all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

Cycle 2
Week 4 (10 weeks out)

Deload
Day 4
Press - 75 lbs. x 5, 85 x 5, 95 x 5

Pull downs, Band work.

End of the Deload and cycle 2. Meet prep training begins next week with a shift in volume/intensity. Heavy singles are included and the accessory lifts are mostly a supplemental barbell lift corresponding the main lift. The format will be that of SST. I’ll have to troubleshoot main lifts abs adjust to what the singles tell me. Specificity and intensity will reign over volume and variety, and aside from the supplemental lifts, accessory work will be lighter and geared towards recovery and the back of the body. The 3 week comes first, and is followed by the 5 and 1 week, the latter excluding + reps and singles. The supplemental lifts and their percentages, erring on the lighter side, are prechosen. The simple format looks something like this.

Day 1
Squat (5/3/1 + heavy single)
Good Morning (SST)

Day 2
Bench Press (5/3/1, heavy single, 5 x 5 FSL)
Incline (SST)

Day 3
Deadlifts “”
Front squats SST

Day 4
Press (no heavy singles)
CGBP

Each supplemental lift is chosen with a purpose to aid the big lifts. Following these lifts, accessory work will be most the back, abs or swings and cable/band work for upper body)

I have ideas of what the singles for each day/following week will be. We’ll start lighter and build as the meet prep continues. Not much rep PR’s during this time as increasing the load and dropping the volume will take precedence. The supplemental lifts will be set at a very moderate training max intensity ie

GM - 185
Inc Press - 175
FS - 205
CGBP - 185

The 5 x 5 FSL is to practice long pauses on the bench and is also of modest intensity.
Belt will be worn and attention to detail of each lift will be monitored with competition ready technique being emphasized.

The GM will assist both the hip component of SQ/DL and is not as taxing as RDL. Incline will build upper body strength, as well as the CGBP, specific to bench pressing. FS will aid the knees and upper back for a strong, competition depth squat while sparing the spine. Looking forward to this next phase.

Cycle 3
Week 1 (Nine weeks out)

Day 1
Squat - 135 lbs x 5, 225 x 3, 260 x 3, 290 x 3
315 x 2, 335 x 1
225 x 5 x 2 sets (paused)

Good Mornings - 95 lbs x 10, 115 x 10, 135 x 10

Face pulls, ab wheel

Top single still a liiiiiittle high. The weight felt good, smooth. Was nervous as I haven’t trained singles with this intensity in a while. This was my goal weight but I’m still gonna need to get comfy (if that’s possible) in the bottom.

Paused squats with FSL were my punishment. However, I’m finding my technique coming together. I still have many weeks before the meet and my squat training is narrowing in focus. Pulling into hip flexors, bouncing off the the thigh…front squats should help that hip flexion demand a bit.

Forgot how hard good morning are…even with a light weight. They help my deadlift, strengthen my back and the hip portion of the squat. After the pause squats, GM, hardly much desire to do any hard assistance. The cycles are tapering as far as extra work goes. I’m feeling optimistic though.

Top single

Cycle 3
Week 1 (9 weeks out)

Day 2
Bench Press - 150 x 3, 170 x 3, 190 x 3
210 x 2,
225 x 1, 235 x 1
155 lbs x 5 x 3 sets

Incline Press - 95 x 10, 115 x 10, 135 x 10

Accessories
T-Bar Rows, Cable high pulls, curls, press downs

225 never felt so good. 235 was solid but imperfect. People were asking for spots, talking to me before this rep and I lost a little concentration but it went up fine. Finding that not setting up my maximal arch before liftoff is better. This is the Russian bench style from PTTP Pro ie a looser style. Still, not getting worked up at all between the heavy singles and focusing on proper execution instead of emotions is paying off.

Back off sets for practicing bottom position with long pause, opening chest, resting on lats. My hamstrings and glutes really hold a lot of the weight.

Incline feels like a cool down. A chest opener and positive movement affirmation. No more is really needed.

Easy assistance a la Roghzinov method. Some rows then light pump for upper back and arms. Nothing could be easier.

225 single

235 single

Last edited:
Cycle 3
Week 1 (9 weeks out)

Day 4
Deadlifts - 245 x 3, 295 x 3, 335 x 3, 370 x 2
405 x 1

Front Squats - 115 x 10, 135 x 10, 150 x 10
Swings - 45 lbs x 25,25

Had to rush deadlifts because work in the morning. Felt fine but lost my groove. Knees skipped forward and hips too low. I want to pull with nearly vertical shins a la American style, which I only discovered was great for me the last cycle. Need to drill that setup but it really helps the weight fly off the ground.

With the knees forward Russian style, the quads start the lift but the bar has to be further forward because of the shins. There is a transition of the knees straightening which makes for a slower pull at this point so the knees can extend and hamstrings take over. I want to avoid this stage altogether and instead pull the hips back instead of down. The hips will be higher, knees straighter and there’s no transition of knees to hips. It feels like not much ‘pop’ off the floor’ because the quads are absent but the bar is elevated by the bodyweight being behind the bar as opposed to just above it. In essence, you pulling the bar into you and yourself into the bar. This is my focus for the light week next week on deadlifts.

405 single

Last edited:
Cycle 3
Week 1(9 weeks out)

Day 4
Press - 95 x 3, 110 x 3, 125 x 3
Pullups between sets

CGBP - 115 x 10, 135 x 10, 155 x 10

Cable face pulls, press downs, curls.

Press is trained minimally from here on. Basic upper body day the rest of the way. Lighter 5s next week with an emphasis on the points of each lift.

-hitting consistent depth on the squat.
-strong pauses on bench
-setup for my deadlift.

Cycle 3
Week 2 (nine weeks out)

Day 1
Squat - 225 x 5, 255 x 5, 275 x 5
Good Morning - 115 x 8, 135 x 6, 155 x 6
Double KB Snatch - 2 x 12 kgs x 10 x 5 sets
Cable High Pulls

Actually did my top set twice today. Depth issues. Felt a little off from the setup plus belt.

I’ve come to find that it is possible the low bar position that’s causing my depth issue. The squat is close, if not parallel, but tooo close for comfort.

I really sank these as low as I possibly could. I went back to 225 for a few sets and even with the long pause, barely got any lower. After moments of dismay and confusion, I decided maybe my bar position was too low. After all was said in done, I practice a “hybrid bar” position, a few inches higher, bargaining with my self if I got depth with an empty bar, I’d adapt it. While my timeframe to meet time is swiftly closing, I think this is a wise adjustment as I’ll still have time to practice it and I do not want to go into the meet second guessing my depth. If I lose poundage, so be it. I will not bomb out for a lack of depth.

The higher position will add stress to the upper back and quads. I’ll be fighting to stay upright as I have less upper back supporting the lift. This is where the good morning and front squat training will come in clutch. The bar position isn’t sooooo much higher that the lift becomes a new lift altogether, but next weeks heavier singles will be a test now.

We shall see.

Adjusted bar position

Cycle 3
Week 2 (nine weeks out)

Day 2
Bench Press - 145 x 5, 165 x 5, 185 x 5
Inc Press - 115 x 8, 135 x 6, 155 x 6
T-Bar Rows - 20 x 3 sets

Band face pulls, extensions, curls

Feeling fatigued today. Gladly it’s the medium week sandwiched between two heavier weeks. Things felt ok. Just tired.

Cycle 3
Week 2 (nine weeks out)

Day 1
Squat - 225 x 5, 255 x 5, 275 x 5
Good Morning - 115 x 8, 135 x 6, 155 x 6
Double KB Snatch - 2 x 12 kgs x 10 x 5 sets
Cable High Pulls

Actually did my top set twice today. Depth issues. Felt a little off from the setup plus belt.

I’ve come to find that it is possible the low bar position that’s causing my depth issue. The squat is close, if not parallel, but tooo close for comfort.

I really sank these as low as I possibly could. I went back to 225 for a few sets and even with the long pause, barely got any lower. After moments of dismay and confusion, I decided maybe my bar position was too low. After all was said in done, I practice a “hybrid bar” position, a few inches higher, bargaining with my self if I got depth with an empty bar, I’d adapt it. While my timeframe to meet time is swiftly closing, I think this is a wise adjustment as I’ll still have time to practice it and I do not want to go into the meet second guessing my depth. If I lose poundage, so be it. I will not bomb out for a lack of depth.

The higher position will add stress to the upper back and quads. I’ll be fighting to stay upright as I have less upper back supporting the lift. This is where the good morning and front squat training will come in clutch. The bar position isn’t sooooo much higher that the lift becomes a new lift altogether, but next weeks heavier singles will be a test now.

We shall see.

Adjusted bar position

It's interesting... It looks like your knees travel more forward with the bar lower on your back. And your lower back rounds with the bar higher on your back. But maybe it's the different camera angle that makes me see or imagine things.

When it comes to bar position, I always think of Louie Simmons and how the most advantageous position is not low but back.

I've been doing all my squatting lately as touch-and-go box squats, because I no longer trust myself to be able to find the right depth.
I just think I need to start filming my warmups.

I did that too…once. Although in comparison, there will be no box.

I’m trying to feel the bottom position better. Next week is heavy singles again. Some pause squats in the warmups may give me the feedback I need. The new bar position will be that…new. I’m hoping this minor adjustment won’t totally throw my squat out the window.

It's interesting... It looks like your knees travel more forward with the bar lower on your back. And your lower back rounds with the bar higher on your back. But maybe it's the different camera angle that makes me see or imagine things.

When it comes to bar position, I always think of Louie Simmons and how the most advantageous position is not low but back.
That is strange.

Here’s a comparison of each bottom position. I’m a tad more upright at the start with the higher bar placement.

The issue is my torso is quite short compared to my femurs. The higher bar bosition “lengthens” the back space do to speak. I’ll still rely heavily on my PC muscles.

The problem with a higher bar position is that I don’t get my strongest muscles groups to do the work. Leaning over with the only my neck to brace the bar is not ideal….

Attachments

• CF0DA69E-2DDB-4347-B5D8-7268E76313D0.png
    CF0DA69E-2DDB-4347-B5D8-7268E76313D0.png
    772.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 991AE4AE-0711-43B4-957E-657E5393C32F.png
    991AE4AE-0711-43B4-957E-657E5393C32F.png
    733.6 KB · Views: 5
That is strange.

Here’s a comparison of each bottom position. I’m a tad more upright at the start with the higher bar placement.

The issue is my torso is quite short compared to my femurs. The higher bar bosition “lengthens” the back space do to speak. I’ll still rely heavily on my PC muscles.

The problem with a higher bar position is that I don’t get my strongest muscles groups to do the work. Leaning over with the only my neck to brace the bar is not ideal….

I think we'd need a better angle and equal loading on the bar to really be able to compare the pictures.

Since you're on a schedule there's only so much time to fix things and the smaller the changes should be if they're forced.

A concentrated attack on the worst weak points should still be very much possible and effective.

I would try out how big a change exactly you need in bar position and do the least.

I think we'd need a better angle and equal loading on the bar to really be able to compare the pictures.

Since you're on a schedule there's only so much time to fix things and the smaller the changes should be if they're forced.

A concentrated attack on the worst weak points should still be very much possible and effective.

I would try out how big a change exactly you need in bar position and do the least.
Agreed. On all counts.

The change will indeed be the minimal necessary. The plan remains with only the slightest modification to accommodate the variable.

Cycle 3
Week 3 (9 weeks out)

Deadlift - 315 x 5
FS - 135 x 8, 155 x 6, 175 x 6
Rows, Swings

Too lazy to log warmups. Deadlifts didn’t feel the best. I’m annoyed that the one week I found my groove, the video was lost. Naturally, I’m reverse engineering all the wrong things I’m doing.

My setup is where the key lies. I no longer want to hinge before grabbing the bar. Actually the legs are near straight. Hinging into the bar is what moves it. Bleh.

Cycle 3
Week 2 (9 weeks out)

Day 3
Press 95 x 5, 105 x 5, 115 x 5
Pullups,

CGBP- 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 175 x 5, 185 x 5
Seal Rows, SQ/DLpractice

A slow paced but movement filled session. Finally a day off from work after an 8 day stretch.

Finding my grooves for the lifts after some mishaps. Just did a couple plates and doubles/singles.

I need to get back on my heels in the deadlift. Press felt solid, controlled. Close grip is tougher on my bench press. Must remember: the bar can sink but it shouldn’t throw my arch off.

Week 3 (Cycle 3)

A broad overview of the week.

SQUATS (DAY 1)
-worked up to a couple heavy singles.

335 lbs.

350 lbs.

Pause squats with 225 x 5 x 2 sets

Notes:
-Mobility work for depth + light pause squats on DL day.
-Weight feels good. Sticking with Low bar

BENCH PRESS
230 x 1

225 x 1 + Commands

215 x 1 x 2s( long pause, focusing on butt down)

205 x 2 x 4 sets (long pause)

Notes
-practice long pauses/commands
-keep butt on bench

DEADLIFT
-forget trying to learn American style, use familiar style.

PRESS
135 x 1 (basically a warmup before CGBP)

CGBP - 190 x 5 (long pause/last rep)

OVERALL NOTES
-I know what to focus on for each lift.
-limit accessory work -Renegade rows (5 x 2 sets after pressing) on upper days and abs on lower days. Leave prime movers alone.
-focus on main lifts.
-Recover

Back
Top Bottom