all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Delayed symptoms

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Biggest thing I notice as consequence of getting older is more small injuries when I'm NOT training. I can go pretty hard while exercising, but might pull a muscle in my hip while combing my hair.
IMO, this isn't related to warmups. And it's worthy of its own thread, too.

I do know exactly what you mean as it happened to me in the past, but fortunately, not in the last 10 or 15 years or so that I can remember. I remember, maybe a couple of years after my initial recovery from my back injury, being able to already do a reasonably heavy deadlift but putting my back out once when I sneezed.

For me, time around meets provides an interesting barometer of this aspect of my fitness because I don't train much in the week leading up a competition and train even less in the week after (which is where I am in my schedule right now). I definitely feel some things I don't feel during normal training but, knock on wood, no injuries .

-S-

Yesterday done my workout, no problems
Went to work all day no problem, came home played with kids etc no problem.

Woke up and can hardly walk low back hurts so much

Not sure if it was my workout or something else

It is worthy of another thread certainly. One of our cadre was/is fond of saying 'the warm-up is the workout' or something to that effect. There are many days when this is absolutely true for me - the warm-up and warm-up sets are all I get in. I'm fine letting that be the end of it because 1) the warm-up is an integral part of the session for me with its own training effect, and 2) the warm-up has done its job of telling me what I need. Are there times when the warm-up is terrible and I press on? Of course, but it's still data I use to inform the training.

It is worthy of another thread certainly. One of our cadre was/is fond of saying 'the warm-up is the workout' or something to that effect. There are many days when this is absolutely true for me - the warm-up and warm-up sets are all I get in. I'm fine letting that be the end of it because 1) the warm-up is an integral part of the session for me with its own training effect, and 2) the warm-up has done its job of telling me what I need. Are there times when the warm-up is terrible and I press on? Of course, but it's still data I use to inform the training.
Your post makes me think that maybe it's because I compete that my focus is different. I have an agenda when I have a competition on my calendar, and a limited amount of time in which to lift, and a typical session is 10 or so sets among SQ, BP, and DL. Particularly as the cycle reaches the heaviest weights before any volume taper, I need decently long rests between sets, and I just have to fit in my lifts, so that's where my priority goes. This week, after a meet, I have no particular agenda and it definitely has a different feel to it.

-S-

Your post makes me think that maybe it's because I compete that my focus is different. I have an agenda when I have a competition on my calendar, and a limited amount of time in which to lift, and a typical session is 10 or so sets among SQ, BP, and DL. Particularly as the cycle reaches the heaviest weights before any volume taper, I need decently long rests between sets, and I just have to fit in my lifts, so that's where my priority goes. This week, after a meet, I have no particular agenda and it definitely has a different feel to it.

-S-
Maybe. I have done my share of competitions and the warm up has almost always been important. If a competition is on the horizon, I'm much less likely to let the warm-up be the only thing I do, but I may still alter the plan if warm-ups tell me I'm ready for more or that I really need to back off.

This rings with me. At present, my old warmups are literally my workout. Is all I'm doing. When I transition from Park Bench to Bus Bench and have a specific goal, then it will change (aka "training").

Eric

For me, the warmup is a systems check. The other day - on top of rehabbing some odd issue with my knee, felt something go sideways in my calf about 2 minutes into easy jumprope. Stopped immediately even though it didn't really hurt. next day some pain but not too bad, and my knee is improving.

So...burpees for warmup for a few. All for the best as an old heel spur in the same side foot was already acting up.

Getting old is like the story of the 'Buddha and the 83 problems'. Its always something.

One of the moments of getting older.
When I was younger it was simple: you workout, tweak something, it hurts. You stop, and in a few days it gets better and that's it.

As I got older (over 50 now) symptoms tend to be delayed. I can go through a workout without issues. Then, an hour later a shoulder or back starts hurting. The next day it is worse. I am thinking "went a little too much on volume" or "that rep was dicey"...

Once paid with several months of rotator pain after one good session of a+a snatches. I reckon older guys (some at least) should be careful with the volume.
I also am having the same experience. I've had three false starts with S&S since I first started it in 2017. The last time I had to stop I was experiencing the delayed symptoms in my lower back. I took almost a year off, doing GTG with OAPU and 5x3 SLDL with no weight while waiting for my back discomfort to go away and then not having access to kettlebells at the gym during the Covid shutdown.

Since February I started easing back into doing S&S once a week (while still doing the OAPU and SLDL with a light weight on the other days), then since last month doing 3 times in 2 weeks. I am about to go 2 times a week now. I'm still feeling the delayed symptoms which gradually gets better by the time of the next workout. The workout itself feels fine and then the delayed symptoms happen again.

I read McGill's Back Mechanic book and have been doing his big 3 exercises and going for walks every day which seems to help. So far so good.

BTW, I also attended the KB course as well as the Bodyweight and Barbell courses so my form is probably ok, at least from a safety point of view, but in any case I'm planning go to an SFG for a form check soon.

Many things over the course of an entire year. I think the most benefiting for me were dead hangs, t-spine foam rolls, mace swings and car seat upright reset.
Hi

I have tried Google with little joy.

What is this car seat upright reset.

Hi

I have tried Google with little joy.

What is this car seat upright reset.
Much simpler than you think... I meant adjusting my car seat!

Having a severe hunched back that progressed unnoticed by me, I didn't realize that I kept adjusting my seat every now and then for max comfort (more angled backrest and more forward headrest)... basically putting myself in a vice, especially since I spend 2+ hours daily in there.

I just set the seat to as upright as I could with headrest all the way back. During driving I would tuck my chin and strive to reach my head back to the headrest. I even push further back with enough force to separate my upper back from the backrest, during traffic stops. All of this was mighty uncomfortable in the beginning as you can imagine.

I also put something behind my lower back when driving as well as flying. According to McGill those seats are poorly designed with respect to back health because it puts you in a flexed posture.

One of the moments of getting older.
When I was younger it was simple: you workout, tweak something, it hurts. You stop, and in a few days it gets better and that's it.

As I got older (over 50 now) symptoms tend to be delayed. I can go through a workout without issues. Then, an hour later a shoulder or back starts hurting. The next day it is worse. I am thinking "went a little too much on volume" or "that rep was dicey"...

Once paid with several months of rotator pain after one good session of a+a snatches. I reckon older guys (some at least) should be careful with the volume.
I know that feeling you feel a slight twinge and a burn in a joint or muscle and your heart sinks and you think "that's it for a week or two" and sure enough the next morning you awaken to a craving for Ibuprofen as you hobble into the kitchen. I've learned not to go warp speed as I did in days gone by as it's finally sunk in that sooner or later I will pay the price. It's only taken me 60 short years to learn that lesson. Right, now where's that 44kg bell...

A week before my SFG II I was talking to myself, " My hand, shoulder, and elbow are wack, but at least my back isn't jacked like it was for my SFG I . " A couple hours later my back tightened up like a drum and bent me to the right. Had to laugh. Interesting to me, on both occasions, after all the cert. activity I felt better everywhere.

Last edited:
Last September I reached down to pick up a bag. Not a big bag or a heavy bag. It was an empty laptop bag. Very gentle click and a slight burn. I straightened up and it was fine. No discomfort, nothing. I thought I must have imagined it. Next morning I couldn't get out of bed. Couldn't move. Stayed there for two days. When I could eventually get up and walk while supported I went to my doctor who ordered an MRI as I had some neuro symptoms. MRI confined no disc impingement. Didn't get the MRI until November and only then because of a cancellation so you can imagine what the intervening months were like. So I was cleared to rehab. They made me an appointment to begin rehab for May 2021. I politely declined and did it myself. Whatever I did must have been hella swellin' overnight to get me to the point were I literally could not move. Moral of the story is never ignore those little tweaks when they happen because they might not be so little in a day of two.

McKenzie's, "Treat Your Own Back" has an interesting anecdote on this subject...
...His explanation is that postural things can be all the more important when we're warmed up and our tissues are more pliable because they'll deform more easily in that state.

I'm interested to know what you do post workout Steve please? I think I've read that you go straight back to your desk and carry on working. I also work at home and train at lunchtime.
After seeing the recommendations for the McKenzie method here on the forum, I bought the book this winter and have overcome some neck pain.
I'm delaying sitting back down and doing some extensions after eating which is making my break even longer.
Do you have a hack? Or just great posture perhaps?

I'm interested to know what you do post workout Steve please? I think I've read that you go straight back to your desk and carry on working. I also work at home and train at lunchtime.
After seeing the recommendations for the McKenzie method here on the forum, I bought the book this winter and have overcome some neck pain.
I'm delaying sitting back down and doing some extensions after eating which is making my break even longer.
Do you have a hack? Or just great posture perhaps?
The elbow cobras GTG style on the hour, mentioned by Steve in an earlier post seems to me to be an excellent idea for most everyone.

“Besides saving 0-15 minutes “. That right there. If you are a time pauper there are occasions when a warm up just isnt possible. I suppose you can scale down on these instances if warm up is part of your drill. For me a few practice swings or nothing is all I do, if that - mostly it’s just straight in. I like the idea of still being able to go from 0 to 100mph when needed. Sport aside, day to day when something heavy needs moving I won’t make people wait while I warm up 80). Power on tap can be useful. However I have found that in recent years those few practice swings, when I can fit them in, take a while longer to kick in with each passing year, which is annoying because my plan was to stay 35 forever.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom