all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Curls: A Big Waste of Time?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I get a little golfer's elbow in my left one (it was once dislocated in a bouldering accident) and sometimes a couple sets of bicep curls can make it feel better. I think if you don't have a reason like this to use it, and you get better results with something else, there's no need to keep them. Maybe one concern is losing supination mobility, but you could just do some of your other pulls with a supinated grip to keep that.

HIT was before my time, so I don't know how the protocol works.

How heavy are you going?

Are you just picking a light weight and repping out until exhaustion?
To give an idea of the weight, I was previously using 40lb dumbbell for single arm curls reps of 5 at a cadence of about 1-0-1. For HIT, I had to drop the weight down to 25lb and changed the cadence to 4-0-4 for about 60s of work. Most HIT practitioners including myself go by time instead of reps. I'll usually try to pick a weight that I'll fail in 45-60s. Anything above 60-90s will still work too, but it'll create more acidity and pain than is required for growth. Next time, just pick a heavier weight.
Some HIT-er's use crazy long/slow cadences like 30s up and 30s down, but I don't find the exact cadence too important so long as you're not using any momentum to swing the weight up. It just needs to be all muscle.

IMO, the most important parts of the protocol are:
  • low volume: single working set to momentary muscular failure in about 45-60s.
  • low frequency: beginners can get away with training the same muscle twice a week, but once a week is recommended normally, and advanced lifters require 7-10 days for complete recovery/overcompensation.
  • relatively slow reps (4-0-4)
If you look up Mike Mentzer, Doug McGuff (Body By Science), Jay Vincent, they will get more into the particulars and WHY this method is so effective and the physiology of it all.

Maybe one concern is losing supination mobility, but you could just do some of your other pulls with a supinated grip to keep that.

I've never heard of anyone losing supination before.

Have you experienced this?

Not sure if this adds anything, but after years of NOT doing any curls, and following mainly minimalist programming, adding curls in (admittedly alongside adding other compounds), the growth in my biceps in about 3 months was ridiculous. I was actually shocked. Obviously that's because I neglected them, though.

In that time for pulling I was mostly doing rows and curls, 3-4 x 10, twice a week, that's all.

I lost my pullup bar in a move, otherwise I would've been doing those

I can’t recall the details or context, but whilst I was rehabbing my shoulder surgery my physiotherapist recommended doing curls (even as a preventative measure)

Not a waste of time for me, way too useful when manipulating stuff in front of/outside my center of gravity.
What do you think of kettlebell crush curls? Seems like they never became popular for some reason and they would appear to be perfect for that.
glutes, shoulders, and low to medium bodyfat are more important to impress women.
The last one is definitely most important. These days not being fat automatically puts you at least in the top 20% of people appearance wise.

What do you think of kettlebell crush curls? Seems like they never became popular for some reason and they would appear to be perfect for that.

The last one is definitely most important. These days not being fat automatically puts you at least in the top 20% of people appearance wise.
I liked kb crush curls until the bell fell out my crush grip and broke a floor board.

it happened on a Good Friday. That’s how well I remember that mishap. 25kg vs wood ain’t a fair fight.

Remind me again how you ended up with oddball weight 25 kg bells?
My mate the blacksmith has never ever explained how he acquired that mould. Or maybe he did and I was too drunk in his tepee in the woods to remember. I think he knew a load of old timers and got their KBs and made moulds. So maybe some dude had a 25kg and that’s how it happened. But aye. I only recently acquired an actual 1.5 pood. I’ve always owned I don’t even know what kind of pood 25kg. And they are bloody bears man. It’s not even like “well that’s only a kilo, how hard could it be?” They are bears to wield. He made a 14kg too and he had 11kg but these were later innovations.

My mate the blacksmith has never ever explained how he acquired that mould. Or maybe he did and I was too drunk in his tepee in the woods to remember. I think he knew a load of old timers and got their KBs and made moulds. So maybe some dude had a 25kg and that’s how it happened. But aye. I only recently acquired an actual 1.5 pood. I’ve always owned I don’t even know what kind of pood 25kg. And they are bloody bears man. It’s not even like “well that’s only a kilo, how hard could it be?” They are bears to wield. He made a 14kg too and he had 11kg but these were later innovations.

I mean...it's kind of stupid that KBs go up increments of 4/8, anyway.

I mean...it's kind of stupid that KBs go up increments of 4/8, anyway.
I know right? He’s 6’8” mate and is an ex marine and former Highland games champion. I’m 5’7”. He could invent his own numbers and words as far as I’m concerned and I’d just be like “aye, mate. That’s a great idea” lol

It’s just a different training philosophy that I suspect you’re unaware of or closed- minded about.

Eh?

How is going up by increments of 4 kg instead of 5 kg, or 8 kg instead of 10 kg, a training philosophy? Let alone one I'm unaware of or close-minded about?

The historic roots having nothing to do with training philosophy. It's simply an archaic leftover of the original units of measurement (pood), used by farmers as weights.

And now that we can buy KBs in increments as small as 2 kg, those roots have already been deviated from.

Eh?

How is going up by increments of 4 kg instead of 5 kg, or 8 kg instead of 10 kg, a training philosophy? Let alone one I'm unaware of or close-minded about?

The historic roots having nothing to do with training philosophy. It's simply an archaic leftover of the original units of measurement (pood), used by farmers as weights.

And now that we can buy KBs in increments as small as 2 kg, those roots have already been deviated from.
I accept the explanation in Pavel’s books. Does not mean I adhere to it completely and I’m not a sycophant. BTW, when I went “archaic” (old school), I became an undefeated champ in drug free BB.

I’m not “watching” this thread so you will have the last word based on reading any thread on this fine board. Imma gonna get my grounding on in some sand. You got this.

I accept the explanation in Pavel’s books. Does not mean I adhere to it completely and I’m not a sycophant. BTW, when I went “archaic” (old school), I became an undefeated champ in drug free BB.

I’m not “watching” this thread so you will have the last word based on reading any thread on this fine board. Imma gonna get my grounding on in some sand. You got this.

I think you misunderstood what the comment was about.

It was about the fact that an oddball 25 kg KB is, in on some ways, a more sensible unit increment than 24 kg, given we live most of the rest of our lives in a world using base-10 math and not base-16 math.

@watchnerd - isn't it because kettlebells used to be weighed in poods - 1 pood, 1.5 poods, 2 poods, etc. and a pood was 16kg? So we had the "classic" sizes of 16-24-32, and then someone came along and said let's have a half-way bells to jump between - 1.25 pood, 1.75 pood, etc...

Its like having 44lb bars and 44lb plates. What idiot would use 44lbs and not 45lbs!? Oh that's right, they were 20kg ...

Anyways that's just what I had thought why they weren't metric system based jumps.

@watchnerd - isn't it because kettlebells used to be weighed in poods - 1 pood, 1.5 poods, 2 poods, etc. and a pood was 16kg? So we had the "classic" sizes of 16-24-32, and then someone came along and said let's have a half-way bells to jump between - 1.25 pood, 1.75 pood, etc...

Its like having 44lb bars and 44lb plates. What idiot would use 44lbs and not 45lbs!? Oh that's right, they were 20kg ...

Anyways that's just what I had thought why they weren't metric system based jumps.

Yes, exactly -- it's based on poods (as I noted above), because that's the unit of measure that farmers had lying around for weighing agricultural products on balance scales. And people would meet at county market faires at harvest time and do feats of strength with the weights they had lying around (presumably after drinking).

(A pood isn't even actually 16 kg. It's 16.38 kg. So 2 pood is actually closer to 33 kg)

It was archaic (and presumably annoying) enough that the USSR actually abolished it as an official unit of measure:

Together with other units of weight of the Imperial Russian weight measurement system, the USSR officially abolished the pood in 1924. But the term remained in widespread use at least until the 1940s.[2] In his 1953 short story "Matryona's Place", Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn presents the pood as still in use amongst the Khrushchev-era Soviet peasants.

Anyhoo, back to curls...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom