all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Could i be over training?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

sebape

Level 4 Valued Member
Hey!

My max pull up reps used to be 17 a month ago thanks to GTG, then i changed my workout program to weighted calisthenics training, and been training push/pull together on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays. It's been a lot of fun and i'v progressed a lot on ring dips (could be because i'm new to ring dips) but almost not at all on pull ups.
Today i decided to do an easier body weight workout and was shocked and disappointed that my regular pull ups had gone down to 14.

My routine looks like:
Weighted pullups 5 sets
pull ups 3 sets with different grips
ring curls 3 sets
ring dips 5 sets
weighted push ups 3 sets
tricep extensions 3 sets
Every set is to failure

do you think this routine looks a bit much to much to be doing 3 times/week? I don't really see any other signs of over training except a mild ache in my right bicep after training.

Sincerely,
Sebsatian

Well... there's overtraining, and then there's under-recovery.

What are your training goals? Are you training for some specific sport, event, or profession?

Do you do any active recovery training?

What do you do when you aren't training? Do you engage in any other physical activities? Or have a physical job? Or a mentally stressful one?
How's your sleep? Overall energy levels? Age? That plays a huge role in recovery.

There are a lot of variables to consider...

Training to failure as you are has its place I suppose, but again, it really does depend upon your goals.

I also do weighted pullups and weighted dips. For me heavy and low reps (<6) variations have no carry over to high reps variations. It's not possible to maintain high reps records with low reps work. Because high reps are strength endurance and low reps are maximal strength, which are not interdependent.

Your routine looks fine, except that lower body stuff is missing and except "Every set is to failure".
You could try a heavy-medium-light approach.
Like this:
heavy = T1 (weighted) + T2 (unweighted) + T3 (isolation)
medium = T1 + T3
light = T2
Or other variations (T1+T2+T3 vs. T1+T2 vs. T1 or vary sets/reps/weights between heavy/medium/light). Or just alternate heavy and light days. After some monthes of training some variety in training can be beneficial.
"Each set to failure" should better be done on heavy days only or only for last sets or for isolation exercises only.

Hey!

My max pull up reps used to be 17 a month ago thanks to GTG, then i changed my workout program to weighted calisthenics training, and been training push/pull together on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays. It's been a lot of fun and i'v progressed a lot on ring dips (could be because i'm new to ring dips) but almost not at all on pull ups.
Today i decided to do an easier body weight workout and was shocked and disappointed that my regular pull ups had gone down to 14.

My routine looks like:
Weighted pullups 5 sets
pull ups 3 sets with different grips
ring curls 3 sets
ring dips 5 sets
weighted push ups 3 sets
tricep extensions 3 sets
Every set is to failure

do you think this routine looks a bit much to much to be doing 3 times/week? I don't really see any other signs of over training except a mild ache in my right bicep after training.

Sincerely,
Sebsatian

I would "retest" those pull ups a few times before concluding your numbers have actually dropped.

For myself, straight bodyweight movements tend to have bigger swings in variation than externally loaded exercises, especially when tested to failure. Depending on the day my OAPU might run from 6-9 reps, pistols 12-15 etc.

... Or just alternate heavy and light days. After some months of training some variety in training can be beneficial.
"Each set to failure" should better be done on heavy days only or only for last sets or for isolation exercises only.

If going to technical failure often, I'd still only do so on the last set of a given movement. And even then not every workout. And yes, you may be doing too much volume for 3X per week, 22 sets in a session is a goodly amount. How long is the workout?

Last edited:
@North Coast Miller @Jevgenij @offwidth
Well... there's overtraining, and then there's under-recovery.

What are your training goals? Are you training for some specific sport, event, or profession?

Do you do any active recovery training?

What do you do when you aren't training? Do you engage in any other physical activities? Or have a physical job? Or a mentally stressful one?
How's your sleep? Overall energy levels? Age? That plays a huge role in recovery.

There are a lot of variables to consider...

Training to failure as you are has its place I suppose, but again, it really does depend upon your goals.
I'm currently unemployed or i'm actually relieved from work because of my mental health.
I'm very active though. i train 5 days/week. the routine i mentioned is only for upper body, i also train legs hard on thuesdays and light cardio on thursdays. on top of that i take about 6-10k steps every day and more on weekends (i like to go for walks). I also do yoga stretches every evening, but it's more relaxing than exhausting. i sleep well but i do take sleeping pills every night to be able to sleep. I eat around 4000 calories and that's almost to little to maintain weight. I'm a 26 year old dude, i'm 190cm and weigh 84kg. my bodyfat% should be under 10% (it was 9,1% 5 months ago and my abs are just as visible if not more visible now).
My main goal atm is just to put on slightly more muscle and brake a few milestones like 20 pull ups, 5 muscle ups. other than that i just want to stay fit and athletic.

I wouldn't make a big deal of this - probably a few weeks of training for higher reps and your max reps will go back to where it was, and perhaps beyond.

-S-

How many days did you rest before retesting your max bodyweight numbers?

Hello,

An interesting video about training mutiple days in a row:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom