all posts post new thread

Barbell Can Zercher Squats do it all?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
For sure.

I do have an “end of the road” in sight for the Z Squat. For me that looks like comfortable reps with 315-365. MAYBE an occasional 405.

I’m of the mindset that if I can’t comfortable do it 2-3 times a week without wrecking myself then it’s just not a good fit for me.
I found more carryover frome the full Zercher DL than the squat, I found it significantly better than any Good Morning variation.

I'm guessing that if you are a natural DLer, then after you hit certain level of strength, you're going to need to do some (maybe not much, mind you) dedicated DL training to up your numbers.

Performing Deadlifts To Increase Strength

Let's re-address the issue of performing Deadlifts to increase Deadlift Strength.

The issue with this approach is that Technique is altered with this approach.

It ensures Poor Technique is developed and maintain.

Auxiliary Strength Training Exercises

The optimal method of increasing strength in the Deadlift, any movement, is to employ Auxilary Exercise that are smilar in nature to the movement.

Auxilary Exercise are essentially disposable; realiasticly rotatable exercise.

Auxiliary Exercise are rotated in and out of program over time.

Exercise Variety

Research on this has been posted multiple times on this site.

Varying Auxiliary Exercises have been shown to increase strength for athletes and increase size in Bodybuilder to a greater degree than constantly performing the same movement.

Auxiliary Exercises allow a lifter to minimize or to some degree override the sticking point in a movement.

An Example

One of the most effective metod for Conventional Deadlifter is...

Dr. Bret Contreras

This applies more so to Conventional Deadlifter than Sumo Dealifters.

1) 90 Degree Back/Hip Extension

The overload occurs at the Top Part of this exercise

This exercise will increase Top End Lockout Strength for Lifter who struggle in this part of the Conventionl Deadlift.

2) 45 Degree Back/Hip Extension

The overload occurs in the Middle Range of this exericse.

Buiding Strength in the Middle Range will help those who stall in the knee area of the Conventional Deadlift.

Hang Power Cleans

As with 45 Degree Back/Hip Extensions, what I found was the my sticking point shifted from just below my knees to just above my knees.

3) Good Morning

The Good Morning amounts to being a Standing Back/Hip Extension.

The overload occurs in the Bottom Range of this exercise.

Can the Zercher Squat replace the DL?
I am now considering trying this once my current round of PL competitions is over.

Are you doing them from a rack or from the floor? My favorite way to do them, in the past, was one DL from the floor and few ZSQ from there, kind of like 1 clean and multiple presses.

-S-

Just to simply my training. Keep it as minimalistic as possible and still get all of the benefits.

Also - I spend a stupid amount of time at a desk in front of screen with so spending less time in internal rotation is a good thing for me.

Plus - My body has never really tolerated high frequency DLs. Even when keeping around 70-80% (315-365) with low volume pulling 2-3 times a week just catches up with me. That’s not the case with Z squats. 3 weekly sessions leaves me fresh and ready for life.

I don't really get the minimalism. Like, if you can't deadlift three times a week, why not deadlift once and zercher squat twice? Or do a deadlift every two weeks? Still, nothing wrong with the minimalism, we all train like we like to and no approach is without merit. I don't need to get it if you're the one doing it.

The zercher is indeed a great exercise and among the best choices for you, if not the best.

I found more carryover frome the full Zercher DL than the squat, I found it significantly better than any Good Morning variation.

I'm not looking for an argument but I'll just bring out an opposite experience. The zercher is something I really enjoy and which I developed to a relatively decent level, but I'm not sure if it ever did that much anything for my other lifts. The good morning and its variations, however, is about the best exercise around in my book. It works on my squat and deadlift like nothing else. I'm not surprised at all how it's such a staple at Westside. That said, Louie is also a big fan of the zercher. Individual differences, etc.

I don't really get the minimalism. Like, if you can't deadlift three times a week, why not deadlift once and zercher squat twice? Or do a deadlift every two weeks? Still, nothing wrong with the minimalism, we all train like we like to and no approach is without merit. I don't need to get it if you're the one doing it.

The zercher is indeed a great exercise and among the best choices for you, if not the best.
Great points.

Basically I feel like 3 weekly Z Squat sessions are as taxing on me as one weekly DL session. I like consistency and that’s what the Z Squat gives me.
You did not mention about that at the first place.
Did I need to? I didn’t ask “Can Zercher Squats get my DL to 600” I just asked if it could replace them?

I’ve played around with it a bit. Haven’t given it much attention. The reps I have done have felt really nice.

Performing Deadlifts To Increase Strength

Let's re-address the issue of performing Deadlifts to increase Deadlift Strength.

The issue with this approach is that Technique is altered with this approach.

It ensures Poor Technique is developed and maintain.
When I say "I'm guessing that if you are a natural DLer, then after you hit certain level of strength, you're going to need to do some (maybe not much, mind you) dedicated DL training to up your numbers.", I DON'T say you should be pounding away on the exercise like a doofus. Guys with levers like Ed Coan can get probably away with that - the rest of us can't. I thought I was being clear enough.

Not sure why you felt the need to respond to what I said with this.

I am now considering trying this once my current round of PL competitions is over.

Are you doing them from a rack or from the floor? My favorite way to do them, in the past, was one DL from the floor and few ZSQ from there, kind of like 1 clean and multiple presses.

-S-
Yea! Give it a run. It’s been really rewarding for me. I don’t plan on going away from it anytime soon.

The majority of my reps are from the rack. I do make a point to do one full cycle per session. More if time allows.

I’ve found that for me the first rep after pulling the bar to your thighs really zaps later squat reps so I don’t use this method all the time.

100% of my reps are to full depth with the bar resting on my thighs for a brief pause.

@Chase Hines one can make the Zercher work with more of a "hips back" vs a "hips down". Am I safe to assume you used a more 'hips back' approach? AKA more hinge than squat?

That’s correct. I’ve played with both but 95% of my practice falls into that 8 o‘clock position.

Very nice. from an LB perspective I find that position perfectly translates to the DL, Much less fatiguing with no grip which I would safely guess, along with a lowered system load to what you'd lift in the DL, allows you to train with that frequency.

I really like your approach. With the ZSq > DL, however, it seems you don't really have a "pull". The C&P is about the only one you'd get in your training. Clearly, however, it seems to be working for you.

Very nice. from an LB perspective I find that position perfectly translates to the DL, Much less fatiguing with no grip which I would safely guess, along with a lowered system load to what you'd lift in the DL, allows you to train with that frequency.

I really like your approach. With the ZSq > DL, however, it seems you don't really have a "pull". The C&P is about the only one you'd get in your training. Clearly, however, it seems to be working for you.
Thanks!

Yea. I don’t really train a “pull” specific movement. I haven’t for awhile now & it hasn’t been as issue at all.

I do KB arm bars, rack carries & OH carries for shoulder health. Also mix in some TGU practice & some hanging.

I do try to mentally “pull” my presses down to rack which I believe to be helpful.

I dunno....as long as it works...it works.

I totally disagree w. the "no reason" part of this ...
It depends on one's goals. For general health and fitness purposes, I spent the better part of the last 20 years not squatting except for bodyweight Cossack squat and didn't feel I was any the worse for the lack of a traditional loaded squat. Everyone should squat - my squat, unloaded, is good, and if someone's isn't, then they should work on it, but that's as far as one needs to go unless there is a specific reason to do otherwise, IMO.

-S-

I'm not looking for an argument but I'll just bring out an opposite experience. The zercher is something I really enjoy and which I developed to a relatively decent level, but I'm not sure if it ever did that much anything for my other lifts. The good morning and its variations, however, is about the best exercise around in my book. It works on my squat and deadlift like nothing else. I'm not surprised at all how it's such a staple at Westside. That said, Louie is also a big fan of the zercher. Individual differences, etc.
No argument. It depends on the lifter. For my build, and my strengths and weaknesses, I got no carryover from GM's. Neither have I ever gotten anything from a Reverse Hyper. It depends on the individual. For me, it doesn't hit a weakness so it doesn't give me much bang for the buck. I am much more of a natural Deadlifter than a Squatter, and I am naturally good at things like Husafell Stone (Any stone event, really) and Stone Circle (Often called Conan's Wheel, even though it actually isn't). I suck at Overhead stuff and gas on a Medley. All my power is already in the hips and low back, so I don't get much from GM's. I also lift LESS with a belt on and can't do a clean at all if I'm wearing one. But a Squat suit does amazing things for me. So, no one should expect the same mileage as me from the same exercises.

Did I need to? I didn’t ask “Can Zercher Squats get my DL to 600” I just asked if it could replace them?
Maybe you should. At the first place you mentioned about your training and zercher increased your DL number. I gave you my thought about carryover is different from getting the benefit (hypertrophy, for instance. or grip strength. or deadlift is a different movement pattern). Then you answer that only real-life performance is important - if I and others know that from the first place, maybe our answers would be different. I start to think that you don't really want to discuss, you just want to find agreements from people with the same thought.

he said there is no reason for back squats or even front squats
front squat and back squat are wonderful exercises for posture. High bar back squat, done in a similar way like weightlifter really forces you to open up your chest. Back squat is maybe the only squatting exercise done with the bar that can be loaded heavy and done with high rep => it's a great exercise for hypertrophy.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom