatches?

Do you practice biomechanical breathign exhale through nose?

I practice buteyko and hardstyle breathing. During the set, I practice hardstyle breathing. When I'm resting between sets I might try to reduce breathing, or not.

During the set, I wouldn't mess with the hardstyle breathing because it's almost a safety issue, unless you are very experienced. You can try to reduce breathing while resting, which is even recommended in Simple and Sinister book. Additionally, the sets are not that long, so even if you are overbreathing, it doesn't make that much of a difference.

You can then practice buteyko separately from training. I have obtained good results this way on both fields.

Just my experience.

@kniwaw, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

+1 to @Oscar's post.

I watched a video about "breathe light to breath right walking" just now - that's not how I practice it nor how I teach it. (You may note in my .SIG that I am a master teacher in this school of Buteyko breathing education: advancedbuteyko.com)

For biomechanical breathing, the general recommendation is in through the nose and out through the mouth. Of course, nasal breathing in both directions is preferable but this will only work up to a certain level of activity.

-S-

In my experience, exclusive nose breathing is very beneficial for my endurance when doing swings, running and grappling. It is somewhat more challenging when boxing/striking (especially with competition nerves), but I still try to breathe with the nose for as long as I can there as well, and it seems to reduce exhaustion.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom