all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Cardio Can Increase Your Muscle Growth

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

It's more localized, whereas this gives a 2 for 1.
Yes, 2 for 1 you are correct.
Below are some brief quotes From Jerry Brainum’s APPLIED METABOLICS NEWS LETTER
—————————————————————————————————
Can Aerobics Help You Add Muscle Mass? by Jerry Brainum
November 1, 2018
By: Jerry Brainum
Filed Under: Aerobic Exercise

. . . Still another mechanism of how aerobics can be anabolic is by increasing capillary density in muscles. Capillaries are the smallest of blood vessels that directly deliver nutrients and oxygen to cells, including muscle cells. Studies have shown that the closer capillaries are to SCs, the greater the ability to activate SCs. The implications here are obvious . . .

. . .But the take-home message from all this is that mitochondria have a direct association with satellite cell activity in muscle and in doing so, can promote anabolic effects in the muscle through heightened SC activity. And aerobics is still the best way to promote the development of new mitochondria . . .

. . . Indeed, it is becoming apparent that not only will aerobics not promote muscle loss, but may actually promote anabolic effects in muscle . . .

What zone does girevoy sport typically operate in? Is their style of strength endurance helping mitochondrial growth?

I didn’t read beyond the abstract but this sounds intriguing:

These findings suggest that GS kettlebell snatches with 16-kg can provide an adequate aerobic stimulus to improve cardiorespiratory fitness in those with a V[Combining Dot Above]O2max of ≤51 ml·kg·min, according to aerobic training recommendations from the American College of Sports Medicine.

To be honest, though I was jesting about battle ropes, there is some sincerity in my query...
My father was diagnosed with Raynaud's disease and I exhibit the same symptoms of painfully cold hands in cold conditions.
I think the solution could be increased capillary density in my hands and arms. But I may be over simplifying things?
Windmilling the arms forces blood into them. Works well.

I feel like the idea that cardio is helpful for muscle growth and recovery has been known for decades now but we have to somehow rediscover it every few years. I myself do similar things with exercises I know work and then promptly drop from the rotation...

I feel like the idea that cardio is helpful for muscle growth and recovery has been known for decades now but we have to somehow rediscover it every few years. I myself do similar things with exercises I know work and then promptly drop from the rotation...

I feel like back in ye olden days, it happened somewhat automatically, too, as kids would rotate between different sports by season.

What zone does girevoy sport typically operate in? Is their style of strength endurance helping mitochondrial growth?

As the video briefly mentioned, very few activities live in one energy system - even the 200m sprinter had some help from the aerobic system. In GS, ideally you want to do as much work as possible in the aerobic zone, but there is probably plenty of contribution from the glycolytic system. Elite GS athletes do a good amount of supplemental cardio. They probably get more contribution from their aerobic system than us mere mortals who just try to survive. Beginner GS programs have lots of timed sets where the reps are done at a certain pace with several seconds in between reps. This means that beginners are probably still getting some contribution from the ATP-CP system.

I feel like back in ye olden days, it happened somewhat automatically, too, as kids would rotate between different sports by season.
A lot of "kids," and I'm including college-aged kids, didn't know any better. I can't tell you how many guys I met in the college gym who only worked their upper body because the "ran for their legs." Even guys who worked legs still ran or did other cardio and they didn't worry about losing gains, probably because they also didn't know any better. Sometimes being ignorant has its benefits.

This motion is similar to double poling. It's not ideal but still works the muscles used in double polling.

I dunno, it's been a long time, but I've used battle ropes and ski ergs.

They didn't feel at all similar to me.

Last edited:
So thinking of the posterior chain hypertrophy that a lot of people get from S&S; does this mean that a combination of swings, snatches and cycling while focusing on a 3-5 min working range would result in optimal lower body hypertrophy?

So thinking of the posterior chain hypertrophy that a lot of people get from S&S; does this mean that a combination of swings, snatches and cycling while focusing on a 3-5 min working range would result in optimal lower body hypertrophy?

Optimal?

No. Ballistics aren't optimal for hypertrophy.

You'd want some lower body grinds in there, too.

Especially for the lower body anterior chain (i.e. your quads) that those ballistics aren't hitting that hard.

Add squats -- even track cyclists do squats.

The hypertrophy you get from S&S is more a side effect of using a muscle you haven't used much. It is fairly minimal and short lived.

S&S plus cardio is a favorite of people who don't want hypertrophy because they participate in activities where extra weight is a detriment.

I actually didn't notice any at all.
Probably because you had some level of activity before S&S.
I'll second that. I definitely got some new muscle definition from S&S - arms and shoulders. 24 kg get-ups (and later, heavier) were a lot of time under tension and that seemed to build some muscles for me. But before that, I did very little resistance training.

Back
Top Bottom