all posts post new thread

Cause&Effect

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
11-13 December SFL Cert, Lilleshall England
need to work on my bench press strength test.
What muscles does the bench work? answer: the legs. (and the rest of the body).

Mon. 12/14/15
- zercher squat - 120k: 5rx1 - 150k: 5rx2
- bottom up press - 32k: 2rx5

Last edited:
SFL, now?? Wow, Congratulations!! Surely you've set a StrongFirst record now, for 3 certs in under 6 months! Set your sights on SFB yet?

Glückwunsch, once again! So, what's left? Beast-Tamer and SFB? For myself, the Simple-Standard is at least coming closer... I guess, my limits are quite different from yours.

@Stuart Elliott : I did the 10 breaths in between the sets not ten breaths for all reps (I am not a fakir)
@Anna C : I attended, I am not an SFL yet. I know, what I have to work on. Bench groove & @Pavel Macek: GLAG and SMILE like Doc
@Christian Gelderblom : Beast Tamer is definitely a very reasonable goal, but first to become SFL
@Pavel Macek : the hip flexor activation drill is a nugget. That was what I was looking for. Simple and easy as it gets. First, do the drill: take a light kettlebell (for me 12k works very well) put one foot through the handle, then tense the leg you are standing on + the glutes and abs and pull your leg with the kettlebell up as high as you can for a few repetition, until you get messages from the flexors. Change sides. Second, do the skill immediately: take a heavy bell and do the goblet squats and pull your knees up to your chest while standing to, as Doc Hartle said make gravity where it has to go.

Tue. 12/15/15 - 92,8kg:
+ zazen
- clubswinging
- hip flexor drill - goblets 40k: 5rx3 - halo 24k: 5rx3
+ simple and sinister (236) - 27.30min
- swing 40k: 10rx10s (10 breaths)
- rest (40 breaths)
- get up 50k: 1rx10s (12breaths)

- b.up press 32k - b.up cleans 45k - clubswinging - (bent)armbar

Last edited:
Hi Harald, that hip activation drill sounds really cool. Do you do that as a warm up? Is there anything else you can use if you do not have a small kettlebell?

@Wesker11 : that drill is cool. I did this today in my warm up routine before two sets on the goblets. But I think once really activated, the flexors know what to do. Do the drill, and immediately after, do the drill, meaning any type of squat you chose. Pull yourself into the ground and the knees to your chest. flexor activation and t-spine drills are magic for improving squatting. As for the weights, dumbbells should work also they are only a little bit harder to control. or a little bag filled with some stuff, or a looped roped attached to something should work.

@Harald Motz : Thank you so much for the info. This is pretty timely for me. I've been working on acquiring the mobility for front squats outside of my regular training routine. I'm pretty close and this should help a bunch, so thank you again. If you don't mind me prying, what do you do for the t-spine?

@Wesker11 or you can put you foot (dorsiflexed) under a heavy bench, leg bent at the knee, and pull the knee, or use manual resistance with your palms.

@Wesker11 : for t-spine slow foam rolling on the t-spine, melting around the roller, with neutral neck. Armbar, bent armbar, Brettzel. Wrist extension and flexible lats and triceps are also important, when using a bar. Do some drills almost daily, until you, or better a stern eye is content with your form.
@Wesker11 : I had do go 600 miles by car cross the ocean, to get this from Doc Hartle. And now I proudly posses THE manual.

Last edited:
Thanks Pavel and thank you again Harald. I will try the roller as well. It's weird I can do a Brettzel any day of the week and get both my shoulders to the ground, but I lack the extension component.

Wed. 12/16/15 - 93kg:
+ zazen
- hip flexor activation - goblets 40k: 5rx3 - halo 24k: 5rx3
+ simple and sinister (237) - 21.30min
- swing 40k - 10rx10s (10 breaths)
- rest (30breaths)
- get up 40k - 1rx10s (8breaths)

- clubswinging - b.up press 32k - b.up cleans 45k - (bent)armbar

Tue. 12/17/15 - 92,7kg:
+ zazen
- zercher squat - 120k: 5rx2 - 150k: 2rx1 -160k: 2rx1
- ringpullup - 0k: 5rx3 - 16k: 3rx3

- clubswinging - b.up press 32k - (bent)armbar

Fr. 12/18/15 - 91,8kg:
+ zazen
- zercher squat 120k: 5rx4
- ringpullup - 0k:5rx3 - 24k: 2rx2

- t-spine mobility - b.up press 32k

Sun. 12/20/15 - 90,8kg:
+ zazen
- ropeskipping 6min
- simple and sinister (238)
- swing 40k - 2h: 10rx10s (4x8breaths, 5x10breaths)
- rest (55breaths)
- get up 40k - 1rx10s (6breaths)

- t-spine mobility - b.up press 32k

Mon. 12/21/15 - 91,4kg:
+ zazen
- ropeskipping - 7min
- zercher squat - 120k:5rx1 - 150k:5rx1
- ringpullup - 0k: 6rx3

- t-mobility - b.up presses 32k - b.up cleans 45k - clubs

Tue. 12/22/15 - 91,4kg:
+ zazen
- goblet squat - 40k: 5rx2
- zercher squat: 150k: 8rx1

- clubs - t-mobility - b.up presses 32k, 40k

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom