all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Do Kettlebell "People" Wear Long Pants in the Gym?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I will begin with my own observation.

I wear a thin, cotton-poly blend pants, sold by a running outfit, all year long, both inside and outside. In the winter, I add long underwear and a second t-shirt with long sleeves on top of my short-sleeved one; in the summer, once in a while I resort to shorts but mostly not. Call me a creature of habit, but it's basically thin, comfortable, loose-fitting clothing all year long, and a second layer when it's cold out.

-S-

I am the opposite, and wear shorts all year round for training. I am in California, so my winter still never really gets below 50, maybe down to 40 a few days a year, and shorts during training just feel better. In Jiu Jitsu I have to wear pants, but with kettlebells it's almost always shorts for me.

I always felt the trouser issue came from a tactical readiness requirement for first responders.
I always wear shorts except when greasing the groove or throwing in a few extra TGUs, in which case it could even be a pair of jeans.

I think some folks wear the tactical pants because it seems a part of the “culture”. Generally, mine varies (pants or shorts), depending on what I’m going to do, and especially that there are no hard seams that could irritate my forearms.

Here is a 5 page thread (now closed) from 2018 where we went on at length about pants…

Shorts 100%, when training or not, except to go to work, when climatic conditions require, and for the rare formal occasion.

"Formal," to me, means I have to wear long pants.

Since during the school year, I do a lot of my training in short minisessions during breaks throughout the day in my office, I wear pants I can train in (usually some form of "tactical" cargo pants with some stretch in the fabric). Thankfully, this is acceptable at my job.

I did have a blowout once in the past when I was training at work in regular khakis. I got some duct tape from a custodian, went in the bathroom, took the pants off and patched them from the inside, put them back on, and went about the rest of my day. Either no one noticed, or if they did, they were too polite to mention it.

Last edited:
This question was posed to the StrongFirst leadership ( Brett Jones and friends ) at my SFG II, " Why do you all wear pants ? "
Answer: " Dress a level up from your customers/students . "
At my RKC cert back when Pavel was there, my team leader was Doug Nepodal (an excellent instructor), who wore a kilt and flip flops.

He did a really heavy sots press (IIRC, it was at least 40kg and might have been the Beast) in the kilt.

Last edited:
I own several pairs of tactical pants. And while they are roomy and allow for good rom..

I pretty much only train in shorts unless it is a deadlift day or it is really cold out and then I wear sweats. But that is a rare occasion.

When working with the different weights of kettlebells, I wear long stretchy pants so that I don't hurt myself or anyone else nearby if I happen to drop them accidentally.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom